Spurs Vs Liverpool - Saturday 30th 17:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we offer to replay the match?

• Total voters
Now the audio has been released can we just draw a line under all this Var controversy :sonpoint:
Ghost Story Animation GIF by evelina rajninger

Aside from the audio being one of the funniest things I've ever heard, this part of the PGMOL statement interested me:

The VAR team then gave consideration as to whether the game could be stopped at that point, however the VAR and AVAR concluded that the VAR protocol within the Laws of the Game would not permit that to happen, and they decided intervention was not possible as play had restarted.

So, they made a mistake - that happens, refs and VAR teams make mistakes every weekend, we all know that, so presumably that's not the issue. The issue is presumably why they didn't stop the game 10 seconds later and put it right. I originally assumed that would obviously have been the right thing to do, i.e. to contact the ref to stop the game, apologise for the error, ok so 30 seconds of football would have been played since then, but on balance everyone on both sides would have accepted that and possibly even found it quite funny - certainly harmless to the game anyway.

However the bit in italics above suggests that actually the VAR and AVAR may, depending on the VAR protocol, have actually done the right thing. Perhaps the protocol says that once the game has been restarted after a VAR confirmation one way or other, you can't go back, otherwise where does it end? Could a decision from the first half be changed during the second half? Etc. So perhaps having made a huge error (which as I say happens one way or another every weekend), they couldn't correct it after the restart without breaking the VAR protocol (which is pretty much the exact opposite of what the Liverpool fans are saying, i.e. that not stopping the game 30 seconds after to correct the error is a breach of the rules etc).

So whilst the whole VAR process is clearly from the audio an absolute shambles generally, with insufficient clarity of communication etc, I'm not actually sure that either the VAR or AVAR have done anything wrong other than the initial horrendous blunder.

If that makes sense? :/

Even with VAR , decisions remain as subjective as ever. Except now the subjectivity is dependent on a whole bunch more arbitrarily applied variables like camera angles, slow motion stills, and whichever clowns they have working at Stockley park for any given game .

Ultimately VAR is boring , and ruins the atmosphere and experience in the grounds. I get it works well in rugby , cricket , tennis, but those games are all naturally stop / start games. Football has grown because it flows uninterrupted, and it’s the same game / equipment whether you play it down the park or as a professional ; the further it gets away from that ‘jumpers for goalposts’ ideal, the less interested in it I get.

I’m less against using VAR for offside decisions because that should be more of objective process with the correct application of technology (not the line drawing shite currently used). The sound recording to me revealed the whole operation at Stockley park to be utterly amateurish. They should use clear, scripted, procedural language (like rugby) , but it was more like a bunch of anxious idiots talking over each other on walky talkies . VAR as it is isn’t fit for purpose and should be suspended until they have shown they can get it right.

Last edited:
I've watched the video a number of times and it's just better every single time. I can't even decide which is my favourite part! Right now it's when they realise their mistake and that they can't do anything about it...but I do love the exchange quoted elsewhere here where they are congratulating themselves on a job well done!

It's just such a fantastic piece of video. I was against them releasing it, because it just prolongs this and I just want to enjoy the win! But, I've got to say, I was wrong. This video is just so good!

randy-marsh-south-park.gif

Guy at work is a Leicester st holder. (Yeah I know). He was saying today how great it has been not having VAR in the champo. He and I debated strongly on VAR when it first came in. He was all for it. He says now he can actually celebrate a goal in real time again. It’s fucking shit. Goal line technology. That’s enough

In all seriousness, var is shit and should be scrapped. If wrong calls are being made with it, then there is no upside to the delay of the game and the deadening of atmosphere that it causes. I'd rather live with onfield mistakes and just get on with the game.

Yeah but VAR has meant more on-field decisions are now correct* than before.

* correct according to VAR .

The players will have to turn up in armoured vehicles
They'll stone the bus, the game gets called off and we are awarded the 3 points that confirm us as PL Champions...

With LiVARpool docked 12 points, dropping them to the European Conference League. *

If Carling did Karma...

* I was gonna say relegation, but it's Carling, not a Genie.

I hadn't seen that! WTF?! The hypocrisy of that lot is truly staggering.
Yeah, I missed that too.

Can you guys really tell anything from that grainy video?

Shit like this is just as bad as the Liverpool whining.
Yeah, you can see it's hand to ball, his arm is straight down, then bends it, just in time to hit the ball.

It's a clear ball to hand, he had no reason to raise his arm.

Last edited:
Yeah, I missed that too.

Yeah, you can see it's hand to ball, his arm is straight down, then bends it, just in time to hit the ball.

It's a clear ball to hand, he had reason to raise his arm.
He doesn't just bring his hand up, he stops it in the right place. It could have been instinctive (it was quick), but that's blatant handball. You can see it better on Spursplay (but not that much better).

Back
Top Bottom