Slumpen Hotspurariat?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It really is shocking we rate in the bottom 3 in both shot% and save% and have the worst luck in the entire league. One can say it's bad luck or it has been poor finishing.
We had a look at the shot% back in February, and what surprised me was that Spurs were fourth in the league in terms of goals per minute of possession, just behind Manchester United, Chelsea, and Woolwich. In other words, we were right in line with the other clubs around us. So although we were taking a lot of shots and not getting many goals out of them, it was hard to say that our possession on the whole was worse.

As for the save percentage, the speculation was that Lloris trips up many plays before the shot can even be taken. Back in early Februrary, when I looked at this, Lloris had, yes, the fewest saves per 90 minutes–but he also had the fewest goals per 90 minutes. So the percentage deceives a bit because Spurs see so few shots in general.

It's strange to think that the only games that we haven't managed to get a goal in within the league have been against Wigan, Stoke, QPR and Fulham. We need to rectify our home record next season as well - find a way to break down these clogger shite teams that try to counter-attack us or get a set-piece goal
Huddlestone provided an answer for me when he came on against Everton. My gut was saying "let me out," but the more I watched, the more obvious it because - he moved to ball quicker (and with pinpoint precision) with his passing, hence continuiously shifting Everton's defensive line and structures. This worked fine as we had heaps more of the ball than they did. Thudd wasn't needed to move about the paddock like Dembele or even a head less chicken (erm, Holtby). For me, Thudd always looks like he plays at 70% effort but that's his style and knowing how best to use him is why in AVB we trust.

Well, no, but the point is well taken and worth keeping in mind in general.

If I can be a bit of a narcissist for a second (wait… who's going to stop me?), I'll say that one of my goals is to disabuse Spurs fans that there's something "so typically Spurs" about things that happen to our club. This forum is, on the whole, a pleasant break from that kind of mentality, but we all can imagine someone like Mike Leigh saying, "It's just so Spurs to cock it up at the end/to score too soon/to throw away a lead over Woolwich"… Those sorts of comments irritate me to no end because they're so obviously testable, yet the people spouting such opinions make no effort to actually test them.

The only thing that's "so typically Spurs" about our side is that it is made up largely of inexpensive players who are playing at a level that is commensurate with clubs that have more expensive rosters. That is, I do think that there's a certain amount of correlation between price of squad and points in the league (though I'm too lazy to test that myself--let's say it's a hypothesis!). This means that for Spurs to play at an elite (3.5th place, say), they will either have to spend lots of money or capture lightning in a bottle. For the most part, we make do with the latter…

So I don't think it's "so typically Spurs" to swoon late or to be plagued with injuries (something I've tackled elsewhere here). And the former is what I tried to indicate with this thread. Yes, we've got four points in four matches after a run of four (or five?) victories in a row. But I've also tried to show that of the indicators we have available—possession, shooting, and goals—none indicate a drop in form. Now there's famously "no" correlation between possession and winning (see Inverting the Pyramid), but I do think that when Spurs are playing they way they want to, they also win the possession battle, because they are recycling the ball into attacking positions, which takes time and equals more possession. So in that case, possession is merely correlated, but not causing, goals/victories. Since our possession hasn't changed much, it's hard to say we've been underperfoming or something in the past four matches in a way to suggest a multi-match "swoon".

Shooting, well… we've been shooting less lately. And that could suggest why we're not winning. But our goal rate remains the same as it was during our good days. So the lack of shooting isn't resulting in fewer goals, which suggests that there's no correlation between shooting and winning (especially since the fall in shooting had already started when we were still stomping all over the league).

Which means it's simply something else that's caused this hiccup. And I think that something else is this: Spurs are a team that wins 2–1. That's what we do. We score first (and often early), then score a second and concede late or do the opposite. Consider how many of our clean sheets were also 0–0 draws… we're just not terribly good at shutting down other sides. Of course, neither are our rival clubs, but they're more likely to win 3–1 or so (I'm speculating).

And that narrative works rather well to explain what happened recently: Anfield away was a 2–1 match with two outlandishly freakish goals (imo). I fully agree with the TFC podcast crew that the result simply doesn't match how we played. The next two matches I didn't see because of streams/traveling, but they also fit the narrative: one is nailed on 2–1 (Swansea away), and the other was… well… if you average two goals, some days you'll get four and some days you'll get none. And Everton was, again, a tricky bit of business in which we had to play an unfamiliar lineup, etc.

The point is that each match shows unique glitches that are still within the realm of random fluctuation, so it's impossible to draw long-term conclusions from the data we have. I don't think there's anything "so typically Spurs" about Lennon's and Bale's being injured, for example.

The problem with my position is that it can seem a Harryesque "some days are like that" that over-values an independent nature of each match, as though every match was played in complete isolation from the others. I definitely do not think that's the case, and there's absolutely nothing controversial about my saying that… after all, our rosters remain the same!

But even within "on average, Spurs win 2–1", it allows for the variations we've seen the past few weeks. If we had put together four straight matches without a goal, then I'd be more concerned, but for now, we're just doing what we do…
Making predictions based on stats is a difficult business in football. Our style of play has changed dramatically when Bale has started up front and Defoe isn't on the paddock (could explain the shot count) but I know Bale has scored the most goals in the league from outside the box. Still, great work and fuels a constructive conversation.

Back
Top Bottom