Stories about meeting players /ex players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On a holiday to Malta, I met John Gorman and Ian Moores at the beach, and I just asked for a photo. Then I went to meet my mum at the holiday complex where she worked and they were sitting by the pool. I had a chat with John and he was friendly and approachable, whereas Ian was a bit shy and aloof. I asked for another photo, good job too, as this was well before digital cameras - the first one was so blurred !
I went to Steve Archibald's pub off Roman Road and his dad called him, so we had a chat over the phone - it was about the time he was transferred to Barcelona - he was very down to earth and easy to talk to.
Had a few chats over the years with Mr P himself, the trouble is I get all shy when I meet him.
I went to a birthday dinner at a golf club near Enfield, early 2000s, and saw Mabbsey there with his wife . I didn't want to interrupt him while he was eating, but he signed a few autographs and he was very gracious with everybody.
Just before lockdown, when I was in Malta, the Supporters' Club out there had an evening with Keith Burkinshaw. We had a great time reminiscing, especially about the cup finals in '81 and '84.
More recently I've met David Howells, Clive Allen and Maxie Miller on the train to or from the ground. Maybe I caught them on a good day, as they were all happy to chat, and quite openly too.
We got an invitation to the Heineken Bar on one match day, and Daws was up there - now that is one decent, genuine human being, an absolute gentleman.
*I was coming home from Malta when I got stopped at Valletta airport by security!
I was taken to an office where the head of security started laughing before showing me his Malta supporters club badge. He had spotted me wearing a Spurs shirt.

I called Nick Barmby a cheating cunt. He hand balled the ball past me to score the bastard.

We we’re playing against Lilleshall where the so called stars of the future stayed, he wasn’t overtly bothered by my curse

Back in the days when we were managed by Glenn Hoddle I went to watch one of our training sessions. Met Poyet in the canteen and had a long conversation with us seem like a really nice guy. The only other players that took a real interest in us being there was Kasey Keller, Freund, Anderton and Hoddle. Made our day getting to talk to them. Then their was players like Carr which did not want to sign anything and Sheringham who only signed something because Hughton told him that he had to at least sign the calendar.

When I was even younger I trained in the car park next to White Hart Lane. We used to train in the Astro turf above the car park but got kicked out for the Spurs school of excellences. Those training sessions were taken by Ralph Coates who used to play for Spurs.

On a holiday to Malta, I met John Gorman and Ian Moores at the beach, and I just asked for a photo. Then I went to meet my mum at the holiday complex where she worked and they were sitting by the pool. I had a chat with John and he was friendly and approachable, whereas Ian was a bit shy and aloof. I asked for another photo, good job too, as this was well before digital cameras - the first one was so blurred !
I went to Steve Archibald's pub off Roman Road and his dad called him, so we had a chat over the phone - it was about the time he was transferred to Barcelona - he was very down to earth and easy to talk to.
Had a few chats over the years with Mr P himself, the trouble is I get all shy when I meet him.
I went to a birthday dinner at a golf club near Enfield, early 2000s, and saw Mabbsey there with his wife . I didn't want to interrupt him while he was eating, but he signed a few autographs and he was very gracious with everybody.
Just before lockdown, when I was in Malta, the Supporters' Club out there had an evening with Keith Burkinshaw. We had a great time reminiscing, especially about the cup finals in '81 and '84.
More recently I've met David Howells, Clive Allen and Maxie Miller on the train to or from the ground. Maybe I caught them on a good day, as they were all happy to chat, and quite openly too.
We got an invitation to the Heineken Bar on one match day, and Daws was up there - now that is one decent, genuine human being, an absolute gentleman.
Never spoke to Daws,but he came in the jewellers David Morris where I work,and was an absolute gent by all accounts. The Rotherham fan working there couldn't say enough good things about him.

Met Daws in January 2017 when we stayed at the Royal Garden Hotel. He was paying for Hull City by then and they were staying there before they played the next day (Fulham I think, & they got smashed 7-1?)
It was shortly after that filthy cunt Cahill had put Mason in hospital and we had a chat for about 10 minutes about how Ryan was (Daws had been to see him in hospital a few times), Daws time at Spurs and how life was in Hell, I mean Hull.
He was a real gentleman. Easy to talk to and very jovial/upbeat. Absolutely loves Spurs
Huddleston was also there. He was a miserable cunt.
Met Clive Allen at the legends tour. Very funny bloke.
Met John Hartson on a train. Surprisingly pleasant bloke.
Once saw Pat Nevin in Chester when he was playing for Everton.
He was buying sanitary products for his missus (I assume) in Sainsbury’s in Chester.
In spite of his embarrassing basket content, he was happy to stand and chat. At least I think he was. Couldn’t really understand much he said, but it didn’t sound threatening.
Great thread btw. Love reading people’s brushes with players. Would have been great to have lived in the 50’s when they used to get on public transport to the ground with the fans. Heard many a tale about Stanley Matthews jumping on the bus to get to Stoke’s ground, surrounded by fans and bantering with them.

I’m going to give Harry Kane a shout out.

I’ve never met him but my brother-in-law’s late father did whilst in hospital being treated for the cancer that took his life. The players doing their duty to local causes.

Apparently told Kane that he thought, “he was a good player but why didn’t they win a trophy?”. He was a Spurs fan though.

RIP Alan.

I’ve met Jermain Defoe, I rented a house to him in Cannes where he was there for a summer doing some fitness thing - Eve of career I think he was at LA galaxy or something then. watched a news years day game with him in a pub where we beat Chelsea 3-1 (I think) - I have a photo but I don’t know how to upload them up here
Met Luka Modric several times around the same time and became low level friendly with him, Outside spurs - my kid was at school with Patrick vieras kids

Last edited:
I’ve met Jermain Defoe, I rented a house to him in Cannes where he was there for a summer doing some fitness thing - Eve of career I think he was at LA galaxy or something then. watched a news years day game with him in a pub where we beat Chelsea 3-1 (I think) - I have a photo but I don’t know how to upload them up here

Outside spurs - Met Luka Modric several times around the same time and became low level friendly with him, and my kid was at school with Patrick vieras kids
I read this back and realized it’s a bit of a shit story.

So I asked ChatGPT to banter it up a bit and it did not disappoint!! Exactly as I remember things going down *sideeyes

======

Alright lads, gather 'round and let me spin you a tale of how I rubbed shoulders with some of the football elite, and yes, it’s as mental as it sounds.

So, there I was in Cannes, living it up like the high roller I am. Who do I end up renting my house to for the summer? None other than Jermain f***ing Defoe. Yep, Defoe was in town for some fitness shenanigans – probably trying to get those legs back to prime form after his stint in LA. Every morning, I’d see him jogging past the croissant shops while the locals looked on, baffled at this English lad sweating buckets in the Riviera sun.

But it gets better. Fast forward to New Year’s Day – we end up in this dodgy pub somewhere, the sort of place where you wouldn't be surprised to see your local postman having a scrap with the butcher. And guess who’s my drinking buddy for the day? Defoe himself! Spurs are playing Chelsea, and we absolutely stuff them 3-1. The pub's going mental, beer flying everywhere, and there's Defoe, giving it large with the lads, jumping around like a kid on Christmas. Got a cracking photo of it but can’t figure out how to post the damn thing here – just imagine Defoe with the biggest grin, a pint in his hand, and a crowd of Spurs fans chanting his name.

And if you think that's good, let me tell you about my run-ins with Luka Modric. Met the wizard several times around the same period – he’d just casually stroll into the same coffee shop I frequented. We got pretty matey over time, to the point where he’d give me a nod and a wink like we were old pals. I even had the audacity to joke about him coming back to Spurs – he just laughed and said, "Maybe one day."

As for Patrick Vieira – my kid was in school with his kids. Imagine the school run with Vieira towering over everyone. The guy’s a legend, but seeing him trying to squeeze into one of those tiny classroom chairs for parents' evening was a sight to behold.

So there you have it, boys – my brushes with football royalty. Makes you think, if these legends can slum it with us regular folk, there’s hope for us yet! Cheers!

Told Jonny Jackson one very drunk night outside Faces that it was a disgrace he was out on the piss when we had lost so badly that afternoon, he politely told me he hadn’t even been in the squad

I was at the game as well

Tottenham Sean Tottenham Sean - just wanted to say that this a great thread, I love a walk down memory lane

Cartoon Thumbs Up GIF by Disney Pixar

I was out with a group of friends in Southampton back in the day around 2000 and I suddenly realised Darren Anderton was sat chatting away with one of the couples in the group.

I didn't even realise that one of the couples we were with, were friends with him but apparently they went to the same school together.

Anyway, I got up to get some drinks for us all and I asked him if he wanted one. He said yes, and he got up and came up to the bar with me and we just started chatting. When I told him I was spurs he seemed to relax a bit whilst we chatted about the club.

I did pick up on just how much hassle top level players get. A few pissed up lads gave him a bit of shit but to be fair to him he pretty much ignored them. Only once did I see him getting a bit agitated but as there were 5 or 6 other blokes in our group, I guess he thought there were safety in numbers there for him.

Overall he seemed like a decent enough fella and I guess we spent 3 or 4 hours together but I always felt like he was very guarded about himself, and with society the way it is it didn't surprise me one bit.

I was at an all you can eat Buffett in Enfield and Tanguy was there, it was not long after he signed for us.

Thought I will wait until he’s finished eating and go over and wish him good look in our shirt.

Six bloody hours I waited and gave up

I was with some mates at Lakeside in the 90's walking past Dixons. Mate pointed at the window and said "Matt, Teddy Sherringham and pointed at the window"

Like a total bellend, I stood there looking at the TV's in the window thinking he was on TV.
He was stood a few feet away, looking at me laughing. I was only young, maybe 15, 16. I just felt like a knob and walked off embarrassed. Which is ridiculous as he was my idol back then. I wish I'd have said hello and shook his hand.

Back
Top Bottom