Spurs v Villa Sunday 26 Nov 2pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes we have choice.

No we did not have real offers. Bag of peanuts and half dozen eggs is not a real offer. If there would be any club stupid enough to pay real money for that imposter, we would have sold and got rid of this massive liability.

I want the club to perform and move forward. Lo Celso who has been the biggest flop in club history (yes, bigger than Sanchez who had decent periods, and yes, worse then Ndombele who has turned out catastrophic but actually had some ability when he joined, unfortunately he was lazy sclacker) and has literally used us as suggar-daddy to pay for his recovery between international football-breaks.

I want this club to cut losses where there is absolutely nothing to take. I want actual footballers get a chance (like Donley). Or if not attacking players then at least EPL level players.
Not someone who was supposed to be "an attacking midfielder" and has majestically let us down year over year over year and never contributed to clubs success.

As I said before - I always want Spurs to do well. And I support the players who are picked to play. But I've seen too many times Lo Celso play not to see that having him on is like playing with 10 men.

If the coaching staff think Donley is ready then fair enough but you are putting a senior Argentina NT player behind a kid that hasn’t played a minute of senior football

Another fucking Sunday kick off. No European games for either side, absolutely no reason this shouldn't be played at 3pm on a Saturday. Fucking joke

How else are pundits going to dig into an injury and suspension ravaged Spurs and laugh at our fall?

Why not start him though? Gets a full warm up and then take him off on 45 or 60. Less risky than a short 2 min jog down the touch line then on, IMO and playing the last 40

Could do

I think he's playing for Uruguay tonight and they plan to start him as well.

if he didn't go away with Brazil i could imagine Emerson being worked on as a RCB for the game, unfortunately though it's gonna be Dier, and I cant see anything but him giving up a couple goals at the weekend.
I like Eric but he just isnt cut out to be a CB in the prem

We don't have much of a sample size of Dier playing in Anges system.
It's blind faith because they literally haven't seen Phillips play.

IfAnge likes what he has seen for the youth side and in training, so be it and I would be convinced he made the right call.
If Dier starts (as I would expect as more likely) I also will be convinced Ange made the right decision, even if we lose in injury time.
It's blind for having not seen him play yes, it's the faith part I'm disputing, that implies that they're convinced he will do well, I don't think that's the case, I think they'd just rather take a punt because he might do better, and think that he couldn't do much worse.

It's about weighing up the risk vs reward rather than saying he's definitely better, also probably factoring in that even if he's worse right now, he has room to grow, whereas Dier doesn't seem to.

These people, you would like to think, would be much more accepting of a Phillips cock up, than a Dier cock up, due to the disparity in experience.

If the coaching staff think Donley is ready then fair enough but you are putting a senior Argentina NT player behind a kid that hasn’t played a minute of senior football

Yet who still has to be 10x the player.

Hate proven flops and useless players who drag the club down. Time to cut wasters loose and give chance to someone who might have something to offer.

It's not fair to refer to it as blind faith, I'm quite sure that 99% of those begging for Phillips to start over Dier are accepting of the fact that he could be an utter disaster, just they'd rather take the chance that he could be a revelation, as opposed to the known quality of Dier...

It's a desperation measure rather than a rock solid plan.

You are a true puzzle to me.

You say that we should TAKE A CHANCE on someone young instead of playing Dier...
And then you defend starting our midfield Dier that is Lo Celso, over giving someone young and promising a chance.

I seem to sense logical error here.

Could you imagine losing Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dembele and Eriksen for a league game during their peak for us. Would have been the likes of Dier, Wimmer, Winks and Lamela likely coming in.

We're going to need a massive shift from our squad for this one. This would be one hell of a win.

You are a true puzzle to me.

You say that we should TAKE A CHANCE on someone young instead of playing Dier...
And then you defend starting our midfield Dier that is Lo Celso, over giving someone young and promising a chance.

I seem to sense logical error here.
That's just you spectacularly failing to comprehend a basic point...

I would play Lo Celso over Hojbjerg in Maddison's absence yeah, I'd play Gil there over Hojbjerg, I'd play Donley there over Hojbjerg, I'd go all fucking in and play Mikey Moore there over Hojbjerg.

There's a common theme to this, fucking ANYONE there over Hojbjerg! So what, he scores once every 10 games so he's prime playmaker material? No, that just isn't his game.

I'd happily play the youth whilst Maddison is out, whoever the fuck Ange decides is next in line from the pool of attacking midfielders is fine by me, but if he's got PEH in that pool then, for me, there is something drastically fucking wrong and we're in for a bleak run through to the new year, a run that makes up almost a quarter of our league fixtures for the entire season.

Rhtetorical:

Start:
Benta
Sarr / PEH

70mins:
Skipp
Sarr / PEH

or

PEH
Sarr / GLC

...Depending on scoreline.

????

Bentancur really isn't ready to start.

You never know why you might need your subs in a game of football. If we had a bunch of cards and injurues then Bentancur has to play 90mins... You put his full recovery back another month. We can't risk that when we need him in January.

Bentancur really isn't ready to start.

You never know why you might need your subs in a game of football. If we had a bunch of cards and injurues then Bentancur has to play 90mins... You put his full recovery back another month. We can't risk that when we need him in January.

Uruguay apparently starting him tonight.

(I keep reading this here, but only the physios will know that much.)

He potentially starts a game tonight.

If he gets through 70mins and the Physio's think he's ready I'd do this:

Vicario
Porro
Dier
Davies
Udogie
Bentancur
Sarr
GLC
Deki
Son