Southampton (A) 9th March - 1500 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Possibly. I think it's his blindspot. There are only so many wars of attrition you can fight with the same set of troops when ultimate victory is not possible. You need reinforcements or morale will take a beating. We no longer have tactical nor technical superiority to other teams so these games are always going to be even harder.

That’s true, I agree, teams have figured us out and that extra bit of energy and pressing that this team was renowned for has slipped away over the last few seasons, also, our squad has aged and that’s probably another reason for it, most of these players when Poch first met them would run through a wall for him because they wanted to impress but now they are older and all internationals maybe they don’t have that desire anymore, they think they are too good for it?

That’s probably why Poch has so much success with younger players and why he has done so well with this team up until now.

We needed reinforcements I agree, that’s why I disagree with people when they say it doesn’t make a difference.

Although I will say this, this team is good enough for top 4 and there should be no excuses for missing out imo.

Rose and Walker-Peters just awful today. Attack not clinical enough in the final third. Such a positive first 45 goes to waste.

Need this break to get our heads back into it, but looking at our schedule I think we will end up in the 77-81 point range.

We need United, Woolwich, Chelsea to draw with each other and also drop some points against the 7-11 club.

Fuck me.

It has been apparent pretty much all season long that our squad has been short. We have done fcuk all incoming transfer business for over 400 days. It is mental.

Agreed. Forget our need for a CM or AM and all that, we need some kind of midfield nutter who will not allow the recent performances to take place.

For me there was too much smiling and joking at our missed chances. Someone should be getting in their faces and put the fear of God of missing the next one. Some players thought we just had to turn up to win. The manager being in the stands didn't help. Someone pitchside should have been shouting orders onto the pitch.

Why, oh why, didn't we play the strongest team? Aurier/Trippier for KWP. Alderweireld? Son? Lucas again flattered to deceive. Our impact subs were a full back, Llorente and 15 minutes for Son. We're in a real dogfight now for top 4.

Again, the squad's woefully short despite the CL heroics.

Rose and Walker-Peters just awful today. Attack not clinical enough in the final third. Such a positive first 45 goes to waste.

Need this break to get our heads back into it, but looking at our schedule I think we will end up in the 77-81 point range.

We need United, Woolwich, Chelsea to draw with each other and also drop some points against the 7-11 club.

Fuck me.

Davies was royally shafted by Pochs faith in Mr "I want to play up north and get paid" Rose.
He's not even the better player. He's been decent in most games, no more, and nowhere near the player before the injury.
Should have just rewarded Davies the last 18 months as number one, and we'd have an absolute quality LB by now. He already was, but this is Pochs biggest downfall, while others get carte blanche to be crap for 15 games in a row

I'm fucking better then eriksen at free kicks...and corners. Please drop him rest of the season
He’s not deserved a start for a while. Yet again there is no pressure on his place.

James Ward Prowse has scored how many free kicks ? and It’s been Years since Eriksen did the same !

This run of 4 games and performances are an utter stain on our club and on us as fans. Shades of 2012 all over again and rinse and repeat is coming. poch is likely done I am sad to say.

He’s not deserved a start for a while. Yet again there is no pressure on his place.

James Ward Prowse has scored how many free kicks ? and It’s been Years since Eriksen did the same !

This run of 4 games and performances are an utter stain on our club and on us as fans. Shades of 2012 all over again and rinse and repeat is coming. poch is likely done I am sad to say.
Poch done? Jesus take a step away from the edge.

For so long poch's double sessions were why we were so fit and could press the shit out of any team. Nowadays so many players can't play more then one game a fortnight. What the fuck has happened.
They were all 21 and full of energy back then. We used to be able to show off that our squad was the youngest in the league. The flip side was they didn't have the know how and experience to hunt down Leicester.

Now they've all turned 25/26/27 and do have that nous to grind out undeserved victories, but no longer have the legs.

Ideally we should have a good blend of youth and experience, but we've never managed to find that sweet spot and hence haven't won anything as a result.

Possibly. I think it's his blindspot. There are only so many wars of attrition you can fight with the same set of troops when ultimate victory is not possible. You need reinforcements or morale will take a beating. We no longer have tactical nor technical superiority to other teams so these games are always going to be even harder.

Very good post and absolutely.

We have been sussed and unless we are at our best we are susceptible.

It is why I laugh at highly paid pundits.

So we have to prepare ourseleves for a possible life without Eriksen and Toby, and with Europa League football. It feels like fucking 2013 all over again:pochfacepalm:
Surprised you didn't see that we needed a little more possession in that game, especially in the second half. Someone to calm things down a bit and calmly pass the ball about unlike the hot potato that it seemed.

That one feels like a season turning defeat. Blew the league 2 weeks ago but a win today would have left us looking pretty comfortable for top 4, particularly if the three behind us drop any points tomorrow. The manner of that defeat is just not acceptable.

They thought they had it in the bag at half time. Eriksen looks like he knows he'll be elsewhere next season too.

Your point is a good one but Soton were always going to get better. This game is on Harry and the rest up front that bumbled away chance after chance when they were trying to give the game to us. In our last 4 or 5 games vs them they have come back hard in the second halves even scaring us from 3-0 down twice. We have been abject even in the first half when folks were saying stupid things like Dier is our savior and Dele is the next coming of messi.

Kane deserves some criticism today because he didn’t make the most of some chances, Moura as ever is a pea brain, and we can pick holes in various facets of our team but Poch’s midfield malaise has been costing us for at least a couple of years, longer imo. It’s a much deeper rooted problem.

Back
Top Bottom