Spurs v Lyon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't wish to muddy the waters here, but the difference between our team now and under Ramos is exactly why the UEFA rankings are not entirely reliable for predicting current form.

5 years is a long time people...

I don't wish to muddy the waters here, but the difference between our team now and under Ramos is exactly why the UEFA rankings are not entirely reliable for predicting current form.

5 years is a long time people...
Well you have muddied the waters, because the UEFA rankings aren't just about five years ago. They're about OVER the past 5 years, I hope this has cleared the waters for you. :)

Please note also the ONLY TIME we have won a trophy in ENIC's less than glorious 12 year reign is FIVE YEARS ago under Ramos.

Not. I thought you knew something about stats, which is why before I've taken your arguments before seriously and debated them.
The side that played us on Thursday was MUCH weaker than the sides that regularly made the CL knockout rounds in the past few years featuring the likes of Benzema, Lloris, Juninho etc. They haven't won a trophy since 2008. Their coefficients have been steadily declining over the past 4 seasons: 28.000, 19.150, 19.100, 13.116. Taking an average of the performances over the last 5 seasons does not give you an indicator of their current quality.

The side that played us on Thursday was MUCH weaker than the sides that regularly made the CL knockout rounds in the past few years featuring the likes of Benzema, Lloris, Juninho etc. They haven't won a trophy since 2008. Their coefficients have been steadily declining over the past 4 seasons: 28.000, 19.150, 19.100, 13.116. Taking an average of the performances over the last 5 seasons does not give you an indicator of their current quality.
Fair comment, however, both last year and currently this year they have outperformed us. So it's no surprise to me given those rankings they gave us such a good game. It seemed a surprise to many though, who seemed to think we were playing some kind of French Port Vale.

They remain a good/very good side, and despite their recent decline it will be no surprise if they knock us out. Should they do so they may well end up with a higher points tally this season than last season, thus ending their recent decline. Certainly they will end up with a decent points tally.

We were never gonna go down that season that Redknapp took over. I still think we could have kept Ramos and stayed up. We had too much individual quality to go down.

I thought the same about QPR this season and was especially confident when Redknapp took over that they would be fine...

HI Mikey, fair comments. It's up to people obviously when they go, but I don't get it either. If I've paid a lot of money and taken a long journey, as many early leavers do, why not watch the full game?

I disagree the game was shocking though. It was a hard fought game between two good sides, if people turned up thinking we'd win easily or play long periods of brilliant football, they haven't been following us or Lyon very closely. We rarely do brilliant these days except for the occasional 'magic moment'.

Thanks for the help.

:sandro:
No problem :)

I f people just want to look at current form in European competition, then they just need to consult the current year of UEFA coefficient points. As always this is an indicator not a sure fire predictor.

Just as bookies are as well. Results that go against the favourites happen many times. Few believed that Woolwich would lose to Blackburn, it was nice though. :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom