Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Schneiderlin would just block Bentaleb's development. We should back Nabil instead and spend the money on things we really need ... centre back and right back.
I understand your point of view, but why do you think we need another RB?
We already have the Kyles. Plus Dier can play there, and then there's Yeddo.

Anyway, to just put it out there...
I really hope Sherwood becomes the new Palace manager. Because it would be great if we can loan out Bentaleb to them. He's decent enough to consistency play there, and I think it would do wonders for him. Plus, there won't be any worries about hampering Bentaleb's development here, with all our CMs.

I think that Schneiderlin would just block Bentaleb's development. We should back Nabil instead and spend the money on things we really need ... centre back and right back.
Long long season and the way the Southampton lad played Sunday against Liverpool I'd take him all day long .. Nothing wrong with competition and genuine competition .. Not enough of it at spurs .. Bentalab good steady tidy player but he is still very young

Possible, but I'm on the side that feels that Bentaleb should get a Prem loan (are you listening, Sherwood?). He'll play more consistently almost anywhere other than Spurs, and a move to Crystal Palace or something right across town should be an easy transition.

I completely understand some people's assertions that Schniederlin isn't a 17m upgrade on our current crop of midfielders, but there is another argument that carries some merit, in my opinion. If there's one position in which a key signing can make a huge difference to the way we play, I think CM is it. To a large degree I think that Pooch should work with what we've got, but potentially one key signing in midfield that already understands Pooch's system and doesn't need time to learn it could help the rest of the squad settle more quickly into the new system.

Possible, but I'm on the side that feels that Bentaleb should get a Prem loan (are you listening, Sherwood?). He'll play more consistently almost anywhere other than Spurs, and a move to Crystal Palace or something right across town should be an easy transition.

I completely understand some people's assertions that Schniederlin isn't a 17m upgrade on our current crop of midfielders, but there is another argument that carries some merit, in my opinion. If there's one position in which a key signing can make a huge difference to the way we play, I think CM is it. To a large degree I think that Pooch should work with what we've got, but potentially one key signing in midfield that already understands Pooch's system and doesn't need time to learn it could help the rest of the squad settle more quickly into the new system.

Bang on. Not only could he help in the practices with making the transition to such a complicated system, but even just geographically speaking the center of the pitch is an ideal position for a leader and "model" to visually inspire the rest of the team to get stuck in and play their part in the full press. It's certainly true that one of our current central midfielders could eventually manage to do this, but I'm willing to bet that Poch's decision to get the club to go through this much to continue pursuing this player implies that he feels this advantage is worth it.

Of course, the fact Schneiderlin led the league in interceptions and tackles last year, and provided a wicked high number of forward passes per game (forward passes to pin back the opposition are an essential component of Poch/Bielsa tactics), certainly don't hurt the proposition.

I want MS

but I also like Capoue, Sandro, Dembele & Bentaleb very much. I also still think Paulinho could come good.

I feel like a guilty hoarder. :walkercry:

I want MS

but I also like Capoue, Sandro, Dembele & Bentaleb very much. I also still think Paulinho could come good.

I feel like a guilty hoarder. :walkercry:
Sell one, buy Schniederlin, loan Bentaleb.

Sorted.

edit: What's the maximum number of Prem loans we can do? Fuck we've got a massive squad.

Last edited:

Agreed....people talking about loaning out Bentaleb but it seems clear to me that he would actually develop better in our first team squad.

I have a feeling that if we sign Schniederlin, it wont be long before people realise that our biggest problems still remain......simply because MS does not play Striker, RB or CB, which is arguably all we need.

I understand your point of view, but why do you think we need another RB?
We already have the Kyles. Plus Dier can play there, and then there's Yeddo.

Anyway, to just put it out there...
I really hope Sherwood becomes the new Palace manager. Because it would be great if we can loan out Bentaleb to them. He's decent enough to consistency play there, and I think it would do wonders for him. Plus, there won't be any worries about hampering Bentaleb's development here, with all our CMs.
Well, Walker is injured - not sure when he is back. Naughton is not good enough by a long chalk, and the young American guy is untried and on loan back in Seattle.
Dier might do a very good job, he certainly did very well on Saturday. But he has played 1 game in the premier league so I am not ready to hang my hat on him yet. Plus he might have to play centre back.

Whereas MS would not be a bad signing at all, I personally believe the centre of midfield is our strongest area with many alternatives. Would he be that much of an improvement on what we have? Maybe. But for around £20m why bother? We would of been better suited challenging the scum for Chambers. Naughton isn't good enough I do not believe. Walker has a long term injury and in my opinion is a bit of a liability. I think our money would be much better spent improving here. A top quality centre half would also be nice to see.

Well, Walker is injured - not sure when he is back. Naughton is not good enough by a long chalk, and the young American guy is untried and on loan back in Seattle.
Dier might do a very good job, he certainly did very well on Saturday. But he has played 1 game in the premier league so I am not ready to hang my hat on him yet. Plus he might have to play centre back.

How very dare you.. You can't talk about the legend so flippantly..

Agreed....people talking about loaning out Bentaleb but it seems clear to me that he would actually develop better in our first team squad.

I have a feeling that if we sign Schniederlin, it wont be long before people realise that our biggest problems still remain......simply because MS does not play Striker, RB or CB, which is arguably all we need.

Therein exists the spursy problem though

We've got an abundance of players in most positions, just not quality. we need to trim the fat.

For example:

GK: Lloris, Vorm, Fridel
DL: Rose, Davies, (Assou-Ekotto)
CB: Dawson, Kaboul, Dier, Fryers, Vertonghen, Chiriches
DR: Naughton, Walker, (Yedlin), Fredericks
CM: Sandro, Bentaleb, Paulinho, Holtby, Dembele, Carroll, Capoue, Mason, Eriksen
Wing: Townsend, Lennon, Lamela, Chadli
FW: Soldado, Adebayor, Kane

We seem to have a massive squad, but still we're always one or two injuries away from being quite weak/crap, on paper. Saw this with the Benfica away team (although they did well).

I'd feel more comfortable if we trimmed down the squad and replaced 3 'meh' players (or injury prone) with 1 quality player in the CB, Wing and/or Forward areas.

I get that many of you feel that Schneiderlin may not be necessarily a direct improvement in terms of flat out quality over the players we currently have, and frankly, I feel that's a fair and justified assertion.

So you have to ask then, how has a brand new coach managed to convince Levy to potentially pay over a fee that was our record signing as of just over a year ago? Certainly we can safely assume Poch proposed the idea, and Baldini and Levy both asked him why we should make such a move considering how many central midfielders we already have. So it follows therefore that Poch had to have a damn good answer to convince a successful investment company's chosen individual to manage their largest investment/asset to decide that yes, pursuing this expensive option despite our current options is indeed worthwhile for this reason the new guy gave.

So it then has to be asked, why do some of you still continue to talk as if this alleged move is strictly for a "talent upgrade?" Surely there are other factors and categories at hand here for that kind of money, yes? It's not as if things have been running "peachy keen" the last two years, so why not consider all the possibilities as to why this man who has been brought in for the purpose of rectifying the problem has proposed this specific prescription?

The Goat:

"The Cryptic
Yesterday The Goat heard a whisper that we were making a move in Italy. The Goat's source asked "Destro"? and was told "Maybe, maybe not". Effectively, there is something going on in Italy and there's more than one iron in the fire. Hence the cryptic.

Today, a second source tells The Goat that although Southampton are dicking us around, another bid has gone in for Schneiderlin today and that Baldini is occupied elsewhere."

True...one scenario is that we dont know that Poch has convinced Levy to do anything as of yet.

Neither club has even confirmed any of our supposed bids as far as I know..?

Entirely possible. But given everything that we've seen, from comments from people at Saints and Schneiderlin's tweet shortly after Kreuger's announcement, I think that possibility is rather unlikely.

Is anyone else surprised by the lack players leaving? We're linked with adding players but hardly linked, except recently with Holtby, with players being sold. Could the player wages be that much of a factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom