So I wrote to my local MP re-Standing. Here is his reply

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Basically I asked him to sign the EDM that was talked about on the last podcast.
He emailed me back saying he needed my full address in order to reply, I thought that is odd. Then today I got a letter, on very fancy paper no less!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What a prick.

He's a prick because he didn't immediately reply and say "yes, I'll introduce a private member's bill right away"?

You were, in effect, asking him to seek to change Government policy. If you want to do that then you have to send more than an email. You need to send studies and compelling evidence to show that standing areas can be perfectly safe and an option for cheaper tickets if they are run properly. You've got to effectively challenge the substantial reports and investigations that have concluded that standing areas are unsafe, and you've got to do it while there is another enquiry into Hillsborough.

Remember, you didn't just write to any MP, you wrote to a Tory MP. Hardly surprisingly that he is reflecting the policy of the Government is it, a government which has just commissioned another Hillsborough enquiry? To then brand him a "prick" because you didn't immediate get the response you were looking for seems a bit silly.

firstly, I didnt just email "ere mate, sign this will ya?"
I had quite a long and well penned email asking him politely to sign the EDM on behalf of someone who voted for him with the firm belief that standing in the modern game can exist safely. I mentioned the fact finding trip to Germany that he mentions in the letter and I also mentioned that a few PL clubs where at the very least thinking about the idea (Villa)

Its not the fact I didn't get the reply I was looking for, more how is little old me going to do anything other than this? I don't have lots of time to give up looking for reports and statistics or go around collecting a petition. This was me trying to get something just discussed, and basically he said "nope, chin up"

He also told you to go to the SGSA who advise the government on the matter. I thought it was a good reply, he took the time to give you a personal reply and told you who to take it to rather than give you a bog standard reply

Its not the fact I didn't get the reply I was looking for, more how is little old me going to do anything other than this? I don't have lots of time to give up looking for reports and statistics or go around collecting a petition. This was me trying to get something just discussed, and basically he said "nope, chin up"
Well, unfortunately, the only way to get things done is to work hard to see that they are considered. He's given you an option in his letter. If you feel strongly enough then you can take the time to contact the relevant authorities, have a dialogue and make a case. People who write one letter and then give up simply don't want their objective that much. Nobody gets anything from one letter, not even a job! You've got to put the work in to get anywhere. See if there any any campaigns you can ally yourself to. Do some research. Find out what other fans have been told. Speak to Aston Villa about the discussion they have had about standing areas. Speak to the FA. Speak to FIFA. Speak to UEFA.

There are lots of things that can be done if you wnat to do them. To write one letter to an MP and then get angry because he's not put it above everything else he has to deal with (such as constituents with serious illnesses, homelessness, unemployment, benefits issues, immigration issues, victims of crime and so on) and gone and solved your problem for you is seriously unrealistic.

You got a reply in 2 days, with reasoned, valid points and even a suggestion on what your next steps may be. (contacting the SGSA)

I'd be chuffed with that.

Well he's been nice enough to point out what needs to be done to bring about change. It's now up to you (or any of us that want the same) to do it. I think the next step is to contact clubs and ask them if they would support the idea and show "significant desire to change the current policy".

In fairness it's a reasonable reply and to move from the current legislation to allow safe standing needs a lot more public support, maybe an e-petition should be set up, I'm not 100% sure on the procedure but I thought once the petition had a certain number of people supporting it, it has to be debated.. I do like the idea of writing to MPs but there must be other avenues..

Agreed Sadler. Think about it, it reduces the price in tickets which then will mean clubs can't justify why they're charging so much. As if they're going to want to make less money (assuming not all clubs will make up for it in attendance numbers)

Agreed Sadler. Think about it, it reduces the price in tickets which then will mean clubs can't justify why they're charging so much. As if they're going to want to make less money (assuming not all clubs will make up for it in attendance numbers)

In theory clubs could charge half what they are charging now, but house 3 times as many, so in effect there is potential to make more money, add to that increased sales in the food and drink outlets and booking charges etc. And really the clubs can charge what they like the fact that football attendance hasn't dropped in the slightest during the recession shows what a massive demand there is. Increasing crowd capacity even at a slightly reduced ticket price makes sense whatever way you look at it.

It's just a politically sensitive issue, standing terraces are evocative of tragedies like Hillsborough and Heysel. There needs to be a change in the mindset of those at the top before this will ever happen. I think the fact that the truth has finally shown that the fans were not responsible at Hillsborough will go along way to changing that attitude.

In theory clubs could charge half what they are charging now, but house 3 times as many, so in effect there is potential to make more money, add to that increased sales in the food and drink outlets and booking charges etc. And really the clubs can charge what they like the fact that football attendance hasn't dropped in the slightest during the recession shows what a massive demand there is. Increasing crowd capacity even at a slightly reduced ticket price makes sense whatever way you look at it.

It's just a politically sensitive issue, standing terraces are evocative of tragedies like Hillsborough and Heysel. There needs to be a change in the mindset of those at the top before this will ever happen. I think the fact that the truth has finally shown that the fans were not responsible at Hillsborough will go along way to changing that attitude.

I see what you're saying and agree in general. Don't get me wrong I'd love them back. But would a club like Wigan back it when they know they won't get the attendance needed to get the money they need...?

I hope you're right :)

I don't know the answer here, but is 'safe standing' standing on a traditional terrace or a seated area where fans can stand?

If it's the latter then there is no incentive for PL clubs to push for safe standing because you'd still get allocated a seat in any case.

I don't know the answer here, but is 'safe standing' standing on a traditional terrace or a seated area where fans can stand?

If it's the latter then there is no incentive for PL clubs to push for safe standing because you'd still get allocated a seat in any case.
It's the former.

Personally I would prefer the latter. It would be nice to have nominated blocks where you could get a seat, but have the right to stand if you choose. It would be a bit like those intercity trains where you can book a ticket on either a quiet coach or a mobile friendly one. I personally would prefer that to standing only terraces, which I think some clubs would end up overfilling, and I don't think would be much cheaper than seats (despite the proposed ideal that they would be cheap tickets).

Back
Top Bottom