Spurs Youth 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spursidol Spursidol
Any realistic chance of any of these guys making it at Spurs?

NO LONGER U2120-21
Marsh, George Owen
Sterling, KazaiahL
Tracey, ShilowL
NO LONGER U2121-22
Austin, BrandonL
Omole, Tobi LB,CB
Roles, JackL
NO LONGER U2122-23
Eyoma, Timothy JoelL
Ferguson, Keenan
Lavinier, Marcel RB
Lyons-Foster, Brooklyn
Mukendi, Jeremie CF/RB
Okedina, Jubril CBL
Richards, Rodel Kurai
Thorpe, Elliot CAM

With Sessegnon and Skipp out on loan, plus this group, we are stacked if we want to cull the first team of overseas in the next 3-4 years. Would love us to just buy cream (18-23) and integrate youth going forward.

These guys need to see a path.

Oh we do.

Squad places 12-25 I can see about 6-8 players we should just plainly actively move on

Every academy will have cases of 10 or 11 year olds they let go who went on to big things I should think. At age 10 it is a bit of a guessing game who will train on and who will fall away.
Chelsea released Declan Rice...Eddie Nketiah and Rhiann Brewster at 14. Cannot keep them all. Bound to be some that get through the net.

Players with expiring contracts and the best youth players doesn't look a great fit.

Rose and Carter-Vickers will leave in the summer, the players entering their final year are Hugo, Hart, Gazzaniga, Lamela and Aurier.

Bale has an expiring loan and fingers crossed that Madrid don't buy Reguilon back.

So we have to do something about goalkeepers in the summer as priority number one, and they are not going to be making Brandon Austin the first choice. If Hugo signs a new contract maybe Austin is the back up.

Then we have to do something about right back as the next priority.

Every academy will have cases of 10 or 11 year olds they let go who went on to big things I should think. At age 10 it is a bit of a guessing game who will train on and who will fall away.
Blimey he must have improved a hell of a lot in the last few years. Kudos for taking the rejection on the chin and turning these years around.

From Leytonstone, very much our patch?

Maybe difficult to get from there to Cobham regularly, tiring for a 10 year old? I suppose there's loads of reasons.

Imagine those goals felt very sweet for him

Spursidol Spursidol
Any realistic chance of any of these guys making it at Spurs?

NO LONGER U2120-21
Marsh, George Owen
Sterling, KazaiahL
Tracey, ShilowL
NO LONGER U2121-22
Austin, Brandon - YesL
Omole, Tobi LB,CB
Roles, JackL
NO LONGER U2122-23
Eyoma, Timothy Joel - Yes, contract to 2023L
Ferguson, Keenan - Injured after 2 games, but looked good. Depends if contract renewed
Lavinier, Marcel RB - Yes, Why else play in EL
Lyons-Foster, Brooklyn - ????? Good but too many CB's
Mukendi, Jeremie CF/RB
Okedina, Jubril CB - Yes ?? Good but too many CB's, contract to 2022 L
Richards, Rodel Kurai - Yes but not been playing for months, injury ? Winger/striker and we are short of wide AM's
Thorpe, Elliot CAM -- Was very highly rated but small. Huge physical development has affected playing, maybe late developer ?
Comments in red above

some clear cut likely to go including, sadly, Roles who after a great loan at Cambridge can't seem to get manager's attention anywhere.

Quite a few with question marks, a few will be kept on for a year to see

Only a few likely to be kept on for more than a year and might make it at Spurs imo - Austin (GK), Eyoma (RB/CB), Lavinier (RB/LB), with latter 2 probably competing for back up RB position I would think, but both can play another. Austin (GK) might go on a couple of loans before we see if he stays at Spurs

Last edited:
Blimey he must have improved a hell of a lot in the last few years. Kudos for taking the rejection on the chin and turning these years around.

From Leytonstone, very much our patch?

Maybe difficult to get from there to Cobham regularly, tiring for a 10 year old? I suppose there's loads of reasons.

Imagine those goals felt very sweet for him

In youth football, although a few join age 7 and stay at same club until 17, I'd guess that two thirds change clubs, sometimes several times between say 7 and 18.

Some youngsters will change either because they think they are going to a better club or paid better or because they were scouted by another club.

But a lot of kids are let go by their clubs and then find another club. That's normal and kids have to accept that. The process is also because academies can only have a maximum of (I think this is right) 15 scholarships per year (ie aged 16/17), whereas at aged 12 I think an academy can have up to 30 training from a year group, with a reduction at various points between aged 12 and 18.

But I'm pleased Mathurin ended up at Spurs !

Oh we do.

Squad places 12-25 I can see about 6-8 players we should just
Comments in red above

some clear cut likely to go including, sadly, Roles who after a great loan at Cambridge can't seem to get manager's attention anywhere.

Quite a few with question marks, a few will be kept on for a year to see

Only a few likely to be kept on for more than a year and might make it at Spurs imo - Austin (GK), Eyoma (RB/CB), Lavinier (RB/LB), with latter 2 probably competing for back up RB position I would think, but both can play another. Austin (GK) might go on a couple of loans before we see if he stays at Spurs
are we not obliged to keep more players just to fulfil the under 23 fixtures. No doubt there are a number of players who should have gone at one if not two years ago. Some kept on because of Covid as would not have been able to find a club.

There are circa 30 players in u23's right now - about 10 of them on loan.

And we have a bumper crop of 15 in Academy Year 2, of which I'd guess we might not offer pro contracts to 5 (ie they leave Spurs in June), thus adding maybe 10 players to u23 squad.

So that gives us close to 40 players in u23's - before a cull.

My guess is we'd try to keep :
- a maximum of maybe 20 players (maybe less given Devine and Scarlett likely to play u23 football when they are in Academy Year 2) to play u23 football
- assume we loan out 10 players again to develop on loan

That still means we need to lose about 10 players ?

We have 28 U 23s ( 9 on loan). 15 2nd year and 11 1st year scholars.
I think the club has done really well by our youngsters.
There can't be many that have left in the last few years that don't have another club.
Kids' parents know they will be looked after by THFC as they realise most will not make the grade here.

No real surprise, we rescued him from Bury Academy when Bury collapsed, but as he plays as a CB which is where we have a number of very good prospects already, it was always the case he might struggle to establish himself at a club so much bigger.

Sunderland gives him a chance to establish himself at a club a notch lower than Spurs, so best of luck to him !

Ipswich v Lincoln:
Parrott bench, Eyoma starts RB.
White starts on left according to BBC.
BBC: Tracey on right of midfield. Okedina on bench.
Sterling starts CF for Greenock

Last edited:
Ipswich v Lincoln:
Parrott bench, Eyoma starts RB.
White starts on left according to BBC.
BBC: Tracey on right of midfield. Okedina on bench.
Sterling starts CF for Greenock

Parrott came on after 61 mins so played 29 mins in 1-1 draw for Ipswich v Lincoln
Eyoma subbed on 82 mins in 1 - 1 draw for Lincoln v Ipswich

White subbed on 59 mins, Portsmouth lose 2 - 0
- Attempt missed. Ellis Harrison (Portsmouth) header from the centre of the box misses to the right. Assisted by Harvey White with a cross following a corner.
- Attempt blocked. Harvey White (Portsmouth) left footed shot from outside the box is blocked.

Tracey played 90 minutes but Cambridge lost 2-1
Okedina unused sub

Sterling played 90 minutes as Greeock won 1 - 0

Still a bit pissed off that Poch's 'train but don't play' and general no route to first team made us lose a few players out of Spurs academy - the obvious example being Spurs u16 captain Noni Mandueke who didn't sign an academy scholarship and moved to PSV.

He's now 18 and has scored 9 goals and 8 assists (17 involvements in goals) in 1040 minutes (ie involved in a goal every circa 60 minutes) despite only 5 of his 17 league appearances being starts, suggesting his manager is still using him carefully. Probably a certain starter next season.

Rumours that if someone buys Jaden Sancho from Dortmund that they will try to replace him with Mandueke - that's how highly he's now being rated.

I'm sure Spurs ae aware now of the risks of a no route to first team' on recruitment to and retention of our best youth players, and that is one of the reasons why Mourhino went the extra mile in pre-season to include 16 year olds Devine and Scarlett as well a few older youngsters. And that's a reason why there have been a number of youngsters both on EL benches and indeed making EL and FA Cup appearances which have been followed up by loans

Not all will make it but I think its probably sent a big signal that youth is back on the agenda (Just a shame - and VERY costly, Mandueke worth £xm now - it went away for a few years.

From Memory these are the players involved so far :
Pre-season Friendlies
- Played : Cirkin, White, Bowden, Clarke, Devine, Scarlett, Carter-Vickers,
- Unused Subs : Marsh, Okedina

Europa League & FA Cup
- Played : Whiteman, White, Clarke, Scarlett, Lavinier, John, Devine
- Unused Subs : Austin, Markanday

And last season in addition to Tanganga, Walcott made a surprise appearance in CL.

And there's about 10 players on loan, most of them from the above lists.

Of course, I'd have liked some of them to have got more minutes, but its certainly a big step in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom