Spurs vs Kyle Walker's Oil Riggers 29/07/17 23:00BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One thing which was unsettling was how uncomfortable Lloris seemed with the ball at his feet. Vorm did a much better job in that perspective.

Other then that, I wouldn't read much into it. We were building up fitness, didn't invest much offensively and got of the States without injuries bar Wanyama. City were overly motivated and so they should be. Let them have some fun - there defence still doesn't come off as an unit.

Tell me when we were a huge margin ahead of everyone and then slumped and let Chelsea overtake us?

Because if you can, then that is when we "lost" the league.

IIRC we were always trying to catch up on their amazing start including stopping a huge winning run. We scored more goals, lost less games and played better football.

Oh wait. We were ahead at Stamford Bridge and lost.

Yeah - you're right. We bottled it.
I didn't say we bottled the league? I just meant that over the course entirety of the season we lost the league to Chelsea

As a City fan, I'd say most of ours are playing for their shirts while your starting 11 is pretty nailed on, can't take too much from the 3 games we've had so far but with another striker to add competition up front and a CB i'm really looking forward to Brighton. I know you've got a new stadium to pay for but Levy seems to be falling into the Arse model of spend nothing and qualification for the Champs League will do every year rather than challenging. Good luck to you next year, obviously just not as much as us, and thanks for Walker.

I didn't say we bottled the league? I just meant that over the course entirety of the season we lost the league to Chelsea
You can't lose something you never had. You can go out and win it but we drew too many games
This is why you are a poor supporter, everything is half empty with you. Stick to Danish teams and depress their supporters instead.

I get where you're coming from, but he's no journeyman. It's done, he's gone ... but he looked fucking good in their strip last night. Much better than his replacement at RB. I won't cheer or boo the cunt. But it's daft to say he's not going to be missed.
I didn't say that, so it's unfair to criticise me for it. My point was if you're going to make some noise, do it cheering Spurs players.
He's history. He didn't want what the manager wanted from him, so he had to go.

Did not watch the match but based on past seasons, our style of play based on high energy and high fitness levels takes longer to get players to their peak and it will be September/October before we are firing on all cylinders. Seem to recall Kane has not scored in August yet. Just hope we are not too far behind before we hit top form.

That's the bit I'm challenging Mick. It sounds very churlish because it certainly isn't true as far as I'm concerned. The bloke is an established international that had a record breaking price tag for a player in his position.

:eriksenserious:
a journeyman is someone who travels from one place to another plying his trade. He's above average but certainly not flawless. My grievance was letting him go to a team we will be fighting against all season. If Poch wanted him he would have stayed I reckon.

That's because you've got an endless wad of camel fuckers dosh buying you success for a shit club who can't even fill their own fuck hole .
We've got a tight arsed geriatric dwarf who can't be arsed to watch any games holed up Bond villian style in Bermuda
Opposites don't attract , somewhere in the middle would be a right way , financial doping buys you fat plastic cunts like yourself .
Ahem

Bahama's

To be fair our main rivals needed to strengthen considering most of them were behind us when it comes to quality in the starting eleven.

Id say they were pretty much on level terms with us now. Considering we still have one or two players coming in, I wouldn't worry.

Not sure if we can look at the city game as an idea of where we are compared to them but it feels like we need a good quality signing that won't just be a squad player and can do a job in the first 11 too when called upon. We need that bit of page on the right wing for those away draws and defeats and turn into wins. Trying to remember a bad performance that we got a win from. Those are the games that make a difference and we need that player that can give us another way to play if we have to. Guess we are all watching this space...it's getting to that time again where it's too last minute and we could end up with a shit player. If there is someone we want I wish we would just pay what they want and do the deal.

They were better and they have a better squad.

Put both sets of starters out for a match and we can compete with anyone. As soon as we go to back-ups we are going to be sub-par.

Excuses, excuses! Doesn't matter what we did and what they did, they looked so much better than us in this game and in the 2-2 where if their strikers had better luck, we would have been utterly spanked. Two things as a result of this, Poch needs to sort out a new game plan against teams who press us just as hard as we press against weaker teams. We have always struggled against Klopp's Liverpool just the same way. And second, we need to sign players that improve the squad. Doesn't matter if we have an amazing starting 11, if we lose Kane/ Alderweireld/Wanyama we are done for. Doesn't matter that we did ok last season when they were injured, we still need to sort out the strength of the squad and get better.
Of course it fucking matters. Tell you what, lets have a race, lets do a half marathon, you against me, only difference is you need to complete a full marathon for 3 consecutive days at pace prior to our head to head, me I'm gonna rest up.

We didn't press them, well actually we did for the first 10 mins and looked OK, but guess they couldn't keep that up what with double sessions and all that. Let's also not conveniently forget the absolute spanking we gave them at our place, when we out pressed them, hhhmm must have been a figment of my imagination, it didn't happen because we don't know how to play against teams that press.

Granted, I didn't enjoy watching it, because I don't like seeing us get comprehensively out played, but fuck me what a knee jerk response, they haven't beaten us once in two seasons in games that are competitive, you know the ones that actually matter.

At least get some facts straight, we lost Kane, Alderwield last season both being out for 3 months, we lost Rose for half the season, Vertonghen for 2 months (may be more) Son, Dier, Lloris, Dembele and Lamela for 3/4 of the season too, we were not "done for". Fucking hell what an over-reaction.

There is a valid argument for Poch to play a different system against teams that aggressively press us, but seeing as we only lost 4 league games last season, only one of those games as a result of being pressed high up the pitch, I'd suggest that is another massive over-reaction on your part. For me the Liverpool away game was frustrating as it was clear they were shite against teams that sat back, I feel that we could have taken this approach too but seeing as the manager has only had us sit deep once (is first NLD) I doubt we will see him have us play that way, he is wedded too his attacking style of football and I salute him for this.

Of course it fucking matters. Tell you what, lets have a race, lets do a half marathon, you against me, only difference is you need to complete a full marathon for 3 consecutive days at pace prior to our head to head, me I'm gonna rest up.

We didn't press them, well actually we did for the first 10 mins and looked OK, but guess they couldn't keep that up what with double sessions and all that. Let's also not conveniently forget the absolute spanking we gave them at our place, when we out pressed them, hhhmm must have been a figment of my imagination, it didn't happen because we don't know how to play against teams that press.

Granted, I didn't enjoy watching it, because I don't like seeing us get comprehensively out played, but fuck me what a knee jerk response, they haven't beaten us once in two seasons in games that are competitive, you know the ones that actually matter.

At least get some facts straight, we lost Kane, Alderwield last season both being out for 3 months, we lost Rose for half the season, Vertonghen for 2 months (may be more) Son, Dier, Lloris, Dembele and Lamela for 3/4 of the season too, we were not "done for". Fucking hell what an over-reaction.

There is a valid argument for Poch to play a different system against teams that aggressively press us, but seeing as we only lost 4 league games last season, only one of those games as a result of being pressed high up the pitch, I'd suggest that is another massive over-reaction on your part. For me the Liverpool away game was frustrating as it was clear they were shite against teams that sat back, I feel that we could have taken this approach too but seeing as the manager has only had us sit deep once (is first NLD) I doubt we will see him have us play that way, he is wedded too his attacking style of football and I salute him for this.

If we have the exact same kind of season this time, where we still lose players and more teams don't figure out how to effectively press us, then whatever you say mate. But common sense dictates, when we play high press teams, we sometimes let them dominate us too much where in the past two seasons, we have just been lucky not to lose the Liverpool games. We struggled against west ham, city due to the high press as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong in understanding our weakness and then working on improving it. And in terms of the signings and injuries, once in the entire span of maybe last 10 years, we have managed to successfully play well while our key players were injured. And even then, due to Kane missing early in the season last year, we did lose winnable points. So doesn't matter how we did in the past, we need to better the quality of the squad.

Real Madrid won their 3rd champions league in 4 years, and even they are looking to sign players and get better! What makes a Spurs team that finished second any different? Even if we win the quadruple, we should be looking to improve our squad! And after losing a starting 11 player like Kyle Walker? If somehow Poch turns every youngster coming through into Messi and makes the team win trophies, yeah fair enough. But the odds of that happening is what? It's a huge risk to not sign established players at the moment we are right now!

If we have the exact same kind of season this time, where we still lose players and more teams don't figure out how to effectively press us, then whatever you say mate. But common sense dictates, when we play high press teams, we sometimes let them dominate us too much where in the past two seasons, we have just been lucky not to lose the Liverpool games. We struggled against west ham, city due to the high press as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong in understanding our weakness and then working on improving it. And in terms of the signings and injuries, once in the entire span of maybe last 10 years, we have managed to successfully play well while our key players were injured. And even then, due to Kane missing early in the season last year, we did lose winnable points. So doesn't matter how we did in the past, we need to better the quality of the squad.

Real Madrid won their 3rd champions league in 4 years, and even they are looking to sign players and get better! What makes a Spurs team that finished second any different? Even if we win the quadruple, we should be looking to improve our squad! And after losing a starting 11 player like Kyle Walker? If somehow Poch turns every youngster coming through into Messi and makes the team win trophies, yeah fair enough. But the odds of that happening is what? It's a huge risk to not sign established players at the moment we are right now!
I have not once mentioned the squad and what should be done with it/them, talking solely about the City game, that's all. Offered up and backed up a reason for being so shit, that's all. You can keep talking about the squad and transfer all you want but quite frankly I am bored beyond belief of a) writing about it and b) having to read the same shit every fucking day, multiple times over and over and over and over and over again boring as fuck mate, round and round in fucking circles. Please talk to someone else about the fucking squad and buying players, you are getting rich out of me. (Check the thread title, talk about the game, if you wanna do transfers go pick on some other shmuck).

West Ham did not press us high up the pitch, they sat deep and put pressure on our midfield, not with intention to break though and attack, just to break-up, block and spoil our game.

Loads of teams try to press us, all fail with the exception of City and Liverpool. When I say fail Liverpool beat us once and City didn't beat us at all!! You seem to be having massive strop (initially over a pre-season friendly) over two teams that gave us in total 3 uncomfortable games (1 from City, 2 from Liverpool) Liverpool draw coming from a dubious and debatable penalty (not open play). Again, sit back take a breather, this is the reality of your panic, seems a bit OTT no? And of course we can look to do something about that, I stated that in my previous post.

Back
Top Bottom