Spurs v Villa Sunday 26 Nov 2pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why the fuck do you point out THE ONLY GAME EVER where he has scored in EPL.
ONLY. One time feat. Literally YEARS AGO.

We need some of this but he is unable to deliver it unfortunately.

Played ok vs Wolves.

This manager wanted to keep him around for his system despite us getting offers.

Do you not want him to perform or something? Why does it bother you so much? It's not like we have much choice.

Those thinking Dier will be dropped for a kid with a handful of lower division games under his belt are living in fantasy land.

How many times have I heard our fans blind faith in chucking players in over the years.. Be it Rodon, Clarke, Njie, Gil, Sessegnon, Scarlett, Phillips etc.

They stink the place out and do their development more harm than good. Fans with fuck all knowledge, experience or supporting evidence genuinely and furiously believe they know better than some of the best coaches in the world.
It's not fair to refer to it as blind faith, I'm quite sure that 99% of those begging for Phillips to start over Dier are accepting of the fact that he could be an utter disaster, just they'd rather take the chance that he could be a revelation, as opposed to the known quality of Dier...

It's a desperation measure rather than a rock solid plan.

This will be a disaster without Bissouma, Wolves was bad enough with him
Udogie being back will be a boost but I think this will be our toughest game of the season so far with all the players missing.

Without Maddison, Bissouma, Romero and Van De Van I just don’t see what there is for Villa to worry about. Of course Son is still there but who is going to get the ball to him in goal scoring areas? Who is going to keep Watkins under control? Who is going to bring the ball out from the back?
Getting the ball to our front three is 100 percent the problem.

And we won't have an answer until Bentancur is back to his best, or Maddison returns.

Hojbjerg is always looking to pass backwards or to the side and will never try to run past a player.

We've got to at least try to integrate Los Celso or we may as well just bin him and pick a youth player.

Either that, or Ange will have to get fruity and try Kulu in the middle. But that's made even more difficult with Richarlison and Solomon out injured.
Doesn't seem fair, by that logic we should all have a hatred of Spurs due to the vast array of tits on here!

Actually, I'm fairly sure a lot of us do in fact hate Spurs...

Never mind.
Yup. Could easily be 4 on the trot. That'd be utterly disastrous.

That fucking Chelsea game!!! Really fucking hate them criminal mongrels!!!

Still can't get over how shite we were at Molineux but we still had the 3 points in the bag til...well...Dier...
day rage GIF
Those thinking Dier will be dropped for a kid with a handful of lower division games under his belt are living in fantasy land.

How many times have I heard our fans blind faith in chucking players in over the years.. Be it Rodon, Clarke, Njie, Gil, Sessegnon, Scarlett, Phillips etc.

They stink the place out and do their development more harm than good. Fans with fuck all knowledge, experience or supporting evidence genuinely and furiously believe they know better than some of the best coaches in the world.
do you know what Villa have in abundance? pace and movement.

Do you know what Eric Dier has the most trouble with? pace and movement.

Starting him would be absolute suicide.
Why the fuck do you point out THE ONLY GAME EVER where he has scored in EPL.
ONLY. One time feat. Literally YEARS AGO.

We need some of this but he is unable to deliver it unfortunately.
Fuck me.... State of this place...
The international break really HAS taken its' toll...

Is there any point us even turning up on Sunday??

Not according to some!!!

Their pace does worry me, but it also provides opportunity for us to exploit space if they commit forward. Not sure the same extremely high line will work, but then again dropping back 10m doesn't help either - when you're beat for pace, you're beat. Might as well just play on the front foot.

I just want a win and to send those disgusting fans back up north with their scabby tails between their legs. Don't actually care how we do it.

Played ok vs Wolves.

This manager wanted to keep him around for his system despite us getting offers.

Do you not want him to perform or something? Why does it bother you so much? It's not like we have much choice.

Yes we have choice.

No we did not have real offers. Bag of peanuts and half dozen eggs is not a real offer. If there would be any club stupid enough to pay real money for that imposter, we would have sold and got rid of this massive liability.

I want the club to perform and move forward. Lo Celso who has been the biggest flop in club history (yes, bigger than Sanchez who had decent periods, and yes, worse then Ndombele who has turned out catastrophic but actually had some ability when he joined, unfortunately he was lazy sclacker) and has literally used us as suggar-daddy to pay for his recovery between international football-breaks.

I want this club to cut losses where there is absolutely nothing to take. I want actual footballers get a chance (like Donley). Or if not attacking players then at least EPL level players.
Not someone who was supposed to be "an attacking midfielder" and has majestically let us down year over year over year and never contributed to clubs success.

As I said before - I always want Spurs to do well. And I support the players who are picked to play. But I've seen too many times Lo Celso play not to see that having him on is like playing with 10 men.

Fuck me.... State of this place...
The international break really HAS taken its' toll...

Is there any point us even turning up on Sunday??

Not according to some!!!

Very good question.

OFC there is a point.
Only please leave empty spaces and definition of uselesness that is Lo Celso out of the side, and we might have more even playing field ;) .

Yes. He really won us the game.

Despite coming on 1:0 and game finishing 1:2.

Wait, or maybe... if we could have played this poor football until the end and won it 1:0 it would have been better? Would you.. well agree. That actually winning the game instead of losing would have in fact been a better result? :sonhmm:
And even worse take...

Christ

do you know what Villa have in abundance? pace and movement.

Do you know what Eric Dier has the most trouble with? pace and movement.

Starting him would be absolute suicide.

Dier is not as slow as you would like to convince yourself.
Vdv is 8.67% quicker.
He's exceptionally good at defending aerial threats and set pieces, moves at 32.44 km/h (similar to Emerson) and will position himself with experience.

For me he lacks the confidence and ability to actually engage attackers. Pace and movement is an exaggerated myth.

beclause we can't afford to be a player down before the ball is even kicked.

Hojbjerg imo was pretty poor against Wolves BUT he should have got an assist with a very nice pass to Johnson who fluffed his lines. That's the thing with Hojbjerg, he doesn't go into hide mode like Dier, Lo Celso and Gil and can contribute even when playing bad.
He absolutely does hide if he’s taking the ball off the CB’s - not against playing him but no chance he should play DM. Can’t turn on the ball, boots the ball back in the direction it came from. He handicaps us massively there

If not Gio you're relying on Skipp as I don't think Bentancur can play 90 mins just yet.
Why not start him though? Gets a full warm up and then take him off on 45 or 60. Less risky than a short 2 min jog down the touch line then on, IMO and playing the last 40

It's not fair to refer to it as blind faith, I'm quite sure that 99% of those begging for Phillips to start over Dier are accepting of the fact that he could be an utter disaster, just they'd rather take the chance that he could be a revelation, as opposed to the known quality of Dier...

It's a desperation measure rather than a rock solid plan.
We don't have much of a sample size of Dier playing in Anges system.
It's blind faith because they literally haven't seen Phillips play.

IfAnge likes what he has seen for the youth side and in training, so be it and I would be convinced he made the right call.
If Dier starts (as I would expect as more likely) I also will be convinced Ange made the right decision, even if we lose in injury time.

Back
Top Bottom