Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s absolutely fucking shit. Had it with him if I’m going to be honest. Every time someone sticks up for Bergwijn, it’s usually to say “he’s great defensively”. Well I don’t give a fuck about his defensive work, I want him to be effective in attack. He is the most ineffective attacker in years, useless.

He’s absolutely fucking shit. Had it with him if I’m going to be honest. Every time someone sticks up for Bergwijn, it’s usually to say “he’s great defensively”. Well I don’t give a fuck about his defensive work, I want him to be effective in attack. He is the most ineffective attacker in years, useless.

He's great defensively tho

Find it hard to truly judge players, especially young attacking players, in a Jose Mourinho system.

Imagine turning a player who scored goals and created goals in another league and coaching that out of them just so they can run up and down the wing defending.

I'll choose to judge Bergwijn on the role he's given and that's clearly some sort of defensive wide midfielder. Which he does admirably.

If we get a new manager in who preaches attacking free flowing football - my judgement on him will change and we'll see if he's cut out to play in that sort of system.

I think he'd have flourished in our 2016 team.

Find it hard to truly judge players, especially young attacking players, in a Jose Mourinho system.

Imagine turning a player who scored goals and created goals in another league and coaching that out of them just so they can run up and down the wing defending.

I'll choose to judge Bergwijn on the role he's given and that's clearly some sort of defensive wide midfielder. Which he does admirably.

If we get a new manager in who preaches attacking free flowing football - my judgement on him will change and we'll see if he's cut out to play in that sort of system.

He showed promise right off the bat but for some reason, it doesn’t seem like he’s enjoying playing for this team and/or manager.

He is a more effective attacker than both Lamela and Moura so that isn't true, but it also is much of an endorsement either.

Even under Mou, the only problem I see with him is that he's got very poor shooting technique. He seems generally aware of what's going on around him, and the vision/technique to make things happen.

He also seems defensively alert and doesn't scuff clearances like Sanchez does.

His first touch, dribbling and linkup is better than Son's.

Actually I think he’s the only winger/wide midfielder in our squad bar Son who can control the ball, has an eye for the pass and doesn’t run into his opponents like a headless chicken. The problem is that he’s utilized in a system that’s shit and doesn’t produce anything going forward. I am pretty confident he’ll show what he can do under a manager who knows how to use his abilities.

Actually I think he’s the only winger/wide midfielder in our squad bar Son who can control the ball, has an eye for the pass and doesn’t run into his opponents like a headless chicken. The problem is that he’s utilized in a system that’s shit and doesn’t produce anything going forward. I am pretty confident he’ll show what he can do under a manager who knows how to use his abilities.
Son can't control the ball.

But re: Bergjwin: great until he reaches the penalty area which is a shame for an attacker.

I find it hard to judge him

He looked alright yesterday but his output hasn't been high enough

Saying that its very hard to judge his G/A when he's playing like a 2nd RB . i'd love to see how good he is under a different manager.

He had 1 good chance and it was a poor shot which in itself is ok as all strikers miss chances but he is not scoring at all. His scoring ability seems on a par with Sissoko, Holjberg & Winks but they are not in the team to score. Now if Bergwijn is not expected to score then that leaves all the scoring to 2 players. The only thing keeping him the team is his defensive abilities and his competitors for the position being no better. If Bale does not improve then we need to replace Bale with someone who scores relegating Bergwijn to the B team.

Back
Top Bottom