Stories about meeting players /ex players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Met Dave Beasant who was quite pleasant at a works do.
Met Geoff Hurst at a works do and had to wheedle it out of him but apparently he scored a hat trick in. WC final.
Met Danny Murphy in a pub while he was at Spurs smaller than he looked on the pitch.
Queued behind Sulzeer on.a Newcastle flight he was even bigger than he looked on the pitch.

I've been on the same train as Howells to quite a few away games recently. Spoke to him briefly a couple of times (so as not to annoy him), and he seems a decent bloke.
He's a lovely guy, I teased him about him being on the train as I thought the Club would lay on a car - he just rolled his eyes and suppressed a chuckle :)

Used to go to a barber Finsbury Park way. Was in the chair once when Frank McLintock and Bob McNab walked in. Last time I used that barber. Bet that showed 'em!

Ian Walker was an arrogant tosser when I played against him, he was 18 and on the YTS, he knew he was getting a pro contract and it showed.

Kind of showed in his pro career as well
IIRC, he and his wife were part of a documentary and they both came across as a bit 'chavvy' and she was moaning that whenever they went out to night clubs, girls would throw themselves at him.

Last edited:
Was at a training centre as a teenager and the trainers were Jimmy Greaves, Ian St John and Bobby Charlton. I left as shit as I was when I joined.

Knew a lot of Scottish based players growing up too. Mainly Aberdeen lads. But the best guy I got to know was Tommy Gravesen when he was at Celtic. Guy was an absolute lunatic. Some terrifying nights out with him. 😳😂

Was at a training centre as a teenager and the trainers were Jimmy Greaves, Ian St John and Bobby Charlton. I left as shit as I was when I joined.

Knew a lot of Scottish based players growing up too. Mainly Aberdeen lads. But the best guy I got to know was Tommy Gravesen when he was at Celtic. Guy was an absolute lunatic. Some terrifying nights out with him. 😳😂
Still can't believe he ended up at Madrid

Not Spurs, but I saw Alex Iwobi in JD Sports in Lakeside a fair few years ago. My foster lad clocked him and said "you are Iwobi innit" and coyly Iwobi said "yes" and signed an autograph for him, clearly wanting to keep it quiet.

My lad asked if I wanted to say hello and I said, loud enough for him to hear from the safe distance of a few metres away, "nah he's a fucking Gooner"

🤣

Billy Bonds, John Lyall, real gentleman.

My dad used to take us a s kids to watch Spurs one week and West Ham following week train. He was a half decent coach the old man and knew a few of the West Ham staff through that.

As a young lad , unfortunately growing up in Harlow, went to Glen Hoddles first wedding, got some great pics of loads of players, also amazing how many gooners there were there as well. Got a few autographs but not the great man himself (obvs).
Also received an award from Paul Miller one year for a summer fun day thing that went on along the river Stort.
Met Patrick Vierra at a boat show once. Fuck me hes a tall cunt but got a pin head.

Due to work have met a lot of football players over the years.

However my proudest moment remains getting sol Campbell to move executive boxes at half time due to my / our drunken behaviour the other side of the window to his box.

Worked on his house years later and was always tempted to remind him of that day.

Spurs coaching staff Jesus Perez etc coming to give a talk at a night we organised the night after our QF with City was amazing as well.

Proper nice guys. Was pretty special that we got to dissect the game with them less than 24 hours after that crazy night.

spurs or ex spurs players
Met Bunjecevic after losing to Fulham at Craven cottage and he was a really nice and friendly guy RIP.

Met Ledley King who was reserved but friendly.

Met Sandro who was exceptionally friendly. Instigating questions and chat which was surprising but nice.

Met Sol Campbell twice..once when he was at spurs and came to my school and signed stuff. Second time he was Gooner scum and came into my barbers. Well not actually came in...but he was picking up a guy that worked there. Dunno but it looked a bit suspect and a few years later the gay rumours came out.

Met Adebayor at Adidas store in o.street (he was gooner scum at the time and it was a day after Gooners played Liverpool in the Champions league). Decent enough and took a pic.

Met quite a few of the current squad. Mostly nice lads.

Non Spurs

Met Ian Wright at westway sports centre in West London when I was a kid. I was wearing all spurs kit and literally everyone else was wearing gooner scum kits. Wright proceeded to point at me and told me to come to him before being really nice and signing a few things. Then he spoke to my mum and started asking how I'm doing in school etc. I walked back to the gooner scum crowd with a huge smirk on my face.

Met Chris Kamara a couple of times and both times he was super friendly.

Not Spurs, but I saw Alex Iwobi in JD Sports in Lakeside a fair few years ago. My foster lad clocked him and said "you are Iwobi innit" and coyly Iwobi said "yes" and signed an autograph for him, clearly wanting to keep it quiet.

My lad asked if I wanted to say hello and I said, loud enough for him to hear from the safe distance of a few metres away, "nah he's a fucking Gooner"

🤣
What is it about chavvy gooners and JD Sports?
I've told this story before too (about 3 times!), but lining up in the queue at JD Sports London Colney I found myself next to the Bergkamp family. The skank was buying a cheapo replica Woolwich kit for his boy. Didn't say anything, but had several internal chuckles.

HANDS
I know I've posted this before, but I suddenly found myself walking towards Pat Jennings in a supermarket in Hoddesdon in the '70's. Yes - his hands were massive and the cans of baked beans suddenly looked so tiny. I was so starstruck that I said nothing at all!
More recently (within the last 10 years) I've also shaken hands/chatted with David Seaman on a few occasions at work and once in a local petrol station - good god his hands are massive too. Gentle giant - nice bloke.

Met Jermaine Jenas and Jamie O'Hara about 18 months ago at a charity football match at the Lamex Stadium. They were both very pleasant, friendly young men with no airs & graces, who had plenty of time for everyone. They had given their time freely, for a good cause. Their hands were normal size.
Jamie's gob makes up for his lack of hand size.
It always worries me that he went to the school that my daughter may end up at. I hope he's an exception and not the rule.

Jamie's gob makes up for his lack of hand size.
It always worries me that he went to the school that my daughter may end up at. I hope he's an exception and not the rule.
He can still play football with his gut. Was clearly the best player on the pitch.

Really? Even with Jenas who was always a premier league footballer, unlike O'Hara?
By which I mean Jenas was a good player in the PL whereas O'Hara was a lower league player at best .
Yes, really. He single-handedly pulled his side around from a 4-1 losing position to a victorious 11-10 final score. Jenas just jogged about a bit.

Back
Top Bottom