Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onomah came on and set up the winner on Tuesday (although to fair, it was a square pass that Christie scores a worldy from) , and I think Amos and QPR looked a bit unlucky in that game from the highlights I saw. Came on and scored the winner today (not seen it yet).

Rumours we might sign 2 of Wigan's E u18 stars - one of whom has already made 17 appearances for Championship Wigan.

Both Jensen Weir (CM) and Joe Gelhardt (forward), both 2002 born, excelled when Spurs played Wigan in FA Youth cup.

Wigan's academy has done well on limited resources. Might want to take a couple of their academy coaches too, could do with an u23 coaching team etc

Last edited:
Rumours we might sign 2 of Wigan's E u18 stars - one of whom has already made 17 appearances for Championship Wigan.

Both Jensen Weir (CM) and Joe Gelhardt (forward), both 2002 born, excelled when Spurs played Wigan in FA Youth cup.

Wigan's academy has done well on limited resources. Might want to take a couple of their academy coaches too, could do with an u23 coaching team etc

Competition for Joe Gelhardt seems to be fierce. Don't know why he would prefer us to anyone else

Competition for Joe Gelhardt seems to be fierce. Don't know why he would prefer us to anyone else

Our advantage used to be they had a better chance of playing for us.....sadly that stopped 5 years or so ago.

Only thing we can probably offer now is a loan to a Championship club after pre-season at Spurs - and following the Championship loan a chance to play at Spurs......but that's not unique to us

Dennis Cirkin makes the first team bench tonight, doubt he will get on the pitch though - follows Harvey White earlier in the post lockdown matches.

I reckon he could well get some minutes this season after Mourinho’s words last night. He seems to really like him. Even if it is just 5 minutes in a game, like he gave Parrott, it would be good ahead of next season.

I reckon he could well get some minutes this season after Mourinho’s words last night. He seems to really like him. Even if it is just 5 minutes in a game, like he gave Parrott, it would be good ahead of next season.

IMO with 5 games happening about every 3 days, Mourhino will have to consider some sort of rotation - easiest one might be to sub off a player after say 60 or 70 minutes.......which might be ideal for Cirkin even if the first time is 5 minutes, I'd be comfortable with a 2nd match being 20-30 mins.

If we can utilize the qualities of Tanganga, Cirkin, Fagan-Walcott, Skipp, White & Parrott and they can genuinely add something depth wise it will free up funds for us to be more intricate with elsewhere.

Honestly I’d love to see a set up that allows us to use that but also stay as competitive as we hope to be.

If we can utilize the qualities of Tanganga, Cirkin, Fagan-Walcott, Skipp, White & Parrott and they can genuinely add something depth wise it will free up funds for us to be more intricate with elsewhere.

Honestly I’d love to see a set up that allows us to use that but also stay as competitive as we hope to be.

Challenge is to give them enough game time to develop, and not mimic Poch who often promoted youngsters to the first team but rarely played them - eg TJ Eyoma CB/RB (a WC u17 winner) who played well in pre-season 2018 trained with first team squad following season but only played about 5 minutes for first team during the season and no youth games, returned to u23's 2019/20 a much lesser player.

Whilst Tanganga has had a reasonable amount of playing time this season, Skipp has only had a couple of games (in which he's looked fine including 120 mins v Norwich) but not Cirkin or White despite being good prospects with potential to improve the current squad.

Tricky balance, although tbf to Mourhino he did treat Rashford and McTominay well, and arguably made them very influential players at ManU,

Is Roles injured?

Not as far as I know

Was on loan at Cambridge United but league 2 declared over, so in theory returned to Spurs but rules are that loanees returning cannot play for their parent club that season. Which means he cannot play again until next season (or in preseason) - shame as otherwise think he could have been on fringes of Spurs first team squad in the post covid run in..

Worth bearing in mind that we could have some very substantial fixture congestion next season. If we get the final Europa place and therefore start in the Second Qualifying Round, we will play the Europa every midweek except international breaks from the start of the season till mid-December. In addition, we may well sometimes have two games in the same midweek, with the League Cup on a Tuesday night and the Europa on a Thursday, if the big clubs aren't withdrawn from it (so a Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday-Sunday schedule up to 3 times, Sunday-Thursday-Sunday the rest of the time, and international slots with 3 games squeezed where there's normally 2 as well). Could be some real youth opportunities in amongst all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom