Steveomgage & other pre-season friendlies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whilst it would be foolish to read too much, or anything into an opening pre-season game I really hope that Kane doesn't let one bad performance have a negative effect and gets further chances between now and the start of the season, the same applies to Coulibally.

Great to see Hudd back, and still enjoying a late, rash challenge.

But here is my one problem; I love Michael Dawson - he can be brilliant but I hope AVB tries to eradicate the long aimless punts that he does so often. I know when Modric, Parker or Sandro are playing the shorter pass will be more readily available but I would like to see a little less of that Dawson.

I fear that the days of Daws as a Spur maybe coming to an end in teh next season of two. He does make quite a few mistakes, has had several long injuries and keeps playing the long ball stuff, despite it being fruitless most of the time. I worry that he's not of title winning quality and makes goalkeepers nervous.

Iain said:
Hello, I am new here. Here are some hastily-assembled thoughts on Tottenham’s display at Stevenage last night:

- It was interesting to hear Andre Villas-Boas say after the game that the 4-2-3-1 formation was deployed to suit the personnel at his disposal, because in the first half it, well, clearly wasn’t.

- Given his passing ability and long-range shooting, there was logic to trying David Bentley centrally off a striker but he never really looked comfortable there.

- Similarly I was looking forward to seeing Harry Kane play up front, but he had little service nor looked like making much happen on his own. In the first half he was the player who Villas-Boas and the coaching staff spent the most time speaking to. A lot of the instructions (I was quite close to the dugout) seemed to be about his movement.

- Not a huge amount to say about the defence. All were as solid as you would expect. Michael Dawson occasionally clumsy and appeared lucky not to give away a penalty (maybe, I was too far away) when pulling a shirt – and his passing was a bit off – but all to be expected after coming back from a long-term injury.

- Despite not having much of a left foot, Kyle Naughton did well behind Stephen Pienaar - who himself was a bit starved of service and often looked frustrated. In my mind Naughton is clearly a better alternative to Benoit Assou-Ekotto than Danny Rose at left-back. The fact he is likely to have more suitors means he’ll probably be the one of the two to make way this summer, but he looks a regular Premier League-level performer in the making.

- Jermaine Jenas and Jake Livermore played together in the first half, compared to Tom Carroll and Tom Huddlestone in the second. Personally I’d have preferred the pairings mixed up as, after the break, you had two players coming deep for the ball regularly, whereas neither in the first period seemed keen on that. Jenas was probably the best performer out of the four on the night and could yet force his way into the squad this season (is that sort of comment a banning offence on here?), but Carroll also passed the ball smoothly – even f he seemed to be trying too hard at times.

- Gylfi Sigurdsson showed signs of being the player we hope he turns into. Was clinical in front of goal, linked the play well and was always looking for the ball. A promising start, playing at the head of the midfield three.

- The other new recruit Jan Vertonghen did little wrong in the centre of defence. When he and Sebastien Bassong switch position, he looked adventurous at left-back as well, making pacey runs forward to support Andros Townsend.

- Talking of whom, Townsend was the Man of the Match in a white shirt. Quick, direct, skilful, brave and more. While he won’t dislodge Gareth Bale, he is showing he will compete this season. He can also play on the right-hand side as well. Those of us who have seen him play on loan knew he had these skills and his attributes mean he’ll be effective in the top flight, even when raw and still learning. It would be a mistake to loan him out again.

- Souleymane Coulibaly. He’s really a lot shorter than I imagined.

- COYS.

Triffic stuff, Iain, and great to see you on here.

Thanks for the comprehensive run-down, much appreciated.

Re: Townsend - could certainly see him playing on the right of a front three under AVB.

On Naughton, I'd still expect both Rose and him to go (loan or perm), with Fryers being LB cover.

WindyCOYS said:

Re: Townsend - could certainly see him playing on the right of a front three under AVB.

On Naughton, I'd still expect both Rose and him to go (loan or perm), with Fryers being LB cover.

Thanks for the welcome, all.

I never really understood the stories last January about Redknapp wanting a winger - but being willing to loan out Pienaar and Townsend. That speaks to Redknapp's attitude in general, but AT is ready. He's already better than Lennon was at a similar level of top-flight experience - albeit without the electrifying pace which helped Lennon stand out early on.

If Rose and Naughton go out again then it's hard to see a future for them at the club. KN played regularly in the Premier League for a mid-table side and looks accomplished. If they don't fancy him then fair enough and he'll go the way of Chris Gunter and be a top-level performer, but just for someone else.

Also, I'd be hesitant to start writing Dawson's Spurs obituary. It's happened too often before and he always finds a way back into fans' and managements' affection. Especially with so many games next season (and hopefully the next few).

Iain said:
Hello, I am new here. Here are some hastily-assembled thoughts on Tottenham’s display at Stevenage last night:

- It was interesting to hear Andre Villas-Boas say after the game that the 4-2-3-1 formation was deployed to suit the personnel at his disposal, because in the first half it, well, clearly wasn’t.

- Given his passing ability and long-range shooting, there was logic to trying David Bentley centrally off a striker but he never really looked comfortable there.

- Similarly I was looking forward to seeing Harry Kane play up front, but he had little service nor looked like making much happen on his own. In the first half he was the player who Villas-Boas and the coaching staff spent the most time speaking to. A lot of the instructions (I was quite close to the dugout) seemed to be about his movement.

- Not a huge amount to say about the defence. All were as solid as you would expect. Michael Dawson occasionally clumsy and appeared lucky not to give away a penalty (maybe, I was too far away) when pulling a shirt – and his passing was a bit off – but all to be expected after coming back from a long-term injury.

- Despite not having much of a left foot, Kyle Naughton did well behind Stephen Pienaar - who himself was a bit starved of service and often looked frustrated. In my mind Naughton is clearly a better alternative to Benoit Assou-Ekotto than Danny Rose at left-back. The fact he is likely to have more suitors means he’ll probably be the one of the two to make way this summer, but he looks a regular Premier League-level performer in the making.

- Jermaine Jenas and Jake Livermore played together in the first half, compared to Tom Carroll and Tom Huddlestone in the second. Personally I’d have preferred the pairings mixed up as, after the break, you had two players coming deep for the ball regularly, whereas neither in the first period seemed keen on that. Jenas was probably the best performer out of the four on the night and could yet force his way into the squad this season (is that sort of comment a banning offence on here?), but Carroll also passed the ball smoothly – even f he seemed to be trying too hard at times.

- Gylfi Sigurdsson showed signs of being the player we hope he turns into. Was clinical in front of goal, linked the play well and was always looking for the ball. A promising start, playing at the head of the midfield three.

- The other new recruit Jan Vertonghen did little wrong in the centre of defence. When he and Sebastien Bassong switch position, he looked adventurous at left-back as well, making pacey runs forward to support Andros Townsend.

- Talking of whom, Townsend was the Man of the Match in a white shirt. Quick, direct, skilful, brave and more. While he won’t dislodge Gareth Bale, he is showing he will compete this season. He can also play on the right-hand side as well. Those of us who have seen him play on loan knew he had these skills and his attributes mean he’ll be effective in the top flight, even when raw and still learning. It would be a mistake to loan him out again.

- COYS.

Pos rep for cracking review but also for having Teemu as your avatar!

WindyCOYS said:
Iain said:

- COYS.

I can't see Naughton going out on loan to be honest. If reports are true and he's in the last year of his contract then he would need to sign an extension beforehand. Also with Corluka now gone surely squad rotation with Walker is likely?

zin said:
I can't see Naughton going out on loan to be honest. If reports are true and he's in the last year of his contract then he would need to sign an extension beforehand.
Agree. He's already had a year playing regularly, and by all accounts reasonably well, in the Premier League. If the club still don't think he's right then they may as well cash in. Especially with a few clubs sniffing around and Adam Smith / Zeki Fryers providing full-back cover.

I was impressed with Naughton at right-back for Norwich last year.

He would be great cover for Walker. Considering Kaboul can also play right back and Vertonghen can also play left back we could have a lot more quality when it comes to rotating the back four this year.

Also if Zeki steps up then it could be the likes of Adam Smith and Danny Rose that will need to depart in some form (hopefully loans to a Premier League side but unlikely).

My Stevenage supporting mate told me that their left winger dumped Walker on his backside 3 times last night...... Is that right?

We have a game tomorrow in Italy, be interesting to see who from the development squad is out there and who is on their way to the US tour.

Monday, 16th July 2012
Spurs XI vs Kingstonian (A) Kingsmeadow Stadium

Spurs XI (4-2-3-1): Miles (Archer, 46); Byrne, Hall, Veljkovic (Ekong, 68), Stewart; Bentaleb, Gomelt; Pritchard (Barthram, 58), Mason, Ceballos (Munns, 58); Bostock.

Won 2-1 - Goals: Mason (50), Barthram (69), McCollin (penalty, 84).

Wednesday, 18th July 2012
Spurs vs Stevenage (A) Lamex Stadium

Spurs - 1st half (4-2-3-1) - Cudicini; Walker, Dawson, Kaboul, Naughton; Jenas, Livermore; Lennon, Bentley, Pienaar; Kane.
Spurs - 2nd half (4-2-3-1) - Friedel; Walker (Smith, 62), Gallas, Vertonghen, Bassong; Jenas (Huddlestone, 62), Carroll; Lennon (Falque, 62), Sigurdsson, Townsend; Kane (Coulibaly, 62).

Won 2-0 - Goals: Sigurdsson (55), Falque (88).

Saturday, 21st July 2012
Spurs Development Squad vs Como (A) Stadio Sinigaglia, Como
Kick Off: 20:30 Local Time (19:30 BST)

Tuesday, 24th July 2012
Spurs vs LA Galaxy (A) Depot Centre, Los Angeles
Kick Off: 19:30 Local Time (03:30 BST 25th July)

Saturday, 28th July 2012
Spurs vs Liverpool (N) M & T Bank Stadium, Baltimore
Kick Off: 13:00 Local Time (18:00 BST)

Tuesday, 31st July 2012
Spurs vs New York Red Bulls (A) Red Bull Arena, New York
Kick Off: 19:00 Local Time (00:00 BST 1st Aug)

Sunday, 5th August 2012
Spurs vs Watford (A) Vicarage Road
Lloyd Doyley’s Testimonial
Kick Off: 15:00 BST

Thursday, 9th August 2012
Spurs vs Valencia (A) Mestalla Stadium, Valencia
Kick Off: 21:00 Local Time (20:00 BST)

Friday, 10th August 2012
Spurs XI vs Southend United (A) Roots Hall
Kick Off: 19:45 BST

zin said:
We have a game tomorrow in Italy, be interesting to see who from the development squad is out there and who is on their way to the US tour.

Monday, 16th July 2012
Spurs XI vs Kingstonian (A) Kingsmeadow Stadium

Spurs XI (4-2-3-1): Miles (Archer, 46); Byrne, Hall, Veljkovic (Ekong, 68), Stewart; Bentaleb, Gomelt; Pritchard (Barthram, 58), Mason, Ceballos (Munns, 58); Bostock.

Won 2-1 - Goals: Mason (50), Barthram (69), McCollin (penalty, 84).

Wednesday, 18th July 2012
Spurs vs Stevenage (A) Lamex Stadium

Spurs - 1st half (4-2-3-1) - Cudicini; Walker, Dawson, Kaboul, Naughton; Jenas, Livermore; Lennon, Bentley, Pienaar; Kane.
Spurs - 2nd half (4-2-3-1) - Friedel; Walker (Smith, 62), Gallas, Vertonghen, Bassong; Jenas (Huddlestone, 62), Carroll; Lennon (Falque, 62), Sigurdsson, Townsend; Kane (Coulibaly, 62).

Won 2-0 - Goals: Sigurdsson (55), Falque (88).

Saturday, 21st July 2012
Spurs Development Squad vs Como (A) Stadio Sinigaglia, Como
Kick Off: 20:30 Local Time (19:30 BST)

Tuesday, 24th July 2012
Spurs vs LA Galaxy (A) Depot Centre, Los Angeles
Kick Off: 19:30 Local Time (03:30 BST 25th July)

Saturday, 28th July 2012
Spurs vs Liverpool (N) M & T Bank Stadium, Baltimore
Kick Off: 13:00 Local Time (18:00 BST)

Tuesday, 31st July 2012
Spurs vs New York Red Bulls (A) Red Bull Arena, New York
Kick Off: 19:00 Local Time (00:00 BST 1st Aug)

Sunday, 5th August 2012
Spurs vs Watford (A) Vicarage Road
Lloyd Doyley’s Testimonial
Kick Off: 15:00 BST

Thursday, 9th August 2012
Spurs vs Valencia (A) Mestalla Stadium, Valencia
Kick Off: 21:00 Local Time (20:00 BST)

Friday, 10th August 2012
Spurs XI vs Southend United (A) Roots Hall
Kick Off: 19:45 BST

We have a bit of a clue with the Spurs XI line-up...looks like Bostock is fucked for starters...

As an aside...if anybody is planning on driving to the friendly in Baltimore (like me), you need to be out of the parking lots 60 mins after the game due to the Orioles game that night.

Can anyone tell me if Spurs are gonna go straight to the group stages of the europa or do they have to go thru qualifying first?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom