Southampton vs Spursy Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair comments Dixie, we differ obviously, but you agree with me that there is some similarity at least in status between us and Villa, whereas Woolwich left both clubs trailing in their dust years ago.

So for me it's simple, Villa are nearer to us than Woolwich, therefore I prefer Woolwich to win.

Mental! Villa might be deemed as 'big' as us on a theoretical scale for winning the FA cup (even though they may still go down actually) VS The smug scum of the earth lifting another trophy.

This is bait, don't take it!

Pochettino returns to St Mary's for the first time since his acrimonious departure to Spurs last summer.
But ahead of the vital Premier League clash, France midfielder Schneiderlin says Saints have moved on.
Southampton fans are planning a 'Ronald Koeman Day' on Saturday and intend to wear orange in support of the former Dutch international, who replaced Pochettino as
Saints manager.

I saw this just now too... why has every game Spurs play gotta be some form of protest match from the home fans...? First Newcastle... now this... are Spurs that much of a bore that fans have to amuse themselves in other ways when we come to town??

I saw this just now too... why has every game Spurs play gotta be some form of protest match from the home fans...? First Newcastle... now this... are Spurs that much of a bore that fans have to amuse themselves in other ways when we come to town??
If it distracts them who cares?

Maybe it's time to start the "Argentina! Argentina!" chants. Just as long as Lamela realises it isn't for him until he stops playing like an electrocuted chicken on speed.

Fine, no problem. I'm not asking you or anyone else to want Woolwich to win the final. I'm just giving my analysis, which is based on many years of thinking about our status in the game, and has been honed in many a debate over those years. I have an in-depth knowledge of how many trophies other clubs have won, when they won them, how important they are, and also other important criteria such as fanbase, income and (foreseeable) future prospects.

I didn't just come to my conclusion about Villa today, I've stated in other threads on here and other forums, how (and why) for me it's between us, Villa, and Everton for the 6th place in the status stakes. (Of course go back just five years and we were fighting over 5th spot, but City have blown all three clubs apart with the combination of their recent past and more distant achievements)
dont care about villa or everton, just want Woolwich to lose full stop. in any case if villa become a big club it is because of financial injection not because of a tin pot here or there. Good luck to them
Same XI for me. Continuity and hopefully some confidence gained will see us get a similar result.

Vlad at right back for me

Since this is apparently the Aston Villa thread...

The reason winning the FA Cup does not make them a threat is because it's a one off. They could win it and still be sweating relegation next season. We won't be. It's not a sign of a trend or moving up, it's just an isolated piece of silverware for a single overachieving tournament run. They're Wigan with a little bit of history from long ago, that's it.

Mental! Villa might be deemed as 'big' as us on a theoretical scale for winning the FA cup (even though they may still go down actually) VS The smug scum of the earth lifting another trophy.

This is bait, don't take it!
It's most definitely not bait, it's part of my carefully considered Weltanschauung (or more accurately Englandschauung :)) of where we stand in the football hierarchy.

Last edited:
dont care about villa or everton, just want Woolwich to lose full stop. in any case if villa become a big club it is because of financial injection not because of a tin pot here or there. Good luck to them

Vlad at right back for me
So the FA Cup is a 'tin pot' nowadays? The Cup that made us famous is now just a tin pot, sad.

So this means there are nw only two meaningful trophies we can win? The Prem and the CL? Neither of which we have been anywhere near in their various formats for at least thirty years, maybe more.

Furthermore, such a viewpoint actually adds weight to my view that Villa are a serious rival of ours. Since they've won one of the trophies 'that really count', the EC, which we haven't even reached the final of (tho we wuz robbed v Benfica:coys:) and they have won the league far more times than us and far more recently (1981 compared to 1961) :thumbup:

Last edited:
So the FA Cup is a 'tin pot' nowadays, the Cup that made us famous is now just a tin pot, sad.

So this means there are only two meaningful trophies now to win? The Prem and the CL, neither of which we have been anywhere near in their various formats for at least thirty years, maybe more.

What's more such a viewpoint actually adds weight to my view that Villa are a serious rival of ours, since they've won one of the trophies that really count, the EC, which we haven't even reached the final of (tho we wuz robbed v Benfica:coys:) and they have won the league far more times than us and far more recently (1981 compared to 1961) :thumbup:

Maybe tin pot was the wrong word, as I did not mean to disrespect our past victories, I just meant that for me, trophies are not the end of being a fan. I like watching games and having a laugh. I only like trophies as a means to having a bit of a laugh. I do not see competition for trophies as a particularly legitimate reason for a rivalry.

That being said, I do not realistically see Villa as threatening us anytime soon, mostly because of their crap squad and limited finances

So the FA Cup is a 'tin pot' nowadays? The Cup that made us famous is now just a tin pot, sad.

So this means there are nw only two meaningful trophies we can win? The Prem and the CL? Neither of which we have been anywhere near in their various formats for at least thirty years, maybe more.

Furthermore, such a viewpoint actually adds weight to my view that Villa are a serious rival of ours. Since they've won one of the trophies 'that really count', the EC, which we haven't even reached the final of (tho we wuz robbed v Benfica:coys:) and they have won the league far more times than us and far more recently (1981 compared to 1961) :thumbup:
If it was 1982 I might take the rival threat seriously. They've had a good cup run, in no way are they or will be until they sort themselves out on and off the pitch a rival in terms of the league.

Sherwood definitely didn't endear himself to me at all when he was in charge at Spurs. Weirdly now that he's at Villa I'm finding him a lot more likeable. What he's done with the players there in a short space of time has been great for them. I don't begrudge them any success and I don't really see the logic that winning the cup will make Villa a bigger team than Spurs.

I'd like them to smash the fucking Gooners a fucking new back door in the final. Give them a proper fucking shoeing. I want to see fat men in red crying their eyes out all over the internet the next day. I'll buy any Villa fan I meet a pint after that. I'll have 5 goals from Benteke please Mr Tackticks Timmeh!

Maybe tin pot was the wrong word, as I did not mean to disrespect our past victories, I just meant that for me, trophies are not the end of being a fan. I like watching games and having a laugh. I only like trophies as a means to having a bit of a laugh. I do not see competition for trophies as a particularly legitimate reason for a rivalry.

That being said, I do not realistically see Villa as threatening us anytime soon, mostly because of their crap squad and limited finances
Fair comments Aaron. We see football differently, but that's no problem.:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom