Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our first choice front 3 atm is clearly Son, Kane, Kulusevski backed up by Moura and Bergwijn.

With CL and the number of matches we will play we really need 6 forwards rather than 5.

Ideally we will get another forward who is not too big a step down from Son/Kane/Kulusevski and have 2 others to back them up.

Problem is I don't see others better than Bergwijn for the money we will get for him - so likely we will need to pay more for the 2 back up forwards.

I think Bergwijn's time at Spurs has been poorly handled - firstly Mourhino deployed him as a defensive right winger totally nullifying his goalscoring. Nuno's reign was a bit of a clusterfuck which didn't help Bergwijn much and within months of Conte's start we were out of europe and largely on one game a week - so Bergwijn was mainly a late sub.

We are not party to what Conte sees on the training ground, but I'd really like to see Cone giving Bergwijn a good trial in pre-season as with a crowded fixture list, I think Bergwijn could become a much valued player deployed when we need to rotate our best front three.

In short - I prefer to keep him !

I think people are missing the fact that it's more the case of BERGWIJN wanting to leave, than us wanting to sell him. He said as much in an interview during the international break in April, he wants to be top form for the World Cup, which no one can blame him for.

I'm also believe if not for the two goals against Leicester, he'd probably have been sold in January. Some credible Ajax journalists were pretty much saying both teams were a few million off from an agreement. The two Leicester goals happen, rumours died off, and all of a sudden it was Lo Celso who got dropped, then loaned out.

I think people are missing the fact that it's more the case of BERGWIJN wanting to leave, than us wanting to sell him. He said as much in an interview during the international break in April, he wants to be top form for the World Cup, which no one can blame him for.

I'm also believe if not for the two goals against Leicester, he'd probably have been sold in January. Some credible Ajax journalists were pretty much saying both teams were a few million off from an agreement. The two Leicester goals happen, rumours died off, and all of a sudden it was Lo Celso who got dropped, then loaned out.

.....In turn think about why he wants to leave.

66mins in the last 12 EPL games......

Last edited:
Remember Conte’s post Burnley interview and subsequent Italian one?

Sometimes words can be interpreted to whatever agenda or belief we might have regarding a situation.

I personally feel that he’s saying he’s not had minutes with us and for the Dutch team giving him starts, he feels valued.

The Lambo social media thing may have been tacky, but imagine being a super sub and then almost forgotten about straight after.

Son and Kane were needed in every match as they are our best chance for a result and understand why he wasn’t used when we have Kane, Son and now Deki.

It’s probably frustration but let’s not jump down his throat about it.

I mean, we wonder why there’s media bias but our fans don’t really do ourselves any favours either.

.....In turn think abut why he wants to leave.

66mins in the last 12 EPL games......
This could go back to his interview during the internationals.

All of March, Lucas played 23 minutes to Bergjwin's 30. Negligible sure, but it shows Conte didn't really prefer either Lucas or Bergwijn. The source I can find from Bergwijn's interview dates March 30. In the final 9-10 matches, Lucas plays 230 minutes compared to Stevie's 61 minutes.

Besides the fact Conte views him as a striker/LW (where our two best players play), my guess is Bergwijn's comments didn't do him any favours.

"I don't get to play much at my club," he said. "I am happy that the national coach has called me up, that's not an obvious thing to do.

“You don’t forget how to play football. But of course, you feel that you don’t play that much. It was nice to be here again. We have a good and fun group.

“I wouldn’t know [whether form for the Netherlands will help], we’ll see. Everyone wants to play of course. I have to keep my head up and work hard in training. Then we’ll see what happens in the summer.
It's not bad at all from a player and fans perspective, but a manager might see it differently.

Bergwijn isn’t good enough to have this bad of an attitude
He hasn't had a bad attitude. He's been professional throughout his time here. He'd be justified to have a much worse attitude considering his treatment here. Even when Son or Kane got injured, Lucas was more preferred than him despite Bergwijn being a superior player (I love Lucas, but he isn't as good as Bergwijn).

This could go back to his interview during the internationals.

All of March, Lucas played 23 minutes to Bergjwin's 30. Negligible sure, but it shows Conte didn't really prefer either Lucas or Bergwijn. The source I can find from Bergwijn's interview dates March 30. In the final 9-10 matches, Lucas plays 230 minutes compared to Stevie's 61 minutes.

Besides the fact Conte views him as a striker/LW (where our two best players play), my guess is Bergwijn's comments didn't do him any favours.

It's not bad at all from a player and fans perspective, but a manager might see it differently.
This 100%. Also, it's been reported that Bergwijn isn't doing himself any favors with reported attitude problems on the training grounds. Don't know how much of this is true but probably some truth in it.

Look most of us fans wouldn't mind if Bergwijn stayed but it really is in his best interest to move on for a better chance to become the footballer he wants to be. If someone really wants the best for Bergwijn then they should be rooting for a move.

This 100%. Also, it's been reported that Bergwijn isn't doing himself any favors with reported attitude problems on the training grounds. Don't know how much of this is true but probably some truth in it.

Look most of us fans wouldn't mind if Bergwijn stayed but it really is in his best interest to move on for a better chance to become the footballer he wants to be. If someone really wants the best for Bergwijn then they should be rooting for a move.

Reported by whom?

He hasn't had a bad attitude. He's been professional throughout his time here. He'd be justified to have a much worse attitude considering his treatment here. Even when Son or Kane got injured, Lucas was more preferred than him despite Bergwijn being a superior player (I love Lucas, but he isn't as good as Bergwijn).
:contetellmemore:
Clearly not showing he’s a superior player. If he was professional he wouldn’t have said shit.

Last edited:
Bergwijn has a pretty bad injury record himself though. He missed more games through injury than all our front three combined this season.

Going by the the first three matches before his month long injury, Stevie was preferred over Lucas. We were even accommodating to him by putting Son as striker (during Kane transfer saga). The second match of the season, Son was taken off for Kane, while playing Stevie played the whole '90. Third match against Watford (Kane's first match in the XI), Son started in the Right Wing.

Afterwards, Bergwijn misses 20+ days; Conte gets hired in November; Bergwijn misses another 20+ days in late December.

You always hate to lose a player who seems to have a goal scorer's instincts. Whether he can do we he did late in games over 90 minutes is an open question. I think some of his success is due to coming in against tired defenses.

think with the 5 sub rule and CL next season he will get lots of game time from the bench, but he may want to be a first picked player so will want to go
watched him most of the match last night yes on the ball he has good feet, but once he passes the on he looks lost on what/where to go or do next

Steve has talent and he’s been unlucky with injuries, but his finishing has been very poor throughout his time here. I think he can be a very good player but it’s clear that the circumstances here just aren’t there to get him the minutes he needs to flourish. Kane, Son and Kulusevski are untouchable so he will only ever be a substitute and Conte prefers Lucas to him. An exit is the best thing for all parties.

Our first choice front 3 atm is clearly Son, Kane, Kulusevski backed up by Moura and Bergwijn.

With CL and the number of matches we will play we really need 6 forwards rather than 5.

Ideally we will get another forward who is not too big a step down from Son/Kane/Kulusevski and have 2 others to back them up.

Problem is I don't see others better than Bergwijn for the money we will get for him - so likely we will need to pay more for the 2 back up forwards.

I think Bergwijn's time at Spurs has been poorly handled - firstly Mourhino deployed him as a defensive right winger totally nullifying his goalscoring. Nuno's reign was a bit of a clusterfuck which didn't help Bergwijn much and within months of Conte's start we were out of europe and largely on one game a week - so Bergwijn was mainly a late sub.

We are not party to what Conte sees on the training ground, but I'd really like to see Cone giving Bergwijn a good trial in pre-season as with a crowded fixture list, I think Bergwijn could become a much valued player deployed when we need to rotate our best front three.

In short - I prefer to keep him !
100%. Conte dies like to freeze players out or have his faves.

Personally I don't like keeping an unhappy player in the squad. For whatever reasons he's not getting nearly enough minutes under Conte and Bergwijn I believe wants to move because of it. I can't speak for Conte but I can't see this changing anytime soon. It's better for everyone to part ways this summer while there's still interest from other clubs and Spurs can get a good return as well.
The reason I agreed with this, was because he doesn't come across as being happy to be a bit player. It's not as if he is getting a decent amount of time off the bench, IIRC. After his heroics at Leicester, I'm assuming that he felt he should get more playing time. His problem is that it's Sonny in front of him, and he's going to take some shifting.
If we get a really good offer, I'd be inclined to take it.

Back
Top Bottom