So I wrote to my local MP re-Standing. Here is his reply

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I disagree that the OP was lucky to get a response. In my experience you always get a response from your local MP sent on the Wedtminster headed paper. Maybe some MPs don't bother to reply but in that case they are ignoring a part of their duty.

I disagree that the OP was lucky to get a response. In my experience you always get a response from your local MP sent on the Wedtminster headed paper. Maybe some MPs don't bother to reply but in that case they are ignoring a part of their duty.
I've written tons of letters to MPs over the years as part of my job. Those that don't make effort just send you a one line letter signed by a secretary, or worse still a House of Commons acknowledgement postcard. Curiously I find that it's mostly backbench MPs who behave like this, with those who are busier or more in the public eye often sending more detailed and personally signed responses. Of particular note were Boris Johnson, Michael Portillo (when both were still in the Commons) and Glenda Jackson, who had all clearly engaged with the issues and had corresponded properly and personally. You'd think it would be the other way around.

I see what you're saying and agree in general. Don't get me wrong I'd love them back. But would a club like Wigan back it when they know they won't get the attendance needed to get the money they need...?

I hope you're right :)

A club like Wigan may not be that interested in pushing for it, but that does not mean they would be opposed to it. The clubs where the demand far and away outstrips the capacity, places like Spurs, Newcastle, Man Utd, Liverpool etc. Would have an interest.

The difference between standing next to an allocated seat, and standing in a "safe standing area" is the concept of that area being designed for standing, the rail seats providing an adequate barrier against concerns like crowd surge and crushing. Whereas in some grounds you stand up and you are almost tripping over the seat in front of you, in a safe standing area you would have a significant rail preventing you from going forward onto the rows in front of you.

And who says that standing areas HAVE to be significantly cheaper than seated areas, if the demand is there for standing terraces, then there is no reason clubs wouldn't be justified in charging 75% of a normal ticket price.

Supply and Demand isn't it :levystare:

Think I read on the FSF site that safe standing can increase capacity by 1.8 times so it's not exactly 3 times more. but if you extrapolate the figures then, assuming our new 'kop' style stand holds 20,000 seated and the rest of the ground makes up the other 35,000, we'd be looking at a total capacity of 71,000. As high as our demand is, I'm not sure the club would fill it every week without a significant drop in prices at least for the safe standing area.

So in short, everyone wins.
The only reason I can see the smaller clubs opposing is that it's just another way for the better supported clubs to make even more money and widen the gap further.

Back
Top Bottom