Sheffield United vs Tottenham Hotspur | Sunday 17th Jan, KO: 14:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To build on your point.

Something I have seen in our fanbase in the last few years is that whenever we lose or have stuff go against us, it is apparently because we were bad. Not because the opponent did something well or had our number on the day.

Obviously losing sucks and there is a lot of emotions involved in football. But in my opinion you get over it much faster if you are able to give credit where it is due to the opposition.

This doesn't mean that we can write off our own bad performances or ignore genuine constructive critique of our style of play or our players. But there are two teams playing a game so one has to outperform the other on the day.
spot on mate

I like talking about things that actually happened that number often can't capture.

For example today the goal that they scored Dier misread the ball coming in but their is no stat for that. We can see it because we watch the game but it doesn't show up in your table. Against Southampton when Ings scored a goat that was ruled offside again a ball went over Diers head. That doesn't show up in the table either.

The table shows that if the ball is coming in in front of Dier he is effective at heading it out, I have zero qualms with that he is very good at dealing with straight forward balls and has the height and strength to deal with them very well. The issue here is that he is bad when the ball is going over his head and he has to read the play to adjust to where it is going. That doesn't show up in your table because he is often not there to have it be an aerial duel.
I am curious as to how you determined that Dier misread the ball?

Quite impressive that you can determine what was on a guy's mind by just watching a play and his reaction. I have never come across anyone else that could do that.

Have you ever thought of commercializing this ability or you think you have a higher calling?

Never said I could read his mind, that is some next level leaps of logic that you are taking there.

Never said I could read his mind, that is some next level leaps of logic that you are taking there.
His judgement of the cross is made in his mind. If you cant read his mind and he didnt say it out aloud, then you cannot determine what his judgement/reading of the cross was (and thus cannot say he misjudged/misread the cross).

Its basic logic

His judgement of the cross is made in his mind. If you cant read his mind and he didnt say it out aloud, then you cannot determine what his judgement/reading of the cross was (and thus cannot say he misjudged/misread the cross).

Its basic logic

What?

You can see what he did and how he (poorly) reacted. Did not have to read his mind.

Figures and feelings both matter.
Swiss-Tony-from-the-fast-show-a-tax-returns-are-like-making-love-to-a-beautiful-woman.jpg

What?

You can see what he did and how he (poorly) reacted. Did not have to read his mind.
He reacted how most players would react to their team conceding a goal. You said it yourself, the fact that he missed the header does not mean he misread the cross. A player that repeatedly misreads crosses wont win as much aerial duels as Dier does

Dier defended the cross correctly. He didnt have a man, and thus tried to head the ball from his position. He didnt have to be able to reach the ball, as his jumping can still throw off the attackers behind him. It was Davies that screwed up by not getting/staying in front of his man and not attacking the ball.

You seem to have players you like and would like them starting ahead of other players - I can understand that, but you seem to reach too far in trying to criticize those players that are starting ahead of your guys.

Anyone else think Alli not making the bench is a decent sign he is off in this window? Mourinho talks him up after the FA cup, dosent introduce him off the bench v. Fulham and then he dosent even make the bench for this game. I like most of what Mourinho brings but his vendettas and saying one thing doing another frustrate me and id imagine really piss off Dele.
Another case in point? Toby. How the fuck isn’t he starting?
Thought 5 at the back worked well against Sheffield but I have seen it fail against teams who had more creative thrust up the centre and who play high lines in defence.
Overall happy but Mourinho needs to man manage a little better I feel. Before you nay sayers jump in and say Dele, Toby, Sanchez etc have been shit, I agree and don’t agree.
If Dele isn’t training hard enough sort it out, we know he has the quality. No need to act coy in the media that he might play a bigger part then sideline him for the next two games - says more about Mourinho’s pettiness than dele’s efforts in training IMO.

They were crossing balls in constantly. One was always going to go in. Point is we should have the ball not them
Spurs with 58% possession.

The better teams cross from open-play less. In the Premier League, only 1 out of every 92 open-play crosses produces a goal. The net effect of open-play crossing is negative or neutral at best.

So, the counterargument is that the defense would prefer an opponent having > crosses from open-play than <.

Anyone else think Alli not making the bench is a decent sign he is off in this window? Mourinho talks him up after the FA cup, dosent introduce him off the bench v. Fulham and then he dosent even make the bench for this game. I like most of what Mourinho brings but his vendettas and saying one thing doing another frustrate me and id imagine really piss off Dele.
Thought 5 at the back worked well against Sheffield but I have seen it fail against teams who had more creative thrust up the centre and who play high lines in defence.
Overall happy but Mourinho needs to man manage a little better I feel. Before you nay sayers jump in and say Dele, Toby, Sanchez etc have been shit, I agree and don’t agree.
If Dele isn’t training hard enough sort it out, we know he has the quality. No need to act coy in the media that he might play a bigger part then sideline him for the next two games - says more about Mourinho’s pettiness than dele’s efforts in training IMO.
Dele simply doesnt fit into Mourinho's 4-2-3-1. Unless he transforms his game, dont see him getting into the regular rotation.

Toby, Sanchez and Rodon all seem to be vieing for the second CB spot alongside Dier. Toby seemed ahead before his injury but think its up for grabs again.

I think that it was a clear message to Dele and I can't see how it wasn't when Gedson was included. I am not sure if that is a sign that he is leaving in January or not because that seems to be a Levy level decision at the moment.

As for Toby, him not starting makes zero sense other than Jose having some dumb idea that he doesn't fit in a 3 man backline. Toby has by far been our best CB and with the time off between games should be starting as much as his body allows.

Back
Top Bottom