Spurs v Liverpool 16 Dec 20:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are enormous underdogs in this game.

Liverpool 11/13 54% chance to win
Draw 56/19 25%
Tottenham 37/10 21% chance to win

I have to wonder what the bettors are seeing that I'm not. Liverpool have serious injury issues and they were dominated for long stretches by Fulham of all teams. This seems to be an excellent matchup for us to play the counter-attacking football we excel at. I like our chances.
Perhaps our dreadful record over the last 60 years up there. How many have we won? Is it 3 or 4 now. Does not seem to matter if Liverpool are having a poor season and we are on top form, we just seem jinxed. At least we will not have to put up with listening to the biased Sky personnel as they do not have the match. Those times we did win came out of the blue from memory and not from being top of the league. I would take a draw now.

We are enormous underdogs in this game.

Liverpool 11/13 54% chance to win
Draw 56/19 25%
Tottenham 37/10 21% chance to win

I have to wonder what the bettors are seeing that I'm not. Liverpool have serious injury issues and they were dominated for long stretches by Fulham of all teams. This seems to be an excellent matchup for us to play the counter-attacking football we excel at. I like our chances.
Probably something to do with them not losing at home in the league for something like 3 seasons now.
And the fact that our record overall is woeful at Anfield.

But I agree, the injuries should be factored in and 21% seems on the low side. I would make them favourites though.

I don't get putting people on ignore. It like giving them permission to post toxic shite.

TBH I don’t have the time or inclination to argue with some people on here who post more in one day than I will in a month.

So easier just to stick on ignore or I would never come on here.

Similar to spending time with people you think are dickheads.
Rule number 1. Don’t.

Tanganga out with a shoulder injury that he got against Antwerp. 2-3 weeks on the shelf.
Lamela has a Achilles problem.
Bale still sick.

Stevie has been industrious in his recent performances and certainly helped the team achieve PL best defensive record. But he hasn't been very productive offensively.
Hope Dele given a chance in place of him in this game. Probably join in as sub if we are chasing the game. Stevie has a great engine. Dele too.

Liverpool vs Tottenham, Wednesday 8pm (Play Super 6 - win £250,000)

Surely, Jose can't do it again? Can he?

In the last four fixtures Tottenham have had the fewest number of touches in the opposition box of any team in the Premier League (44), yet, they have beaten Manchester City and Woolwich, drawn with Chelsea and were a Vicente Guaita last-minute masterclass away from three more points at Crystal Palace.

During that period, no team has conceded more touches to the opposition in their own box than Tottenham, too.

Man City, Chelsea, Woolwich and Palace all had a combined 128 touches in the Spurs box but Mourinho's side came out the other side with just one goal conceded and even that came via an unforced error by Hugo Lloris. We are talking peak Jose Mourinho here.

However, I am really struggling to fathom how they will be able to allow Liverpool so much territorial advantage without getting punished.

Since the start of last season, no Premier League player has had more efforts on target from inside the box than Mohamed Salah (68) and only Jamie Vardy has netted more goals than the Egyptian from that location (29). If Salah gets a chance to work an effort on goal from close range, he is skilful enough to find the gaps between the Tottenham defenders flying his way.

Spurs will make it a frustrating evening, but Liverpool will find a way through in what should be a low-scoring encounter.

There is a trend developing of fixtures between 'big-six' rivals producing fewer goals than the market expectation. The Manchester derby 0-0 means the last eight 'big-six' clashes this season have seen an average xG figure for total goals of just 1.52 with all eight matches producing fewer than 2.5 goals. It is that time of the season where avoiding defeat is perhaps more important than winning the game and it is resulting in risk-averse football.

Tottenham will be here for the 0-0 but Liverpool will break through late to win in a game with under 2.5 goals. That's a tempting 4/1 shot.

JONES KNOWS PREDICTS: 2-0 (8/1 with Sky Bet)

I get hard when they write us off

According to Klopp, Matip and Keita could play tomorrow - didn´t confirm, didn´t rule them out.

I think it´s time to stop all this talk of injury crisis at Liverpool. Virgil Van Dijk is still obviously the biggest difference in relation to last year´s team - and the bench in general lost quality as well -, but their first team tomorrow could be something like: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Fabinho, Robertson; Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita; Firmino, Mane, Salah. This is absolutely nothing compared to what we faced last season. Apart from the CB position - and by the way, I think people underestimate Fabinho as a CB -, this is a proper Liverpool side. Playing at home - undefeated in their last 44 games -, in front of fans, in a very sensible week for the club.

In my opinion, it´s as close as it gets to a final. Not in terms of mathematics. Not because City or Chelsea are not title contenders as well - they are. But we´ve accumulated points to get top of the league, then we successfully passed the City-Chelsea-Woolwich sequence. Now we are levels with the current champions, and we face them at their fortress. This is the final boss.

Trying to put it in a moderated way: this is the most important game of the season´s first half.

Last edited:
Astonishingly, senile football pundit Mark Lawrenson has us drawing tomorrow, as does Dougie Payne out of Travis

tenor.gif

He had us beating Palace last week, the hopeless dypsomaniac. I seem to remember he got 2 correct last weekend (win/lose/draw, not scores). Southampton and Leicester, the waste of space. Why is my license fee contributing to his bank balance?

Who's he 'competing' against this week? Yet another pop star nobody's heard of, who hasn't watched a football game in their life, just so he can 'win' again?

I don't like him.

He had us beating Palace last week, the hopeless dypsomaniac. I seem to remember he got 2 correct last weekend (win/lose/draw, not scores). Southampton and Leicester, the waste of space. Why is my license fee contributing to his bank balance?

Who's he 'competing' against this week? Yet another pop star nobody's heard of, who hasn't watched a football game in their life, just so he can 'win' again?

I don't like him.
Travis have been around for a long time, they were a one album wonder around 20 years ago.
Saw them Highlight the Saturday at Glastonbury in one of the worst headline acts of all time, the singer can't sing for shit and the sound was so bad all you could hear were the drums.

Their album the Invisible band was decent, but it tragically foreshadowed their mainstream appeal for the next 20 years

Oh look God is speaking for his people again
you infantile bore sammy. You are not winning an argument by misrepresenting things I have posted and then attacking me for things that you have made up. Thats twice you have done that in succession. Are you so bereft of wit and intelligence that this is all you have left?

This is arcspace territory, where he tells lies about me evading paying tax and running from the police for child sexual abuse - do you want to stoop to that kind of bullshit as well, just how low do you want to drop the bar sammy? How far down the barrel are you going to scrape, in an effort to try to score points?

get a life, and stop this ridiculous mud slinging.

This is supposed to be a match thread, not your personal vendetta thread

you infantile bore sammy. You are not winning an argument by misrepresenting things I have posted and then attacking me for things that you have made up. Thats twice you have done that in succession. Are you so bereft of wit and intelligence that this is all you have left?

This is arcspace territory, where he tells lies about me evading paying tax and running from the police for child sexual abuse - do you want to stoop to that kind of bullshit as well, just how low do you want to drop the bar sammy? How far down the barrel are you going to scrape, in an effort to try to score points?

get a life, and stop this ridiculous mud slinging.

This is supposed to be a match thread, not your personal vendetta thread
What a long non football post for a match thread

Back
Top Bottom