Spurs vs Kyle Walker's Oil Riggers 29/07/17 23:00BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really poor half from us. Lloris, Alderwierled and Vertonghen (apart from that last phase) have actually been good considering the bombardment that has come through at them.

Pep doing what he has always done, overload one side of the pitch with at least 3 players, but also 4, then having a player on the wing opposite side making the pitch big, and they have been using and finding space allover the shop. We have no midfield, Dembele has tried and is working hard, but Winks is literally chasing shadows and being bypassed with ease.

Yes, its a friendly just commentating on what I saw, which was us playing without a clue and absolutely no class on the ball from anyone.

Really poor half from us. Lloris, Alderwierled and Vertonghen (apart from that last phase) have actually been good considering the bombardment that has come through at them.

Pep doing what he has always done, overload one side of the pitch with at least 3 players, but also 4, then having a player on the wing opposite side making the pitch big, and they have been using and finding space allover the shop. We have no midfield, Dembele has tried and is working hard, but Winks is literally chasing shadows and being bypassed with ease.

Yes, its a friendly just commentating on what I saw, which was us playing without a clue and absolutely no class on the ball from anyone.

The formation hasn't helped at all.

3 at the back may have suited us a lot better - considering we had the players on the pitch for it, quite surprising that we didn't transition.

Dier was the worst of the midfield three. Awful distribution, awful positioning, scared to put a foot in and just walking most of the time. Winks, like you say, looks totally out of his depth and Dembele is simply too far forward to make any impact.

Also, I wish we'd stop playing the ball around at the back only to kick it back to Hugo, who everyone knows cannot kick.

Melting aside,

Poch is obviously trying something different to see how it would work vs a top side.

Can't remember us playing 4-3-3 all last season.

Obviously we need to improve using this formation.

Now back to melting...

Bit of a paradox for some on here, isn't it?

Win a friendly - "we're gonna win the league"
Seen as delusional, get a grip, it's only a friendly it hardly counts etc.

Losing a friendly
Any concern and hyperbole is perfectly sane and justified. We're probably getting relegated.

:townhmm:

Melting aside,

Poch is obviously trying something different to see how it would work vs a top side.

Can't remember us playing 4-3-3 all last season.

Obviously we need to improve using this formation.

Now back to melting...

We played it 3 or 4 times.

Looked shit every time.

But I can see the reasoning behind it - we struggle against teams who press as good as us or better than us, maybe Poch thought playing 3 in midfield would prevent that as having more bodies in their. Better to try today against a team he knows is better than us at pressing, then try it in the league and this happening.

The formation hasn't helped at all.

3 at the back may have suited us a lot better - considering we had the players on the pitch for it, quite surprising that we didn't transition.

Dier was the worst of the midfield three. Awful distribution, awful positioning, scared to put a foot in and just walking most of the time. Winks, like you say, looks totally out of his depth and Dembele is simply too far forward to make any impact.
Our shape, when we are good, needs flying full backs, fullbacks that can take-on the oppo, keep the ball to feet and play short passes. Trippier just hoofing it at first opportunity and loosing possession (been saying this for ages now but fucking hell, he ain't that good).

It's so obvious we need fresh blood it's unreal. What have our scouts been doing for the last 12months for crying out loud?

It's only a friendly but I still can't get my head around it. It's so obvious that we need a few more to beef up the options

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom