Sheffield United vs Tottenham Hotspur | Sunday 17th Jan, KO: 14:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have been converted into the 'winning is everything' camp. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to see some beautiful play, but without creativity in midfield, we are struggling to produce that. Having said that, maybe Tanguy and Gio (when fit), can provide that. We have two of the best strikers in the country on our books, we should definitely be attacking the opposition more. It is very frustrating when we sit back - just asking for trouble.
Liverpool scored one goal in their last 4 PL games.... so much for attacking and high pressing football.
Some fans are asking for too much and nobody can satisfy them.

Couldn't say but it is higher than Toby this year and top guys like Toby and Jan in their primes.
VGA6kRM.png

Per the Premier League website.
Dier this season vs Toby and Jan's best 4 seasons (minutes played).
For the minutes / headed clearances, clearances and aerial duals won, the lower the number, the better.
Jan's best season (for these stats) were pre-Pochettino.

Edit: Pochettino era began 14/15.

Last edited:
VGA6kRM.png

Per the Premier League website.
Dier this season vs Toby and Jan's best 4 seasons (minutes played).
For the minutes / headed clearances, clearances and aerial duals won, the lower the number, the better.

But that doesn't take into fact misreading balls coming into the box which is what we are talking about.

I know you love tables but the problem is they rarely show what actually happened, especially in cases like this.

But that doesn't take into fact misreading balls coming into the box which is what we are talking about.

I know you love tables but the problem is they rarely show what actually happened, especially in cases like this.
I know you love talking about your feelings and your opinions but the problem is that humans usually perceive things inaccurately and with bias(es).

I know you love talking about your feelings and your opinions but the problem is that humans usually perceive things inaccurately and with bias(es).

I like talking about things that actually happened that number often can't capture.

For example today the goal that they scored Dier misread the ball coming in but their is no stat for that. We can see it because we watch the game but it doesn't show up in your table. Against Southampton when Ings scored a goat that was ruled offside again a ball went over Diers head. That doesn't show up in the table either.

The table shows that if the ball is coming in in front of Dier he is effective at heading it out, I have zero qualms with that he is very good at dealing with straight forward balls and has the height and strength to deal with them very well. The issue here is that he is bad when the ball is going over his head and he has to read the play to adjust to where it is going. That doesn't show up in your table because he is often not there to have it be an aerial duel.

I like talking about things that actually happened that number often can't capture.

For example today the goal that they scored Dier misread the ball coming in but their is no stat for that. We can see it because we watch the game but it doesn't show up in your table. Against Southampton when Ings scored a goat that was ruled offside again a ball went over Diers head. That doesn't show up in the table either.

The table shows that if the ball is coming in in front of Dier he is effective at heading it out, I have zero qualms with that he is very good at dealing with straight forward balls and has the height and strength to deal with them very well. The issue here is that he is bad when the ball is going over his head and he has to read the play to adjust to where it is going. That doesn't show up in your table because he is often not there to have it be an aerial duel.
Personally I think the guy that crossed the ball had so much time to accurately pick his spot , Dier just couldnt get up high enough and davies most likely thought Dier would get a touch on the ball.
In other words, its was a very good cross and a great header and there is nothing you can do about it apart from stopping the cross which is a common failure we have.

That's just a lazy take, though.

ZpxTwYt.png

1. Dier is in the right position here.
sZtkL8Q.png

2. Ball goes to an unmarked Fleck. Dier is leading the line, pushing up.
cqlwntT.png

3. Dier in the right position still, Davies goalside of his man (McGoldrick).
IjV3StJ.png

4. An inch perfect cross just over 6'3" Dier's reach, and McGoldrick beat his defender Davies to the ball.

An extremely well placed (and fortunate) cross. If it would have gone to Reguillon's man, the goal would have been offside. Got to give credit where credit is due.

Agreed. Sometimes PL professional players are going to make really good plays and there’s not a ton you can do about it.

Which is why more high pressing and a more attacking mentality like we had today, is so important. Even without NDombele’s moment of brilliance, we were still a goal up.

It isn't lazy it is what happened and what often happens with Dier.

As always you are free to have your opinion but we will continue to see the same things out of Dier because it is a clear problem he has in his game.
Per usual, you're heavy on opinions and light on facts.

Their goal today was not due to Dier "misjudging a cross."

Dier is a league leader in headed clearances, and he does not "misjudge crosses" at a higher rate than any other top CB.

Per usual, you're heavy on opinions and light on facts.

Their goal today was not due to Dier "misjudging a cross."

Dier is a league leader in headed clearances, and he does not "misjudge crosses" at a higher rate than any other top CB.

I didn't say their goal was due to Dier I said it was another case where he misjudged the ball in the air going over his head.

I would put the blame on Davies losing his man if we are laying blame but that doesn't change the fact that Dier misjudged the ball once again.

Personally I think the guy that crossed the ball had so much time to accurately pick his spot , Dier just couldnt get up high enough and davies most likely thought Dier would get a touch on the ball.
In other words, its was a very good cross and a great header and there is nothing you can do about it apart from stopping the cross which is a common failure we have.
To build on your point.

Something I have seen in our fanbase in the last few years is that whenever we lose or have stuff go against us, it is apparently because we were bad. Not because the opponent did something well or had our number on the day.

Obviously losing sucks and there is a lot of emotions involved in football. But in my opinion you get over it much faster if you are able to give credit where it is due to the opposition.

This doesn't mean that we can write off our own bad performances or ignore genuine constructive critique of our style of play or our players. But there are two teams playing a game so one has to outperform the other on the day.

I didn't say their goal was due to Dier I said it was another case where he misjudged the ball in the air going over his head.

I would put the blame on Davies losing his man if we are laying blame but that doesn't change the fact that Dier misjudged the ball once again.
Lol.

Not being able to reach a ball is not the same thing as misjudging it.

Back
Top Bottom