Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great report again, much appreciated, please keep them coming.

I was surprised not to see Lyons Foster start at CB as he looks a great prospect and a bit more experienced than the first years, but Binks and Walcott seem to have performed fantastically. Looks like we have a lot of great CB options coming through - is it too early to try to look at who is better out of Binks, Walcott and Lyons-Foster as they are within a year or two of each other.

And then try to compare their ceiling versus say Eyoma who's that little bit older but did a great job in pre-season on US tour.

Overall many of that team seem to be better prospects than their u23 compatriots with even Skipp having decent opposition from Bowden and White, although I'd back Skipp to play first for the first team. And we could certainly do with a creative CM to come into u23's and later even first team - is it 3rd time lucky for the Maghoma brothers who came close with Jacques or 2nd time luck for the Shashoua brothers ? How do you see the u18's versus u23's

Thank you! Think it's a little too early to compare the first year cbs with BLF or even Eyoma just yet but there's such an array of talent in that position. For me the under 18's play more fearless attacking football then the 23's. They tend to move the ball about quicker in the final third and have that ability to dominate games for much longer periods hence the better results.

Poch seems to have decided to work with some of the Academy youth which is good news - and the 3 of them did well in pre- season to help win the ICC trophy with a very young and inexperienced side of which Central Defence and Central Midfield where the 3 play was a key part.

Great news

I don't think signing contracts is necessarily indicative of anything in particular (like Poch earmarking them for game time etc), the club likes to have players on contacts doesn't it, sometimes even if they are intending to sell them immediately, and also there's working with them and actually playing them. One hasn't always led to tother.

I don't think signing contracts is necessarily indicative of anything in particular (like Poch earmarking them for game time etc), the club likes to have players on contacts doesn't it, sometimes even if they are intending to sell them immediately, and also there's working with them and actually playing them. One hasn't always led to tother.

Agreed - but a 3 year commitment is (historically) unusually long for Spurs. Anything longer than a year (or maybe two) year contract at this stage has usually indicated that the club sees a long term future for the youngster at the club.

Of course we've had plenty of youngsters who looked good, but there performances after maybe a year didn't match the expectation that the club had and the youngster leaves - but that's just life !

Anyway, a good sign for the 3 of them - and maybe to emphasise that point George Marsh who played probably as much as Skipp and Eyoma did NOT get a contract extension announced, My guess is that he's not seen in the same light as the other 3. So maybe the 3 year contract does indicate more than your initial post suggests ?!

Tottenham Hotspur‏Verified account @SpursOfficial Marcus Edwards has joined Dutch Eredivisie side @excelsiorrdam on loan until the end of the season. Good luck, @marcusedwards__
1f44f.png
pic.twitter.com/HWMU8l5nZO

Dl2xMDgXcAAVChV.jpg

Middle of the table club, known as Feyenoord's feeder club.

Hope he gets his head down and makes a real go of the loan - I guess the advantage of this loan is that the Dutch fans will have no expectation of him so less pressure on Marcus

Tottenham Hotspur‏Verified account @SpursOfficial Marcus Edwards has joined Dutch Eredivisie side @excelsiorrdam on loan until the end of the season. Good luck, @marcusedwards__
1f44f.png
pic.twitter.com/HWMU8l5nZO

Dl2xMDgXcAAVChV.jpg

Middle of the table club, known as Feyenoord's feeder club.

Hope he gets his head down and makes a real go of the loan - I guess the advantage of this loan is that the Dutch fans will have no expectation of him so less pressure on Marcus

Without knowing much about the team themselves, I think a loan in the Dutch, French, Belgian leagues where he’ll be under less spotlight, and where economics make tolerance of developing kids higher, emphasis is more on technique than physique, would seem to be a good idea in theory.

Last edited:
Without knowing my h about the team themselves, I think a loan in the Dutch, French, Belgian leagues where he’ll be under less spotlight, and where economics make tolerance of developing kids higher, emphasis is more on technique than physique, would seem to be a good idea in theory.

Agree it'll be better than a UK club after the Norwich problems. If he has any 'bad influences' in uk then he'll be away from them, Dutch league should be an easier 'level for him than PL and probably more technical. So overall think its as good a loan as he could hope for.

But lets see whether he makes the most of it. 'Proof of the pudding is in the eating' and all that

Worth remembering that our u19's will play the same CL teams themselves as the first team play (ie Barcelona, PSV and Inter Milan) .

We beat both PSV and Inter Milan (famously beating them 7-1) in the now defunct NextGen Series, but can't recall us playing Barcelona in that tournament, although we have certainly met and beaten Barca youth before in other tournaments

Worth remembering that our u19's will play the same CL teams themselves as the first team play (ie Barcelona, PSV and Inter Milan) .

We beat both PSV and Inter Milan (famously beating them 7-1) in the now defunct NextGen Series, but can't recall us playing Barcelona in that tournament, although we have certainly met and beaten Barca youth before in other tournaments

Before my days of following the youth team but tend to remember us beating Barcelona at the Lane in that same tournament, think Coulthirst scored?

Before my days of following the youth team but tend to remember us beating Barcelona at the Lane in that same tournament, think Coulthirst scored?

Correct - completely forgot, Think Coulthist scored a hatrick and the red tops were carrying stories of a 'swoop' for both he and Pritchard when the Spurs ream completely obliterated them. Shame that was possibly Coulthirst best ever match on Spurs colours

So we've trounced all 3 before - relax we've got this !

We played Barca twice in NextGen, we lost 2-0 (Sandro signed by Everton scored both) and won 4-1 with Shaq getting a hattrick and Pritchard getting the other. Onomah (who was 15) came on as a sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom