Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
who's ahead of him in the pecking order there? Been on SUFC site, not familiar with any of the names/faces

George Baldock is SUFC regular RB who is decent quality - would probably prefer him to Aurier.

Have spent a bit of time on SUFC fans forums :
- they have a Tier 2 academy which seems to have just qualified as a Tier 1 for 20/21 (so will have played other tier 2 u21 sides so not played top quality sides)
- they sacked the u23 coach at end of season, apparantly used circa 40 players over around 17 games of which they lost the majority
- Pretty much all the u23's left at end of season
- General concensus on the forum was their youth set was a waste of time with no prospects coming through - they hope getting Tier 1 will make a change but it will take years to get through to first team
- A few games at end of season they didnt have a full bench due to injuries in first team or suspensions and no youngsters on the bench (ie not thought worthwhile).

So impossible to judge Ferguson on his SUFC showing as 'none of the youth are good enough' !

George Baldock is SUFC regular RB who is decent quality - would probably prefer him to Aurier.

Have spent a bit of time on SUFC fans forums :
- they have a Tier 2 academy which seems to have just qualified as a Tier 1 for 20/21 (so will have played other tier 2 u21 sides so not played top quality sides)
- they sacked the u23 coach at end of season, apparantly used circa 40 players over around 17 games of which they lost the majority
- Pretty much all the u23's left at end of season
- General concensus on the forum was their youth set was a waste of time with no prospects coming through - they hope getting Tier 1 will make a change but it will take years to get through to first team
- A few games at end of season they didnt have a full bench due to injuries in first team or suspensions and no youngsters on the bench (ie not thought worthwhile).

So impossible to judge Ferguson on his SUFC showing as 'none of the youth are good enough' !
thanks for all that

maybe he rates himself better than their amateurish set up and fancies a club with a good record with the youth (ahem)

So, according to Spurs Web, two 16-year-olds, Alfie Devine and Dane Scarlett are involved in today's first team squad.

Devine is obviously a new signing, but what do our resident Academy experts think of Scarlett?

Mourinho didn't judge the older Troy Parrott to be ready for first team football, and Etete is a physical specimen. But it's Scarlett who seems to have impressed in training.

So, according to Spurs Web, two 16-year-olds, Alfie Devine and Dane Scarlett are involved in today's first team squad.

Devine is obviously a new signing, but what do our resident Academy experts think of Scarlett?

Mourinho didn't judge the older Troy Parrott to be ready for first team football, and Etete is a physical specimen. But it's Scarlett who seems to have impressed in training.

Scarlett has been the main striker for his England year group for a few years, and often captain of the side as well.

Obviously very talented, not sure many youth watchers will have seen more than a few games of him playing more than a few internationals and maybe one or two at tournements. But clearly the England coaches who will have seen much more of him, rate him highly.

Devine must be pretty spectacular if he's with the first team training AND going to be involved today, no?

Agreed but at Wigan he had been part of their best ever u18 side (first time ever getting to FA Youth cup quarter finals) and on fringes of their first team. I am sure that in negotiations to be signed he would have enquired about a pathway to first team and also being inviolved in this season's pre-season..........only natural.

Be good to assess him in 3 - 6 ,months when he's played a few games, but good to see JM involving a range of youngsters. Hope he does it during the season too......although it's likely to be players probably aged 18 - 20 capable of dealing with the physical side of PL.

But to put it into perspective, I suspect there are only half a dozen or so (out of almost 30) players in development squad JM will have a close look at and then maybe 3 or so out of each year group below.....so Devine (and Scarlett and one or two others in Academy Year 1 such as Jordan Hackett) will be ones JM spends a bit of time looking at.

Worth commenting that shirt numbers 53 and 54 are remarkably low - Parrott is no 52 - and a number of the development squad will have numbers in the 60's......

Definitely a sign of being marked of great things expected of them

Agreed but at Wigan he had been part of their best ever u18 side (first time ever getting to FA Youth cup quarter finals) and on fringes of their first team. I am sure that in negotiations to be signed he would have enquired about a pathway to first team and also being inviolved in this season's pre-season..........only natural.

Be good to assess him in 3 - 6 ,months when he's played a few games, but good to see JM involving a range of youngsters. Hope he does it during the season too......although it's likely to be players probably aged 18 - 20 capable of dealing with the physical side of PL.

But to put it into perspective, I suspect there are only half a dozen or so (out of almost 30) players in development squad JM will have a close look at and then maybe 3 or so out of each year group below.....so Devine (and Scarlett and one or two others in Academy Year 1 such as Jordan Hackett) will be ones JM spends a bit of time looking at.
I agree.

I also think it's good for the morale of the Academy that a youngster like Dane Scarlett, who's been with us presumably for years, also gets a first team squad opportunity.

I remember when Bostock signed for a big transfer fee, and existing Academy players thought he was getting preferential treatment and their progress was not being judged by the same standards.

I very much hope Devine is the real deal. But I hope Scarlett, and other players already in our Academy, are too.

Devine must be pretty spectacular if he's with the first team training AND going to be involved today, no?
He played in a competitive game for Wigan U23 two months after his 15th Birthday. Imagine he'll play with the U23 this season. Think he's just turned 16 so he will be the ~4th youngest player that has played in the U23s in the last 10 years after Onomah [15], Skipp [15] and a 15 year old keeper that didn't get used...

I think Putting all these youngsters in the team is purely because we are losing so many academy products at the moment, as they can’t see a route through to first team football . By doing this in pre season we hopefully are giving hope to the younger ones so they don’t leave .

I believe there was a u23 pre season friendly v Crawley Towns first team this morning . Whiteman and Austin back Playing with them . Good to see them getting minutes. We drew 2-2 with Jack Roles and RJ Richards on the score sheet . Good to see Roles back scoring

Last edited:
I think Putting all these youngsters in the team is purely because we are losing so many academy products at the moment, as they can’t see a route through to first team football . By doing this in pre season we hopefully are giving hope to the younger ones so they don’t leave .

Cool, but to be honest we need to do more. Much more.

Nadueke, Bennet and Edwards more or less said directly.

What we need to do, is to play them. Always have 2-5 in the XXV man squad and always have 1-3 in the XI man match day squad. No excuses.

As easy as that.

That alone would give the best dozen or so spots to fight for, both in the first team training regime and in the match day squads. A rabbit to chase in their development every single day.

It's a fucking travesty having youth players leave us, because we cannot do the above mentioned. In particular when the worst 30% of the XXV man squad are so shit, and in many instances, overpriced.

Cool, but to be honest we need to do more. Much more.

Nadueke, Bennet and Edwards more or less said directly.

What we need to do, is to play them. Always have 2-5 in the XXV man squad and always have 1-3 in the XI man match day squad. No excuses.

As easy as that.

That alone would give the best dozen or so spots to fight for, both in the first team training regime and in the match day squads. A rabbit to chase in their development every single day.

It's a fucking travesty having youth players leave us, because we cannot do the above mentioned. In particular when the worst 30% of the XXV man squad are so shit, and in many instances, overpriced.
Agree , shame if we Loose Roles , he’s improving all the time , heard his goal was from outside the box again , but not really worth him sticking around if we are not going to try him in first team pre season matches . Unfortunately Our loss will definitely be someone else’s gain

Agree , shame if we Loose Roles , he’s improving all the time , heard his goal was from outside the box again , but not really worth him sticking around if we are not going to try him in first team pre season matches . Unfortunately Our loss will definitely be someone else’s gain

I was pleased to see some of the youngsters get minutes today.

The next 2 scheduled freindlies are next Friday and Saturday (v Reading and Birmingham), so the first team players will need to be split between those 2 matches.

I would hope that several other youngsters will also get some minutes in this matches - maybe Jack Roles, Kion Etete, Rodel Richards and even George Marsh to add to CCV, Cirkin, White, Bowden as I think a few of these will be needed in the first 6 weeks of the season when we are playing 2 or even 3 times a week in League Cup and Europa League matches where the standard of opposition is not higher than League 1/Championship. And whilst most of the youngsters wont be starters in thos matches having a couple on the bench to rest first team players is going to be pretty essential imo.

A big fat zero of the 2nd year scholars used today.
Doesn't seem surprising as I haven't heard any real buzz of interest about any of them.

1Carrington, Eddie LW/RW
2Cesay, Kallum CM/RB/CB
3Craig, Matthew CM
4Craig, Michael CM
5John, Nile CF/LW
6Kyezu, Jeremy FB
7Lo-Tutala, Thimothee GK
8Lusala, Dermi RB/CB
9Muir, Marqes MID
10Mundle, Romaine RW/LW
11Robson, Max AM
12Santiago, Yago AM