Spurs Youth 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Spur, Marcus Edwards is getting the hang of Portugese football - two more goals

Would be nice if we have a good sell on clause, if we buy him back if Jose fancies him, think Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb said he thinks he'll move to a big club in the summer, or was it someone else? Though I guess his game might still be short of our level for another season or two.

Jose will defo see plenty of him, assuming he watches his home league weekly...

Would be nice if we have a good sell on clause, if we buy him back if Jose fancies him, think Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb said he thinks he'll move to a big club in the summer, or was it someone else? Though I guess his game might still be short of our level for another season or two.

Jose will defo see plenty of him, assuming he watches his home league weekly...

Rumour is we have a 50 % sell on clause over 7.5m euros

Me. Mate I said it

What's the press like on him? Is he clearly a breakout player, or, in the 'maybe' class still?

Do you think he'll be say in the £20M range, or more/less?

He looks to be playing off the right, so makes Moura his challenge if we brought him back.

He definitely has some of the Duff/Robben about him, so maybe Jose will be drawn to that.

What's the press like on him? Is he clearly a breakout player, or, in the 'maybe' class still?

Do you think he'll be say in the £20M range, or more/less?

He looks to be playing off the right, so makes Moura his challenge if we brought him back.

He definitely has some of the Duff/Robben about him, so maybe Jose will be drawn to that.
He’s one of the standout players of the season. The expectations were kind of high in Portugal because of the Poch comments saying he was similar to Messi. He plays on the right. Inside forward. Basically like robben like you said. He’s a great dribbler and quite fast but not very good decision maker. Sometimes he does one drible to many. But he’s been pretty good. Always starting as of late. Price? I would say 10-15M euros maximum. Vitória is not a rich club by any means.

He’s one of the standout players of the season. The expectations were kind of high in Portugal because of the Poch comments saying he was similar to Messi. He plays on the right. Inside forward. Basically like robben like you said. He’s a great dribbler and quite fast but not very good decision maker. Sometimes he does one drible to many. But he’s been pretty good. Always starting as of late. Price? I would say 10-15M euros maximum. Vitória is not a rich club by any means.

Kind of agree on the price as he's only really started to play reasonably well in Portugese football in the last 3 months - but if he gets into next season having scored say 12 goals this season (think he's scored 4 or 5 so far so 12 is doable if he is on form) with an expectation that next season he's going to be getting say 16-20 goals in the full season, does his market price shoot up a bit ?

FWIW on Edwards, he's been seen as a revelation in his first season and has already been lined up for a move to a bigger club. As has already been mentioned, we have a 50% sell-on (he has a release clause of 15m EUR so max we can get is 7.5m EUR).

FWIW on Edwards, he's been seen as a revelation in his first season and has already been lined up for a move to a bigger club. As has already been mentioned, we have a 50% sell-on (he has a release clause of 15m EUR so max we can get is 7.5m EUR).

So we could in theory bring him back for £7.5m? If he smashes it over there and shows enough development I wonder if this will be an option we'd explore

Someone's just sent me (as I'm not a subscriber) an article by The Athletic's Charlie Eccleshare on how to identify the 'Next Big Thing'. For me this worryingly allows a trope to be presented as fact and essentially puts a player making it or not down to their 'coachability' and, in Tanganga's case, 'exceptional maturity and eagerness to learn'. Not a slight on Eccleshare who is presenting information as he has been told it (and it's an interesting subject matter so I'm glad he wrote it), but it doesn't make me feel great about things, I must admit.

Tanganga, Cirkin and Kane are referenced as 'silver medallists' in the article, apparently a John McDermott term meaning 'while they may not yet be the best in their age group, there is plenty to work with and time for them to improve'.

If I am being generous, perhaps they are referring to these players pre-scholarship. But the fact is that all three were England regulars:

Kane - U17, U19, U20, U21
Tanganga - U16, U17 , U18, U19, U20
Cirkin - U16, U17

If they were genuinely seen as not the best in the group, I seriously question the staff's ability to judge a player. Tanganga was *absolutely* a stand-out player in the U18s, as was Kane, as is Cirkin.

The implication that all three only made it due to being 'coachable' shows that the structures are set-up to fail, not succeed. After all, most of these players are in the Academy from a very young age and if they are not coachable, that is largely the fault of our Academy. We know that the biggest reason players make it or not is opportunity. Kane got an opportunity due to injuries to Soldado, Adebayor, etc. Tanganga got an opportunity in pre-season due to injuries to Eyoma (and others).

I have more to say on this but that's some food for thought for now.

But if Edwards continues as he's been going in the last 3 months, he may well get say 12+ goals this season (he's got 4 or 5 already) so logically would be given a new contract in which his release fee was increased way above the current 15m euros - if only to ward off potential suitors in the summer offering 15m euros for a player that might well be worth a lot more in 12 months time

So the max we can get also goes up

Someone's just sent me (as I'm not a subscriber) an article by The Athletic's Charlie Eccleshare on how to identify the 'Next Big Thing'. For me this worryingly allows a trope to be presented as fact and essentially puts a player making it or not down to their 'coachability' and, in Tanganga's case, 'exceptional maturity and eagerness to learn'. Not a slight on Eccleshare who is presenting information as he has been told it (and it's an interesting subject matter so I'm glad he wrote it), but it doesn't make me feel great about things, I must admit.

Tanganga, Cirkin and Kane are referenced as 'silver medallists' in the article, apparently a John McDermott term meaning 'while they may not yet be the best in their age group, there is plenty to work with and time for them to improve'.

If I am being generous, perhaps they are referring to these players pre-scholarship. But the fact is that all three were England regulars:

Kane - U17, U19, U20, U21
Tanganga - U16, U17 , U18, U19, U20
Cirkin - U16, U17

If they were genuinely seen as not the best in the group, I seriously question the staff's ability to judge a player. Tanganga was *absolutely* a stand-out player in the U18s, as was Kane, as is Cirkin.

The implication that all three only made it due to being 'coachable' shows that the structures are set-up to fail, not succeed. After all, most of these players are in the Academy from a very young age and if they are not coachable, that is largely the fault of our Academy. We know that the biggest reason players make it or not is opportunity. Kane got an opportunity due to injuries to Soldado, Adebayor, etc. Tanganga got an opportunity in pre-season due to injuries to Eyoma (and others).

I have more to say on this but that's some food for thought for now.

If those 3 are only seen as silver medallist, who counts as a Gold Medallist ?

Sure all 3 of them would need coaching, and I'm sure there are/were a couple of players better than them in the UK at that time, but it must be a tiny number.

I'd guess that all 3 were regarded as one of the top 2 or 3 prospects in each of their year groups - taking Cirkin for example, his year group includes Parrott. then White and Bennett (maybe half a step back), Walcott (maybe half a step back again) etc. Not sure whether all would be regarded as silver or whether some are regarded as bronze, but in that case there must be copper, steel, 2 or 3 other metals and then rust below them to grade all the players !

As far as I am aware all the other unnamed academy player's contracts expire this summer.

OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCEDTWITTER ANNOUNCED
ACADEMY PLAYERSContract EndsACADEMY PLAYERSContract Ends
Tanganga, Japhet2020
Tracey, Shilow2020
Etete, Kion Reece
Amos, Luke Ayodele2021Bennett, J’Neil2021
Eyoma, Timothy Joel2021
CCV2021
Georgiou, Anthony2021
Marsh, George Owen2021
Roles, Jack2021
Skipp, Oliver William2021
Sterling, Kazaiah2021
Austin, Brandon2022Cirkin, Dennis2022
Whiteman, Alfie2022Walcott, Malachi2022
WALKER-PETERS Kyle2023Bowden, Jamie Patrick2023
Parrott, Troy Daniel
KANE Harry2024
WINKS Harry2024

Last edited:
Profile of one of our standout first year academy players, Max Robson, an exceptional talent, probably too young for this years preseason squad, but very likely for 2021 preseason. The other players looking to be the 'best' in that group probably Nile John and Dermi Lusala, although tbh better to wait until the end of a full season before arriving at a firm conclusion.

Profile of one of our standout first year academy players, Max Robson, an exceptional talent, probably too young for this years preseason squad, but very likely for 2021 preseason. The other players looking to be the 'best' in that group probably Nile John and Dermi Lusala, although tbh better to wait until the end of a full season before arriving at a firm conclusion.

Along with Cirkin and Parrott, Robson is one that has really stood out whenever I've caught youth games. He has a lot of class and potential. A little light weight at the moment but the technical panache is clearly there. He'll end up a good footballer at the very least so I'm fascinated to see how he develops at the club. Thanks for sharing.

Taken from the link: "Reminding me a little bit of a young Jack Grealish, Robson is a silky player who has great balance. In addition, like Grealish he wins a lot of fouls"

I can't complain with him being put in that category, although I'd say he's reminded me of a more Modric type player from what I've seen. Early days though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom