Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, and Levy just isn’t going to relinquish any CEO type duties anyway and I wouldn’t want him to. He’s damn good it

A DOF/Sporting Director is something I would love to see us adopt again though.

Difficult now Poch has his feet well and truly under the table, because ideally the DOF/SD would be over him in terms of structure.

Ideally you want a structure where the DOF can dictate and/or moderate between buying and integrating.

I know fuck all about Jack Clark except the clips Ive seen, but find it a little odd that we are spending 10m+ on him when we have players like Edwards, Shashoua, Markandy etc that could fill that kind of remit. It smacks of the Njie and Nkoudou situation all over again, just with a hg player.

If you have a DOF/SD over the head coach he can make this kind of calls - do we spend money and wages on somebody who clearly is embryonic when we have our own talented embryos here already that could also be developed the same path (loan, small minutes, cup games etc).

One attribute Poch seems to like in many players is size - that's why Skipp was given a chance last season, as he's got the physique of a man although his muscles are not yet fully developed - and I think the same is true of Jack Clarke too. Of course both players are technically good but its their physique Poch likes which distinguishes them from Edwards, Sashoua and Markanday who are all small.

I'm not sure a Sporting Director needs to be 'over' the head coach, but even on the same level can 'challenge' the need for size. Its certainly true we need a squad with some bigger players in it, but imo some smaller players who have outstanding technique are needed too (not all big players do - look at someone like Loftus Cheek). Maybe one solution for this players would be going to the gym to develop legs like Modric - a slight player but amazingly strong legs and difficult to knock off the ball, but he became that way aged about age 23 after big clubs were not interested in him due to his slight physique aged 20. But that is the type of discussion that a Sporting Director can have.

It seems Jamie Reynolds is still training with us.
That's great news. If he can get and stay fit IMO he will make it.

Originally a midfielder but was playing as LB

I think Cirkin will play LB for u21s and we have lots of midfielders so think he will need a loan to get much playing time - but to get that think he would need to play a few games in preseason as he's been out for about a year.

Originally a midfielder but was playing as LB

I think Cirkin will play LB for u21s and we have lots of midfielders so think he will need a loan to get much playing time - but to get that think he would need to play a few games in preseason as he's been out for about a year.
I liked Reynolds at LB. As I said it all depends if he gets fit but it's good that he is still around the club despite being "released."

Last edited:
I liked Reynolds at LB. As I said it all depends if he gets fit but it's good that he is still around the club despite being "released."

Think the club is quite generous in allowing players who have been released to train there for a bit whilst they sort out other clubs if that is the route for him - given links with Fulham and QPR coaching staff a few might end up there. We also have links at Ipswich who have taken a few ex players too.

So even with a couple being released that's four pro keepers in the Dev Squad which seems a lot. Would hope at least one goes out on loan, ideally two.

Whiteman
Austin
De Bie
Oluwayemi

We'll also have three (or even four) in the Academy I would think.

I've had an educated guess of 3 in first year academy ( a couple f posts ago) plus Kurylowcz(sp) in 2nd year academy so 4 GKs I total.

Or 8 GKs in u21' and u18 which is a lot for just 2 teams.

Any thoughts on Whiteman getting the 3rd GK slot for first team to use one GK ?

Friday at 12.30 is the first draw of the season involving Spurs ! Draw is to select opponents in the EFL Trophy where our u23 side will compete against League 1 and League 2 sides, arguably the most important matches of the season for the individual players development.

Spurs are in the southern groups and will be drawn as no 7 ,- on Talks port

Still no announcement of the new First Year Academy despite the fact they will be in he 2nd week of preseason, best guesses are :

Isak Solberg (GK)
Timothee Lo'Totula (GK)
Tobi Oluwayemi (GK)
Dermi Lusala (RB/CB/DM)
Marques Muir (CB)
Kalum Cesay (RB/CM)
Jeremy Kyezu (LB)
Michael Craig (CB/DM)
Matthew Craig (CM/AM)
Romaine Mundle (mid)
Nile John (AM)
Max Robson (AM)
Eddie Carrington-Alberdi
Tarrelle Whitaker (striker

About half have made their Spurs u18 debuts.
There were also rumours we had signed a good 16 year old Spanish midfielder, Yago De Santiago from Celta Vigo.

Wouldn't be surprised if another striker was found as well

Pleased to see whoever updates the wiki site for Spurs u23s and academy site has used the same names as me other than Yago De Santiago. Unless of course we are both wrong !

Great for TOB if true, a Championship loan with a manager that knows and trusts him - TOB was probably the "go to" midfielder for E u17s at u17 WC which they won.

Gets TOB out of the rut he has got into and could well be the naming if him.

He is being linked with Leeds as well. Will he be able to get into their first teams? Sink or swim time for TOB.

He is being linked with Leeds as well. Will he be able to get into their first teams? Sink or swim time for TOB.

Probably Spurs bring pro active - we have good relations with Swansea ( CCV, Carroll and others) plus a coach who knows TOB and the Leeds link via Bielsa is obvious. I'd guess QPR had a look but took Amos instead

Great for TOB if true, a Championship loan with a manager that knows and trusts him - TOB was probably the "go to" midfielder for E u17s at u17 WC which they won.

Gets TOB out of the rut he has got into and could well be the naming if him.

I hope this works out but I really cannot see that he's anywhere near good enough for Championship football right now.

Think everyone, including WindyCOYS WindyCOYS would agree he needs a new challenge (he's beyond u23 football now), just a question as to whether he would be better at League 1 to rebuild confidence or Championship.

I would say Championship at a side like Swansea, with a manager he knows is a good option. When you hear about how Harry Kane talks about his time at Millwall, the added pressure of the environment at some of the League 1 clubs, might make it tougher, than a Championship club.

Just an opinion piece but nevertheless...

Josh Onomah is not training. He is looking for another club. His attitude was patently obvious when he seemed to be going through the motions for us. He wasn't of course but that shouted that he had stopped improving and thought he had made it.

This is a huge problem when youngsters get more money than most people earn, the motivation goes, they feel they can go through the motions or believe they have the skill so just need to train, rather than constantly strive to improve. That constant striving and doing what it takes to achieve it is what a winning mentality is all about.

Those with a winning mentality understand and can see the difference, those without one don't see it, they think trying to win games is a winning mentality, it isn't.

Trialist as GK even though we have too many youth GK s atm - maybe possible 3rd GK for first team on. Trial

Wonder if Reynolds (trialist) is same as we let go in summer after a season out injured ?

No real surprises in squad, although with over 30 in development squad there are quite s few missing !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom