Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair to Bergwijn he played very well with a goal and assist against West Ham in the Carabao QF. He just got injured straight after.

He just doesn't have the physical characteristics that Conte is looking for. You can't work him hard without him breaking down.
It's strange, because he looks stocky enough to take the knocks. But always seems injured.

It's strange, because he looks stocky enough to take the knocks. But always seems injured.

His ankles are just weak.

If you look at his injury record here he's had consistent injuries since he arrived that only stopped when Conte reduced his role to 5 minute cameos.

Good player but needs to learn to keep his mouth shut in the media. How are we supposed to bargain a good fee for him to leave if he is running his mouth to the media about how desperate he is to leave?
To be fair to the kid, he also said this today...

In the winter I wasn't allowed to leave Spurs and then I didn't make any problems. In recent months, I was hardly looked after there. Now I want to play somewhere weekly.

I get it's frustrating for us as fans because of the fee component, but it's got to be really frustrating for him as well.

I completely get where Bergwijn is coming from. No need to be extreme about this. It didn’t work out for him here, best for all parties if he moves on. Wish him the best in his career.

In the winter I wasn't allowed to leave Spurs and then I didn't make any problems. In recent months, I was hardly looked after there. Now I want to play somewhere weekly.

I get it's frustrating for us as fans because of the fee component, but it's got to be really frustrating for him as well.
Waaaah. He wasn't looked after? He got wages didn't he? He hasn't done enough to force his way into the first team picture, it's that simple.

Want to play weekly? Earn it.

Waaaah. He wasn't looked after? He got wages didn't he? He hasn't done enough to force his way into the first team picture, it's that simple.

Want to play weekly? Earn it.
I don't really disagree but feel some here are being unnecessarily harsh on him. It's easy enough to say "earn it" but his best position is LW and we have the guy who just won the golden boot playing there, and we went out early in Europe and the FA Cup. There wasn't a lot of time to go around.

He clearly is still working behind the scenes and was ready for action when called upon.

I don't really disagree but feel some here are being unnecessarily harsh on him. It's easy enough to say "earn it" but his best position is LW and we have the guy who just won the golden boot playing there, and we went out early in Europe and the FA Cup. There wasn't a lot of time to go around.

He clearly is still working behind the scenes and was ready for action when called upon.
I think Lucas got game time that should have gone to Bergwijn that's not to denigrate Lucas who is a thorough professional...but we know his ceiling there's is a suspicion that Bergwijn can go higher than we have seen. Then you lookat the respective ages and this is where I feel we made an error. It's too late now he dug us out big time against City , if he was going to get a throw here it would have happen. Now we make sure we get a sell on and take not less than 25 m

I completely get this, but at the end of the day he is bound to a contract with us and we should only sell him if we get what we feel is his value.

I like him as a player and he seems a nice enough lad, but so blatantly publicising his desire to leave automatically puts spurs on the back foot of any negotiations. It makes it harder for us to give him the move he wants.

We should keep him unless we get a offer for £30 million.

We will be in Europe next year, plenty of game time for Stevie B.

I think Conte said in an interview that he regards him as a striker. Problem for Bergwyjin is that he is back-up to Kane.

I think Lucas got game time that should have gone to Bergwijn that's not to denigrate Lucas who is a thorough professional...but we know his ceiling there's is a suspicion that Bergwijn can go higher than we have seen. Then you lookat the respective ages and this is where I feel we made an error. It's too late now he dug us out big time against City , if he was going to get a throw here it would have happen. Now we make sure we get a sell on and take not less than 25 m
This sums it up for me.
Maybe Moura hides his deficiencies better with his energetic style. That's the only reason I can see why he gets more minutes.

Ajax offering £15m is a joke. Despite his lack of minutes, he's obviously got quality.

£30m min otherwise he's a good option off the bench.

Straight swap for Lissandro Martinez. Looking forward to see him play more to be honest, he's been very good when he's seen the field this season just passed.

Ergh. Hopefully Ajax put up the cash (they clearly don't rate him much either with these bids) and we can get rid of the whiner.

Useless for 99% of his time here.

May be an unpopular opinion but I actually prefer this type of attitude in the players lacing them up for Spurs. I don’t necessarily see this as whiny, I think he was asked a question and answered it directly. I much prefer the mentality of “If you won’t play me I want to go somewhere that will to showcase my talent” over the “I’m in a cushy spot making coin hand over fist at a big club who gives a shit if I get a minute” type of attitude.

:tanguythumb:

May be an unpopular opinion but I actually prefer this type of attitude in the players lacing them up for Spurs. I don’t necessarily see this as whiny, I think he was asked a question and answered it directly. I much prefer the mentality of “If you won’t play me I want to go somewhere that will to showcase my talent” over the “I’m in a cushy spot making coin hand over fist at a big club who gives a shit if I get a minute” type of attitude.

:tanguythumb:

100% agree with you. I’d much rather hear players being honest when they’re asked direct questions. Wanting to play as much as possible is a good trait in a footballer, I much prefer that attitude to someone who has no issue sitting on the bench.
If Stevie doesn’t want to be here then he can move on, it’s fine and doesn’t need a load of drama just because he’s been honest about it.

Victim of the circumstances last season.

We pretty much only had the league after January, so no games to rotate.

Son and Kane never really got injured, Deki was scoring or assisting every game. Who could Conte possibly drop?

He got plenty of time under Jose but we were shit so he looked poor as well.

If we had him in 2011-15 he would’ve been like a Chadli or Siggy type for us.

Such mixed feeling for Stevie. I always like him since his first goal and on. He couldn't connect well in the beginning when we played him and we couldn't play him when he looked in form this season. I think we would want to keep him if we couldnt get his replacement but not sure he could stand risking anothe4v season of being abandoned at this juncture of his career

Back
Top Bottom