Son's Offside Goal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My apologies if this is in the wrong section

I know this kind of thing has been talked about before, and in the shit storm that followed the LFC defeat the incident seems to be largely overlooked, which is odd, given the potential impact the decision had.

The offside law is there to prevent players from seeking to gain an advantage by - in old time parlance, goal hanging. But with the introduction of the law a whole science has built up in (defences) running offside traps and (attackers) trying to defeat them, and now in the days of VAR, this farcical use of pseudo forensic science in trying to determine if a players wrist is in an offside position in relation to a defenders heel etc etc.

And what gets lost in some of this CSI drive for justice is the actual spirit of the game - in trying to make the game more entertaining, and trying to encourage teams to score goals, and not trying to teach teams to be negative in becoming cleverer at stopping them.

Son was determined to have had one insignificant part of his body in an offside position as he ran away from the opponents goal to receive a pass in a phase of play, prior to him receiving the pass that put him in a position - where he still had to work, to score the goal. The margin by which that determination was made was so minimal it was borderline comical, and I would be saying exactly the same thing had the same determination been made in the case of a Liverpool player, or any other team - because the application of that particular part of the law is killing the game in my opinion. The game of football was robbed of a beautifully well worked, well executed and clinically taken goal.

Offside needs to be re-worked to give the impetus to the attacker, even to the point where there even needs to be daylight between the attacker and the last defender before they are offside and that the attacker is facing in the direction of the goal in possession of, or intent on receiving possession of the ball. Not sure about the exact wording, someone better at this kind of thing than me can work on this and then bullet the caveats or exeptions, as long as the essence of the change is made to stop this farcical nit picking - which in my opinion is making a farce of the use of VAR and ruining the spectacle of football by robbing it of some wonderful goals.

Just don't use VAR. Then accept in slow-mo replays some show decisions will be given correctly and others not.

We only have the T-Shirt law in place as a direct result of VAR.

Or just have Sian Massey-Ellis run the line in every game.

Just puts chips on the players (doesn't matter where just make it consistent) and track them.
As for the ball leaving the passers foot- perhaps snickometer type tech? Or sensor pads.
Not like there's not enough money in football to make it happen.

Add a countdown timer of 30 seconds or whatever. When time runs out advantage given to attacker or whatever.

Just ideas.

Your right. Retrospectively add the goal we lost 2-3
Football doesn't work like that though. We go one up and we might defend deeper and not concede. Every action in the game is different and Kane likely doesn't get injured. Finishes 1-1 with Lloris palming a tame Milner strike into Salah's path for an easy finish in minute 89. ((I am very nervous about Lloris tonight)) . . ((Did we need another position to be nervous about?))

VAR should only be able to rewatch in real time. If you cannot see the player is clearly offside in real time then he is onside and goal stands. People watch Football to see goals not see them ruled out.

You're right. aguero's goal should have counted and we should have our champions league final appearance revoked.

There have been far worse offsides calls than Son's vs liverpool. The player was behind the liverpool line because of poor positioning when it was played to him. If his positioning was better, it would have been a goal.

The disallowed goal for Ings and Soton yesterday was as bad or worse.
38695000-9206881-VAR_official_Mike_Dean_decided_that-a-30_1612089321808.jpg

I always wonder why they show the offside incidents from an acute angle and never in line with it.
Surely it would end all controversy to show it in line?

Because I don't think even for the Premier League it would be affordable to have something like 10,000 cameras set up at every game. The VAR technology takes the angles into account. The Son one was not even really close, that is not the incident to debate changing offside laws over.

It's definitely something that needs to be looked at

Es2DiiLXEAET-Pm

Es2s6SmXIAIaT2m

For a start - he has his back to goal. Is he really gaining an advantage from having his back to goal, 40 yards out and were Liverpool disadvantaged by Son having his back to goal in that particular situation?

Yes, he did get involved in the build up play - but what if Ndombeles pass in that situation then hits a Liverpool player and deflects to Kane (Whilst Son is still offside in the build up), then Kane plays Son through and we score. It gets given.... why? Son was still offside in the build up?

If it happened against us of course and the goal was actually given - I'd be fuming and all of us would have said it was offside etc.

But when you have to slow something down so much, draw lines, zoom in and rule it out off the basis that the smallest pixel is on the wrong side of said line, it's a bit ridiculous.

I think with Son he was running away from goal, so no real advantage as he’s heading in the wrong direction? Could adapt it like that, except it then becomes subjective about if it allowed the play of passes with backs to goal.

Now the technology’s here, definitely safer - though irritating - to just say any part, as it is.

I like the feet idea mentioned above if we are sticking with the current application but with VAR I prefer if it was used to change clear and obvious mistakes.

Have the VAR guy watch the play 2-3 times in real time and if it isn't clear that it was offside go with that. Maybe we will get burned by a goal that is mm's off and I will change my tune but even when we benefit these ticky tack calls with lines that may or may not be drawn in the right place feel cheap.

Just get rid of the obvious calls and live with the ones that take a CSI level of analysis to determine and even then often have fans debating whether it was the right call or not.

Because I don't think even for the Premier League it would be affordable to have something like 10,000 cameras set up at every game. The VAR technology takes the angles into account. The Son one was not even really close, that is not the incident to debate changing offside laws over.
I know what you mean but I havent ever seen a camera angle where it is directly in line with any incident

Personally prefer an offside rule that simply looks at where the feet are

Also add more and/or better refs and assistant e.g. 8 assistants with two on each side of the pitch. Giving the money involved in the game and what players earn, I dont think the refs are paid well enough to attract the best talents.

Video review should only be for off the ball incidents missed by the ref but spotted by another official.

Back
Top Bottom