Slumpen Hotspurariat?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

(I imagine a lot of this isn't terribly new, but it's been eating away at me all night, so I had to type it up. It's a bit of an expansion on the 68-point thread, so I felt it should be free of the line's tyranny)

Question: Are we slumping/swooning/collapsing/running out of steam?

Answer: No.

First, have a look at our possession statistics:

89CMvBE.png

I include both BBC's and Opta's statistics, because while they're often very similar, sometimes they're not. But in both cases, the five-game trend is similar: we've dipped a bit in the past few weeks, but we're still keeping the ball at a higher level than we did for all of the 2012 side of the season. Sadly, of course, Brendan Rodgers hasn't yet gotten the FA to award 3 points for victory in possession, but let this be a first silver lining: the lads seem to know what they're doing and they're holding the ball better than before.

What about scoring? I started collecting this data to try and figure out if we were being as "wasteful" with our chances as we're portrayed in the media. Of course, that relies on collecting data for all the clubs. Instead, I'll have a look at us over the season:

PibWnrW.png

Again, both BBC and Opta numbers are presented. It's a hairy mess, for sure, but a few more marked trends do emerge. We've been hovering around two goals per game for almost the whole season. So that's nice. But both the BBC and Opta have noted a decrease in our shooting, even during our unbeaten run earlier this year. For Opta, our shots on target have remained steady, but for the BBC, they have fallen as well. I wonder why we may be shooting less and less, despite still being able to score at relatively the same rate. Maybe we're more disciplined. Maybe there aren't as many opportunities now as we move more through the middle (with Dembélé and Parker feeding a central Bale) instead of along the wings, bombing in speculative crosses.

Yet again, considering we're still scoring, it's hard to get too worried about the decrease in shots. Furthermore, it's also worth noting how volatile the shooting statistics are (in comparison to goals or possession).

Finally, then, how are our results looking? We all know we had that great run interrupted a month ago, but how does that hiccup look in context?

HCmtd3j.png

And here's where I got a whole lot less nervy once I realised I had forgotten to include the Swansea result in the first draft of this post! The wine-coloured line is the rate at which we need to be getting points in order to finish with 69 points, the minimum for fourth place. We're currently precisely in line with that rate, despite having briefly fallen behind thanks to Berba (er, thanks to disaffected football). The last time I posted this chart, I suggested that Harry's 2012 swoon was matched by our own mini swoon in GW9–11. If you consider just the green and yellow lines, they run vaguely parallel, with green's waiting for the yellow Redknapp flatline in order to catch up with our unreal run in Autumn 2011. But while that string of losses was matched this year by wins, we started losing just as the lads started finding points again last year. Swansea away got us back on track, and we're now one point behind last year and exactly in line with our earlier fourth place finish. Not great, but not terrible!

Of course, we're competing against other clubs this season, not Spurs of years past. And the fact that we remain in fourth place despite being behind the curve is not to be discounted. But, still, our position could not be more precarious, considering games in hand and our own run in.

Time to start winning again, lads.

We are in worse form now than we were when we had lost once in 3 months.

And we are worse off than when we were 7pts clear of arse on equal games.

The stats are wrong.

It's strange to think that the only games that we haven't managed to get a goal in within the league have been against Wigan, Stoke, QPR and Fulham. We need to rectify our home record next season as well - find a way to break down these clogger shite teams that try to counter-attack us or get a set-piece goal

It's strange to think that the only games that we haven't managed to get a goal in within the league have been against Wigan, Stoke, QPR and Fulham. We need to rectify our home record next season as well - find a way to break down these clogger shite teams that try to counter-attack us or get a set-piece goal
enter Tiny 'passmaster' Tom or player of a similar mould

If you look at the PDO table for the season, Spurs are the 'unluckiest' in the division.
So we're doing the right things but they aren't paying off.

For the cup half full crowd, PDO regresses strongly towards the mean. So that astonishing resurgence is due any minute now. Or at the start of next season, whichever.

enter Tiny 'passmaster' Tom or player of a similar mould
I'd rather play Sandro against someone like Stoke as you just know that they would work all weak to exploit someone like Carroll on the field with physical tactics. That being said, I do feel that he deserves some game time against some of these relegation-fodder sides. A midfield of Carroll, Dembele and Sigurdsson has enough creativeness, firepower and strength to overcome teams like Wigan

I'd rather play Sandro against someone like Stoke as you just know that they would work all weak to exploit someone like Carroll on the field with physical tactics. That being said, I do feel that he deserves some game time against some of these relegation-fodder sides. A midfield of Carroll, Dembele and Sigurdsson has enough creativeness, firepower and strength to overcome teams like Wigan
Doesn't have to be Carroll, we just need a pendulum ala carrick to break them down. If we have someone who can truly decide the pace of the game (and does it well) then it'll be much easier to break those sorts of teams down.

Doesn't have to be Carroll, we just need a pendulum ala carrick to break them down. If we have someone who can truly decide the pace of the game (and does it well) then it'll be much easier to break those sorts of teams down.
Carroll and Huddlestone are the only two players we have (IMO) that are disciplined enough to be relatively unadventurous in their movement and control the pace of the game. Holtby wonders too much and Dembele is too much of a dribbling threat to sit back deeper. I don't really like Huddlestone as a player anymore as his tackling and movement is dreadful, but as a passer he is good.

Carroll and Huddlestone are the only two players we have (IMO) that are disciplined enough to be relatively unadventurous in their movement and control the pace of the game. Holtby wonders too much and Dembele is too much of a dribbling threat to sit back deeper. I don't really like Huddlestone as a player anymore as his tackling and movement is dreadful, but as a passer he is good.
Carroll is my first choice of the ones we have avaliable as he's proved he's capable of putting defence splitting passes through in every match he's played, but I know Holtby is capable of doing it too (and be disciplined) from a mate who watches everything German football. He's just too eager to make things happen and impress, if he's told to sit deep and control the game he will

Carroll is my first choice of the ones we have avaliable as he's proved he's capable of putting defence splitting passes through in every match he's played, but I know Holtby is capable of doing it too (and be disciplined) from a mate who watches everything German football. He's just too eager to make things happen and impress, if he's told to sit deep and control the game he will
Time will tell with Holtby. Like you I think he's been too eager to impress since joining the club - but his technical ability is still very good. It's something that AvB will have to work on over the off-season and assess whether he can do so. I believe he can.

Time will tell with Holtby. Like you I think he's been too eager to impress since joining the club - but his technical ability is still very good. It's something that AvB will have to work on over the off-season and assess whether he can do so. I believe he can.
The thing about Holtby is that he's got more than one way to play football. Play him as a CAM and he'll always look to play the quick one-two to get the defence out of shape and get through the lines(it is the best and easiest way of getting through after all.). Play him deeper though and he'll look to be a bit more composed on the ball, take his time a little more to pick the best option for the team to set up an attack and he did it very well for Schalke when asked to do it and I'm sure he'll do both things very well for us once he calms down a little and understands the team better.

I think Holtby showed first half that he's capable of doing the disciplined job, in my opinion he was a little too disciplined (deep) at times in the first half and it looked to me like he was told to get further forward in the second half, especially when Huddlestone came on.

Man that is depressing reading... I can't imagine ANY of the other Top 3/4 clubs have 'managed' that?
Maybe one of those teams would've hoped to shut out a top 4 club this season... but not all FOUR of them...
FFS if we don't make it to 'the promised land' it will be because of these stats, not yesterdays' draw!

FFS if we don't make it to 'the promised land' it will be because of these stats, not yesterdays' draw!
Agreed. Especially because those games against Wigan, Stoke and Fulham were all at home; not good enough in my book. Having a freak result against a side like those at home is excusable, but not scoring against all three is something that needs addressing.

The fact that stands out to me above any other is that we still can't find a way of beating teams who are physical and defend with 10 men...almost any truly successful side can and does find a way. Had we, tired I know, of bought another striker we almost definitely wouldn't be having this conversation.

Back
Top Bottom