SPURS Vs VILLA. MNF FTW TBF!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dembele, Toby and Lamela all looked top form. I think Toby is the biggest reason the Spurs have the 2nd best GA in the league. He's nearly mistake proof.

Wouldn't surprise me if some big name clubs go after him before Kane.
We have a back four that come from international teams FIFA ranked within the top ten and Lamela from the number one .

The thing about stats is that one needs to view them over a period of time for them to have any value.
I've noticed on many footy blogs that people refer to 'facts' as a stat. This is misleading. Stats are series of
'facts' that, when viewed over a period of time, allow for an opinion to be made, in this case, on the behaviour
patterns of football teams and players.
We've always had stats in football i.e. league tables.
I think Eriksen has improved his defensive duties this season but I agree they are not his forté but needed
when Rosey is bombing forward all the time.

Yeah, but heat maps are taking the simple stat to new levels of intrusion on a players game... it's tantermount to spying!
Imagine Lineker's heat map in his day... the penalty box would just be bright red... what does that tell you that we didnt already know about his contribution to a game?? Did he score the winner is the only stat you need, surely?

Yeah, but heat maps are taking the simple stat to new levels of intrusion on a players game... it's tantermount to spying!
Imagine Lineker's heat map in his day... the penalty box would just be bright red... what does that tell you that we didnt already know about his contribution to a game?? Did he score the winner is the only stat you need, surely?

Unless he's good enough to score the winner in an exceptional percentage of games then no. A striker's contribution in other areas as well. Good passing, pressing from the front and recoveries helps put less pressure on the defense and create chances for teammates on the days, he doesn't score the winner.

In Lineker's case, a heat map obviously wouldn't have told you much that you couldn't tell just by watching him. But some of the modern statistics and visuals used to analyse football can give instant insights that would otherwise take a lot of very careful match-watching to come up with. If you were to ask me which of Rose and Davies has been the better option at left-back from a defensive perspective this season, or whether our players actually put less of a shift in after a midweek Europa match, I wouldn't be able to tell you. I could have a guess, but I'd rather base it on solid data than on gut feel and/or whichever bits of matches I've seen have stuck in my head.

I think half the reason that a lot of people dislike the proliferation of stats in football is that they take away a lot of the debates and arguments that we enjoy so much... who should start? Who played well? How did that sub impact the game? Where should we be aiming our corners? Stats take a lot of the fun out of talking about football, whether it's in the pub or on here. Doesn't mean they're not useful...

Hiya 1882,
I think the more information a coach has about the attributes of his players the better (and, from a tactical perspective, those of the opposition).
The speed of the game now dictates that what a player does off the ball is just as important as what he does with the ball.
It's just not possible to assimilate all that information by watching video replays alone.
Plus there is that overriding specter, money.

In Lineker's case, a heat map obviously wouldn't have told you much that you couldn't tell just by watching him. But some of the modern statistics and visuals used to analyse football can give instant insights that would otherwise take a lot of very careful match-watching to come up with. If you were to ask me which of Rose and Davies has been the better option at left-back from a defensive perspective this season, or whether our players actually put less of a shift in after a midweek Europa match, I wouldn't be able to tell you. I could have a guess, but I'd rather base it on solid data than on gut feel and/or whichever bits of matches I've seen have stuck in my head.

I think half the reason that a lot of people dislike the proliferation of stats in football is that they take away a lot of the debates and arguments that we enjoy so much... who should start? Who played well? How did that sub impact the game? Where should we be aiming our corners? Stats take a lot of the fun out of talking about football, whether it's in the pub or on here. Doesn't mean they're not useful...

I think with stats sometimes they while useful don't give an overall picture. When Modric played for us he never seemed to make that many interceptions but he seemed to give our midfield a solidity not just by retaining possession which is part of it but in defensive situations by cutting out passing angles by which I mean he seemed to put himself in the right place to stop dangerous through balls. I don't know how you quantify that.

You can have a DM with high intercepts and accurate passing for example but because of poor positioning they give the opposition chances but on paper they are seen as good because their stats are high.

I think with stats sometimes they while useful don't give an overall picture. When Modric played for us he never seemed to make that many interceptions but he seemed to give our midfield a solidity not just by retaining possession which is part of it but in defensive situations by cutting out passing angles by which I mean he seemed to put himself in the right place to stop dangerous through balls. I don't know how you quantify that.

You can have a DM with high intercepts and accurate passing for example but because of poor positioning they give the opposition chances but on paper they are seen as good because their stats are high.
Agree 100% I think stats can be useful but it is only part of the equation while assessing a player. Rose for example some macthes even if he doesn't put in a number of crosses or get an assist doesn't mean he isn't key to our play. I think his runs down the flank open up space in the middle for others even if he doesn't receive a pass. It is why I prefer him to Davies atm and there isn't a stat that will quantify things like that.

just a quick summary on my take of the game yesterday .... we had so much of the game that it was embarrassing, but we let them get back into the game for the last ten minutes and it felt like we were holding on for dear life, until Harry scored. Would struggle to name a MOTM as I thought it was a pretty good team performance, but if I had to nominate someone, Danny Rose would just edge it. The games coming up might be a factor on why we took our gas off the pedal, and we got away with it yesterday, but don't know if that would be the case against better opposition.

Tackle and interception stats. Yes, right. Far too many people quoting stats who have a vast experience of football on an X box or PS but have never actually played the game or been coached. Especially been coached. Measureable events are easy to present, but intuition, intelligence and concentration are not.

Throwing Bentaleb under the bus now as well? Awesome.

He's not thrown them under the bus!

Just stating that they're not ready yet for 1st choice in the midfield pecking order and that they both have alot to learn.
Especially Bentelab.
Passing too often atrocious!

It is because I am a fan that I don't want the progress we have made chucked away at the altar of sentimentality. Watch how Dier sits and breaks up play, watch how he drops back to fill in and cover when a member of the back four moves forwards, watch how he tracks runners. Mason and Bentaleb do none of this, they have no defensive mindset, they are not aware of what is happening around them when out of possession and both incapable of maintaining concentration to retain the ball. Watch the game at Old Trafford last year for the prime examples, they gave away all three goals. Mason played quite well this season before his injury going forward but he is a liability in and around our penalty area - as last night showed. Toby is a classy defender and has helped but the major reason for our solidity this season has been Dier and Alli replacing Mason and Bentaleb.

Dier won't be dropped for Mason, if it's anyone it will be Dele. The way dele is playing at the moment makes this very unlikely.
Lambasting Mason for his play in and around the penalty box is also ridiculous, his a box to box midfielder or a 10, his work rate can sometimes hide this, but his by no means a natural sweeper or CDM.

On a side note, Alli is a gem, but needs to fix his dribbling and decision making in the final third. At 6'2 and not particularly quick he isn't going to get around anyone, he needs to pass and make runs into the box, similar to Lampard or what Cahill used to do for Everton.

Hiya 1882,
I think the more information a coach has about the attributes of his players the better (and, from a tactical perspective, those of the opposition).
The speed of the game now dictates that what a player does off the ball is just as important as what he does with the ball.
It's just not possible to assimilate all that information by watching video replays alone.
Plus there is that overriding specter, money.

Agree 100% I think stats can be useful but it is only part of the equation while assessing a player. Rose for example some macthes even if he doesn't put in a number of crosses or get an assist doesn't mean he isn't key to our play. I think his runs down the flank open up space in the middle for others even if he doesn't receive a pass. It is why I prefer him to Davies atm and there isn't a stat that will quantify things like that.

Aw... I know that, and both of you make very good, salient points...
I guess I'm just harking back to a bygone era that will never be repeated, where the only stats you needed for true happiness were; "Did we win? ...and did Greaves/Chivers/Hoddle/Lineker* score?"

*delete as age applicable

No mate. That was the year I moved to the Midlands and so had given up my ST the year before. Good job!

Quite the classic. Form had been dire in the run in. People were throwing their season ticket books on the pitch at the end - which was not as symbolic as it would be if it still had any value, but it was still pretty good as a gesture of how fucking miserable we all were that day.

Once again, John Thomas John Thomas very noticeable by his absence.

Almost as if he only pops in when we lose...

Hmm...

giphy.gif
Ha !. Just seen this post

I WAS AT THE MATCH ! supporting my team
Abbey-Lee-Use-Your-Brain.gif

you fucking dunce

Back
Top Bottom