SPURS v SOUTHAMPTON midweek, Wednsday (is it?) 6'ish

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

spursposs.png

giphy.gif

Ryan is now learning how to get the best out of this group of players, already through the game into the second half he started to figure it out.
Sunday comes a little early in this process but we can hope, certainly a little more now after that second half.

Yeah like bringing on two crowd favourites like Bergy and Winks?

Well, got to admit I was bricking it a bit after the first 45. That was identical to every bad 45 we've had under Jose for the last 4 months.

Was really impressed with the boys in the 2nd half though. We were deserved winners when it was all said and done.

Wow were Saints poor after Ings went off though. I really like Ings the player and IF Harry does go, we could do a lot worse than Ings, but we saw today the problem with Ings... durability. After their hot start, Saints have been the worst team in the entire division since the start of the calendar year. Remember when Hassenhutl was going to be our next manager? Football comes at you fast...

Still though, good win, and at least gets me excited for Sunday.

Come ON you Spurs

How much of this was Southampton's own doing? They pressed like crazy in the first half, Ings sprinting back to his own box to make clearances. They faded big time.

Then Ings going off injured was a big moment.
Was thinking the same. The first hour was no better than what we’ve already seen this season. The first ten minutes possibly the worst we’ve played yet.

Much better last half hour though. Maybe a half time team talk, maybe Southampton knackered themselves. Three points though!

It's going to take well into next season to see any real difference in overall performance.

These players have no ability to play in offensive patterns right now. Everything is off the cuff. It's going to take significant work on the training ground to change that. But the mental freedom at least made a slight difference today.

Well, got to admit I was bricking it a bit after the first 45. That was identical to every bad 45 we've had under Jose for the last 4 months.
Mourinho had traumatised the team; made them nervous and jittery. Tonight reminded me of the munchkins in The Wizard of Oz. When the witch is killed, they poke their heads out from here and there cautiously, not sure what to expect. Two minutes later, when they realise it's all clear, they're eating lollipops and having a fucking sing-song.

Mourinho had traumatised the team; made them nervous and jittery. Tonight reminded me of the munchkins in The Wizard of Oz. When the witch is killed, they poke their heads out from here and there cautiously, not sure what to expect. Two minutes later, when they realise it's all clear, they're eating lollipops and having a fucking sing-song.
Ding-Dong!

Bale doing Bale things. I said recently that nobody should expect him to be what he once was. But what he can still do is moments of brilliance, like yesterday, if you get him on the ball. He can produce things that the like of Bergwijn and Moura simply can't and for me, if fit, should always be a part of our front three no matter who we are playing.

First half was a bomb scare performance wise but second half was much improved. I honestly believe with Jose in charge we would have got a draw without Kane at best yesterday.

If Bale can play like that on Sunday and Kane is back fit then I reckon we could do alright Sunday and at least keep it respectable with a 4-1 loss! :levyeyes:
If we can manage to get kane to shoot straight from kick off then at least we will finish with 1 shot on goal.

Our defence was fucking horrendous.

We could have been behind inside five minutes and if not for woeful finishing three goals down in twenty minutes.
Yeah sack mason what a cunt he is .... or just maybe STFU

We started like the same frightened rabbits we've seen for weeks, afraid to hold the ball for more than a few seconds, but after whatever was said at half-time we were transformed into a side that had the confidence to take a touch and get our heads out of their arses.

Our defenders won't become world class overnight, but it's a team game, once the rest of the team started playing football our second half defending was on a different level to the first.

Instead of first game in ragging on the team try looking for the positives ... that second half was much, much better than anything we've seen in weeks - or do you disagree?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom