Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• Yes

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters
I think we go as strong as possible for the first Leg then if we end up with a 3 or 4 goal lead then we can rest players for the second leg , if not we go as strong as possible ! Top 4 is great but I want to see us win a trophy , a chance for European glory! Surely this is what football is about?
If we somehow got to the final and the last game of the season between us and Leicester Meant the winner gets top 4 then this thread could get really interesting !

We will be shorter odds than that to win the Carabao.
Why not just rest all our players for the next 9 weeks for that then while we are at it ?

User name is a bit of an irony, if you don't mind me saying
If we win the Carabao we really must at least (try to) qualify for the EL though the league otherwise we’ll end up in the new third tier UEFA Europa Conference League (UECL), which I can’t imagine anyone wanting or watching.

So unless we want to lose the Carabao we can’t put all our efforts into the EL and effectively give up on the league.

Can’t believe 41% would be happy to not win anything when an EL trophy gives us CL football anyway
Perhaps they believe that if we focus in the Premier league we can make the top 4.
Premier league is a marathon
Europa league is reliant on just like 1 or 2 matches to go right for us

As I said to you yesterday we have to try for both , We have a big squad and 'our 2nd XI' isn't too bad. Rotate , rest etc.. and be competitive in both

With us out of the FA cup we should be able to focus on both the league and the EL equally.

We aren't going to be playing 3 games a week any more.

This ‘get tired’ thing is rubbish.

If you are playing well, teams winning and you are injury free then games can’t come quick enough.

However, if a player has a niggly injury and isn’t training and getting patched up for games then yeah, missing a few games is the right course of action.

Tired LOL. Even funnier when a centre back gets put into this bracket
No one has said anything about CBs getting tired, they'll be naturally rotated anyway as we don't seem to have a first choice pairing.

Also your theory that 'getting tired' is rubbish doesn't hold for the latter half of the season given there's been no mid season break. Of course winning reduces mental effect of physical fatigue, but it doesn't eradicate it.
For example, you will have far greater risk of muscular injuries if you play many games in a short period of time. You can't psych yourself out of muscle tear.

Perhaps they believe that if we focus in the Premier league we can make the top 4.
Premier league is a marathon
Europa league is reliant on just like 1 or 2 matches to go right for us

As I said to you yesterday we have to try for both , We have a big squad and 'our 2nd XI' isn't too bad. Rotate , rest etc.. and be competitive in both
The game is about Glory
The game is about 4th

No team in the history of the premier league has been 9th at this stage of the season and finished top 4. Historically speaking the top 4 will come from the teams currently 1-5th. Maybe 6th at a push.

Add in the fact we have lost 5 out of last 10 games I think people need to accept top 4 is gone. Too many teams above us need to drop points while we massively change our own form. Top 8 is realistic. Top 6 will be hard.

After 2/3 of the season there’s usually a reason to be in your league position.

Even if we replicate our first 14 games (a period that saw us top) we only get to 61 points.

EUROPEAN GLORY OR BUST!!!!

We have reached the R16 of the Europa League, with a maximum of 4 more ties, and thus 7 matches, potentially left to play.

There are some tough teams left such as Manchester United, Leicester, AC Milan etc.

Given it's very unlikely we will finish top 4, I think it would make sense to prioritise trying to win Europa when we are still in the competition.

This would entail, in my opinion, resting Kane, Son, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Reguilon for Vinicius, Alli, Lamela, Winks, Davies.

I have highlighted in red the games we should rest players in.

7th March: Crystal Palace
11th March: EL R16 1st leg
14th March: Woolwich
18th March: EL R16 2nd leg
21st March: Aston Villa
------------------------------------

3rd April: Newcastle
8th April: EL QF 1st leg
11th April: Manchester United
15th April: EL QF 2nd leg
18th April: Everton
21st April: Southampton (TBC, likely if MC beat Everton in FA Cup QF)
25th April: EFL Final vs Man City
29th April: EL SF 1st leg
1st May: Sheffield
6th May: EL SF 2nd leg
9th May: Wolves
------------------------------------

23rd May: Leicester
26th May: EL Final
-----------------------------------
Yep. The games before EL & city final we should rest key players. Top 4 is gone so I'm not too fussed about 8th or 11th etc.
Let's be honest, lately when we play our key players we usually lose anyway in the league under jose.

Yep. The games before EL & city final we should rest key players. Top 4 is gone so I'm not too fussed about 8th or 11th etc.
Let's be honest, lately when we play our key players we usually lose anyway in the league under jose.
Yep.

Also the people who are angrily disagreeing with me, aren't articulating what they actually want to see happen...
Do they want Kane or Son to play 5 games in the space of 14 days on 2 separate occasions?
Do they want us to drop Kane/ Son in the 1st or 2nd leg of a Europa League K/O tie? (imo only acceptable if we've got a massive 1st leg lead... unlikely)
Do they want us to drop stars for the games sandwiched in between the Europa legs, due on fatigue? That's NLD and Man U.

I'm suggesting rest key players for the start of these packed schedules in games against Palace and Newcastle.
Not seen a coherent alternative so far, but lots of anger.

Regarding the original question, should we sacrifice the PL for the EL.

My answer would be, do we even have a choice at this point?

Its slim odds on us going on a 10 game winning run which is probably what we would need to squeak back into the top 4.

Back
Top Bottom