Spurs Questions of the Day/Week - Trivia Awesomeness etc..

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Spurs Questions of the Day/Week - Trivia Awesomeness etc

you've shamed me into rereading it until I understood. Then I spent half a minute considering the data collection involved. Then I bailed.

Getting the lat/long of every league club's stadium in England wouldn't be too tricky. All that info is on wikipedia. It's just a bit time intensive, especially since wikipedia doesn't give decimal coordinates. There's a—shock—extra click of... fuck it... whining about it might take only marginally less time than doing it...

I'll surely take a list of all stadia with lat/long coordinates. I can plot that shit pretty and we can get some answers.

It's the Argentina teams, Boca Junior have like 12 rivals within 15 miles. Buneo Aires (sp?)

OK, I got all the coordinates and ran a distance matrix in qgis. I'm not sure that these are correct, but the computer tells me:

1. Goodison Park / Anfield
2. The Valley / The Den
3. Stamford Bridge / Craven Cottage
4. Loftus Road / Craven Cottage
5. Boleyn Ground / Brisbane Road
6. Loftus Road / Stamford Bridge
7. Bramall Lane / Hillsborough
8. City Ground / Meadow Lane
9. Ashton Gate / Memorial Stadium
10. The Hawthorns / Bescot Stadium
11. Britannia Stadium / Vale Park
12. White Hart Lane / The Emirates

(Rosie47, your data was a mess)

Here are the stadia:

S8biQ.png

(Rosie47, I don't mean to be rude. I just figured by the time I parsed what you sent me, I could've just built up the dataset by hand)

City Ground was a data entry error--I mistyped the arcminutes. With the corrected data, you're right, they are the closest two.

Griffin Park is in the dataset, but it may be a question of precision. My coordinates are precise to the arcsecond, and that might not be precise enough.

According to my data, 13. is White Hart Lane / Brisbane Road, 14. is Loftus Road / Griffin Park, 15. is The Valley / Brisbane Road, and then on and on.

olJNu.png

Here are the bottom 20. Distance, again, given in degrees…

What have we learned here? Plymouth is remote and Swansea/Norwich is the farthest match in the PL. Which surprised me a bit.

KduFD.png

Ok peeps, a recent study showed that Spurs produce a good amount of players that end up playing for one of the big 5 divisions (England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France).

http://www.sportingintelligence.com...rs-for-clubs-in-europes-elite-leagues-131201/

These are players who were developed by Spurs for at least 3 years during the ages of 15 to 21.

13 of these players were only produced by Spurs and 2 were also produced by another club during these ages. 8 of the players are still with Spurs and 7 are with another club in one of the 5 big divisions. Who are the 15 players?

Off the top of my head, so I'm probably wrong on a few...Bale, Lennon, Caulker, Livermore, Walker, Naughton, Rose, Huddlestone are still here.

I need to think about the others.

I haven't actually worked out the answer yet so let's get some more suggestions in before we work it out.

Back
Top Bottom