SPURS-FANS-STAND-BAN!!!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Problem is that , now our south stand is not got the away section next to it. Wheres at old WHL it used to be south stand then we had our 1882 group from here would turn up for some games plus the away fans next door it used to always have a good atmosphere , like i remember against a few bottom league teams at old WHL we would all stand up in blocks 35/36 etc depending how many away teams would bring , but now i feel like apart from the teams like (city , united , liverpool , Woolwich, west ham and chelsea) it will be sitting down apart from the new south stand which will always have people standing

Thinking bout this, the rot set in during the last season at WHL. When the N/E corner was taken away for building and the reduced capacity, meant loads were relocated in the South stand, hugely reduced sales to the members and that was literally a lottery, although they called it a ballot. It was a joke and only benefited those that requested a ticket in the higher price band, what a shocker, nice one that..

Anyway, for the few games I was able to get a ticket that season in the South Stand, there were already swathes of the crowd now sitting, where it had always been standing. First time I had seen aggro between standers and sitters in the South Stand. I guess the writing was on the wall from then :(

This will sound ridiculous but i would just loved a bigger White hart lane like just made it exactly the same as old WHL just bigger stands like what Liverpool have done with that new stand like no modern designs just a bigger white hart lane with maybe even more improved acoustics would been amazing, i love our new stadium but dont like the new types of (fans)

The City game put to bed the prices and age groups being the issue.
Probably the best home atmosphere since the 84 final.

Sadly that won’t happen again because half the people who stood and sang have been turfed
Built a proper ground for who it makes you wonder?
No offence but where was Sons personal fan club before Wembley?

I saw a news clip about hip hop clubs in posh areas not letting in people who looked....well, too hip hop.
One of them said, “they want the best music, and the best DJs but not the real crowd”

Funny thing here is, we built in ine of the poorest boroughs in the country, and banged on about community, but we do th want locals
:harrysmile:
Yeah. If we harnessed the local support we would have the best atmosphere in the country by a mile. There is so much flair, passion and vibrancy in Tottenham. Instead, and this is no offence to anyone, we import fans mostly from the home counties and well off suburbs (myself included). I understand we had or do have some schemes to this effect but it is not enough.
Also, there should be a percentage of the South Stand guaranteed for 18-25(or 30) year olds who have tickets at max £20 per game. All GA tickets should be max £30 in my opinion. Obviously, I am living in a pipe dream as the morons on spurs community are debating whether you can chant just as loud sitting down or standing up. :pochfacepalm:

Last edited:
I watched as the stewards pulled people out at the Man city game for standing and knew this shit is on the cards.
All we can do is protest the best you can, don't buy a bloody thing in the ground, they'll soon get the message.
It really saddens me as we were sold this idea of a fans end modelled on Dormunds yellow wall. Like an idiot it believed it. Looks like my days are numbered, the club doesn't want old terrace die hards like me any more.
They want consumers who stuff their faces with food and drink with every opportunity, and maybe carry a tune after being prodded by the PA system just prior to kick off.
The Wi Fi will come in handy to send a notification reminding the consumers that the food and drink outlets will be open for more gluttony after the match.
I grew up with Percy Daltons, look what's happened to our game.

Seriously considering giving up my season ticket for next season, as it appears due to there policy i will end up getting a ban sooner or later. Season tickets cost to much to lose it to a ban., whereas if i were to buy tickets on a game by game basis i wouldn't be losing so much if i did get a ban for standing

Sitting down isn't always practical though.
How the hell am i meant to be able to launch sharpened 10p pieces at away fans and the police from a sitting position,and retain my accuracy that i have got through years of practice and hard work...
Jokes aside, it was always going top be like this.maybe the authorities have had a quiet word and said if you want safe standing, get your crowd to obey the rules now.

How the hell am i meant to be able to launch sharpened 10p pieces at away fans and the police from a sitting position,and retain my accuracy that i have got through years of practice and hard work...
Jokes aside, it was always going top be like this.maybe the authorities have had a quiet word and said if you want safe standing, get your crowd to obey the rules now.

Agreed.

Whatever happens re standing in future will be game-wide. Our stadium is irrelevant (other than we are well prepared).

Seriously considering giving up my season ticket for next season, as it appears due to there policy i will end up getting a ban sooner or later. Season tickets cost to much to lose it to a ban., whereas if i were to buy tickets on a game by game basis i wouldn't be losing so much if i did get a ban for standing

Same - i am a ban waiting to happen. Go back to membership. Once the novelty of the new stadium has worn off, tickets, apart from the BIG games, will be easy enough to come by. I can't get near an away ticket as it stands anyway.

Apart from Woolwich and maybe Chelsea/Utd & the Dippers i think tickets will be freely avaiable from the 2020-2021 season.

Surely the club could simply issue a statement to that effect and have a quiet word with those they have chosen to ban.

It’s almost as if Spurs are now trying to prise it back from the fans who have waited so long to home...”MINE!!! MINE!!! YOU CANT PLAY WITH IT!!!”

Surely the club could simply issue a statement to that effect and have a quiet word with those they have chosen to ban.

It’s almost as if Spurs are now trying to prise it back from the fans who have waited so long to home...”MINE!!! MINE!!! YOU CANT PLAY WITH IT!!!”
Oh i agree.not saying the club are handling it well, just that i think it was always going to happen.they should have been clear from the off.
Instead they were quiet and bigged up the "fans" end.So people who were in the Park lane thought it would be business as usual when they moved in.

Same - i am a ban waiting to happen. Go back to membership. Once the novelty of the new stadium has worn off, tickets, apart from the BIG games, will be easy enough to come by. I can't get near an away ticket as it stands anyway.

Apart from Woolwich and maybe Chelsea/Utd & the Dippers i think tickets will be freely avaiable from the 2020-2021 season.
Hopefully we’ll be mid table with the 36,000 thousand proper fans who were there in the 90s and 2000s, making a noise, standing and no one giving a toss because the “day trippers” went to “follow” Watford, who have since done a Leicester with Troy Deeney mooted at 350M.

Or we can maybe beat City, get Juve or Ajax, and you can sit down quietly eating Tottenham Pies.

#niceone

Built a proper ground for who it makes you wonder?
No offence but where was Sons personal fan club before Wembley?

I saw a news clip about hip hop clubs in posh areas not letting in people who looked....well, too hip hop.
One of them said, “they want the best music, and the best DJs but not the real crowd”

Funny thing here is, we built in ine of the poorest boroughs in the country, and banged on about community, but we do th want locals
:harrysmile:

Which supports my earlier point... A lot if this transcends Spurs and even the game itself.

RE your club analogy: Tarquin fuckers wouldn't know what constitutes the "best" djs or music anyway.... All just an extension of an overall style/packaged being marketed to them....

"Why is that the best?"

"....Ummm, well i paid a lot for it"

Same way these fuckers think they are buying the ultimate fan experience cos that's what the pricetag says....

Collectively humans are turning (turned?) into flash, brand-obsessed bling cunts prepared to live waaaay beyond there means trying to sneak a taste of how the proverbial other half live.. (Transfer envy anyone?)

McDonalds and Nike typically being signs that you are part of a post-conflict liberated society... Doesnt get much uglier than that as an indictment on the value system we 've allowed ourselves to succumb to.

Last edited:
I went to watch Bath Rugby a couple of years ago and couldn't believe the lack of interest in the actual match, most 'spectators' more interested in filling their faces with a burger and beer and chatting with companions or on the phone, the whole experience ruined by people constantly walking back and forth in front of me, completely blocking my view of the action. This is the consequence of modern life, where 'clients' expect corporate provision of environment, entertainment and refreshment, be that at home or at an event. Enjoy the bright, shiny bauble that is the NWHL, but expect nothing more than you would from a visit to the O2 or similar establishment.

It's not just Spurs but the premier league in general that has become a global ' brand' and supporters are seen as ' customers' where clubs and the media want every last penny in your pocket. You only have to listen to the sterile atmosphere at premier league grounds these days to understand this.

I know many at Spurs who have been priced out over the years, proper vocal supporters. The club is happy to ditch them for a customer with more money that will sit nicely and without fuss in the stadium.

The younger generation won't know any different and it's a shame, my lad looks at me with disbelief when me or my old man tell him about times on the shelf or away games packed in singing until your voice went.

My first visit is Brighton so I can't really comment on the heavy handed approach by stewards but I don't like what I am reading on here.........

Btw, as per mention of City in CL being better... Club always seems to turn a blind eye in Europe... When we're showcasing the club to the rest of the continent. Coincidence?

It's not just Spurs but the premier league in general that has become a global ' brand' and supporters are seen as ' customers' where clubs and the media want every last penny in your pocket. You only have to listen to the sterile atmosphere at premier league grounds these days to understand this.

I know many at Spurs who have been priced out over the years, proper vocal supporters. The club is happy to ditch them for a customer with more money that will sit nicely and without fuss in the stadium.

The younger generation won't know any different and it's a shame, my lad looks at me with disbelief when me or my old man tell him about times on the shelf or away games packed in singing until your voice went.

My first visit is Brighton so I can't really comment on the heavy handed approach by stewards but I don't like what I am reading on here.........
Go with an open mind mate.Maybe the stewards would have had a talking to as well

I'm all for those who want to sit being allowed to sit, and those who want to stand being allowed to stand (or at least not being actively hassled for standing). There are plenty of both types of fan, and also plenty who will just go with the flow either way. For all these types of fan to be happy though, there'd need to be:
  1. A clear demarcation between those areas of the ground where sitting is enforced and those areas where a blind eye is turned to standing. Similarly to how everyone knew that you shouldn't expect to be able to sit in the PL Lower or to stand in the West Lower at old WHL.
  2. The right number of blocks allocated to the two "zones" of the ground so that those who strongly want to sit or stand can get into the right area to suit them, and as few fans as possible find themselves in the wrong type of block. In other words the right balance of supply and demand between the two zones
Number 1 could be achieved IMO if the club can come up with some very carefully-worded statements/warnings for fans when they buy their tickets. Maybe something like "please note that the seat you have selected is in a block where persistent standing during the game is strictly prohibited. Failure to comply with this may result in ejection from the stadium" for the sitting zones, and "please note that the seat you have selected is in a block where fans have been known to frequently stand during the game. If you would strongly prefer to avoid this, we recommend that you select a seat in a different part of the stadium where you can be guaranteed an unimpeded view of the pitch while seated" for the standing zones. Get fans to tick a box saying they've read these warnings at the point of sale, and then there are much less grounds for complaint from both types of fan. Obviously to keep the authorities happy they wouldn't be able to actually say that standing is permitted anywhere, but I'm sure they could find a way to word the warnings so that fans can read between the lines while still being able to comply with safety regulations.

Number 2 could be a bit trickier. The fact is, the % of the crowd that wants to stand isn't fixed for every game - it depends on kick-off time, Saturday vs Sunday, opposition, etc. What's clear is that the 7000 seats in the South Lower with the safe standing future-proofing aren't enough to cover the demand for standing. The right number is somewhere between 7000 and 20000. The easy option would be to make the whole South a sitting-not-enforced zone all the time, but there'd still be matches where less than 17000 fans want to stand. And there'd still be fans who'd want to be able to enjoy the atmosphere of the South while being able to sit down...

Of course the other thing the club can do to help their case with the authorities is clamp down on away fans standing. But actually that's a bit of a slippery slope, as it'd surely lead to other clubs doing the same when our away fans come to visit, and that could cause all sorts of problems with our away support!

I went to watch Bath Rugby a couple of years ago and couldn't believe the lack of interest in the actual match, most 'spectators' more interested in filling their faces with a burger and beer and chatting with companions or on the phone, the whole experience ruined by people constantly walking back and forth in front of me, completely blocking my view of the action. This is the consequence of modern life, where 'clients' expect corporate provision of environment, entertainment and refreshment, be that at home or at an event. Enjoy the bright, shiny bauble that is the NWHL, but expect nothing more than you would from a visit to the O2 or similar establishment.
And that's the reason that I think the ban on alcohol in view of the pitch is a blessing in disguise. If beer at seats was allowed, there'd be a never-ending stream of people going back and forth to the bars throughout matches.

Back
Top Bottom