Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else surprised by the lack players leaving? We're linked with adding players but hardly linked, except recently with Holtby, with players being sold. Could the player wages be that much of a factor?

Always a lot of factors at hand, including high wages, interested clubs not desirable for the players, Levy's hard stances on fees, etc. Clearly from the last several years, moving the unwanted players out from Spurs has not been easy.

We don't need Schneiderlin. We have Sandro, Dembélé, Capoue, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Holtby and despite the injury proneness of some of them I don't think Schneiderlin would be a massive improvement. If we buy another CM then it has to be a DLP-type of player with more then decent qualities and not another DM with the creativity comparable to Sandro and Capoue.

Exactly nobody is looking big picture, Levy took Poch on premise he would do best out of what he has, De Boer would have wanted more entourage and signings, how can you walk into Levy's office and ask for MS when Dembele or Paulinho havent even played for you yet? You have to think about it - if we shipped 3 out then fine

Exactly nobody is looking big picture, Levy took Poch on premise he would do best out of what he has, De Boer would have wanted more entourage and signings, how can you walk into Levy's office and ask for MS when Dembele or Paulinho havent even played for you yet? You have to think about it - if we shipped 3 out then fine

Some are, and have mentioned this, it just usually ends up in arguments starting and then most understandably don't pay attention to the content :cautious:

We don't need Schneiderlin. We have Sandro, Dembélé, Capoue, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Holtby and despite the injury proneness of some of them I don't think Schneiderlin would be a massive improvement. If we buy another CM then it has to be a DLP-type of player with more then decent qualities and not another DM with the creativity comparable to Sandro and Capoue.

I actually agree with your second part entirely, as it is my personal preference. However, it seems Poch has other ideas, and I do think they're understandable given the context. While we've yet to see it in one league game at West Ham, I do think it also possible Poch intends to play Holtby in that role as he did in preseason.

Some are, and have mentioned this, it just usually ends up in arguments starting and then most understandably don't pay attention to the content :cautious:

Yeah I know you get beat up often! I am just trying to get people to avoid tweets of rumours and just think thinks through to the physical meetings when Levy makes a decision.

Also think about it this way, MS arrives, as a result at least one big signing from last 2 years will barely ever get a game and may create unrest amongst them also the Levy "sell for more or equal to than we buy" model takes a hit as assets will depreciate in value, I just can't see this happening

Also think about it this way, MS arrives, as a result at least one big signing from last 2 years will barely ever get a game and may create unrest amongst them also the Levy "sell for more or equal to than we buy" model takes a hit as assets will depreciate in value, I just can't see this happening

I completely agree, and this is exactly why I disagree with many folks believing he's being pursued to play alongside the CDM, rather than as the CDM. Do we honestly believe a player who led the league in interceptions and tackles last year is being brought in to displace Dembele, Paulinho, Holtby, and Bentaleb just because he played one year in that position at Saints?

This is why I think it so much more likely there may be some truth in the rumors of us being open to selling Sandro. This isn't a "personal wish" as the opponents this stance like to paint it out to be, as if I had things my way we'd be pursuing a creative DLP type first and foremost, but I think it understandable given Sandro's fitness record since arriving at Spurs and the physical demands of Poch's tactics that he would be the one to open up a position for Schneiderlin's arrival. In a four front season, there would be plenty of game time for both Capoue and Schneiderlin to play there. Otherwise, you're absolutely right, bringing in Schneiderlin over all those players who prefer the CM position next to the CDM just makes no financial sense.

From what I've seen Schneiderlin is in between a B2B and a DLP, gets his head up looking for a pass a lot.

I'd say he's more in between a defensive mid and a DLP than a B2B. He doesn't venture into the final third as much as a truly box to box player would, and is a top notch player at shielding his back line.

ITK exists because Spurs only play once or twice a week and something needs to occupy us in the interim even if it absolute bullshit.

Emanuel Rosu, a Romanian journalist who apparently first broke the news of Vlad to Spurs last summer, just said he's set to go to Roma.

If this happens then I bet it was Roma leaking the Destro stuff to smokescreen their pursuit of Chiriches. I don't understand why we would to sell Vlad but his situation has been fishy all summer. He's been in a lot of training photos but yet to appear in preseason at all. I think the club must have some sort of issue with him. Only explanation that makes sense.

If this happens then I bet it was Roma leaking the Destro stuff to smokescreen their pursuit of Chiriches. I don't understand why we would to sell Vlad but his situation has been fishy all summer. He's been in a lot of training photos but yet to appear in preseason at all. I think the club must have some sort of issue with him. Only explanation that makes sense.
He's a fuckin vampire. Terrified of crosses & only comes out at night.

I'm still with Carlito on the Micah Richards line. He is a genuine monster with plenty of ability & can play across the back. Won't cost a lot, has an international career ahead of him if he wants it badly enough, 26 years old. If Poch is a tough task master, he will have him on reins in a few weeks. Nay?

Is anyone else surprised by the lack players leaving? We're linked with adding players but hardly linked, except recently with Holtby, with players being sold. Could the player wages be that much of a factor?

It's not just wages - it's all of the other things that also work in our favour when we are trying to sign players like the training ground, being based in London, having a reputation for building players up and selling them on to Real or United, etc

You can't really blame our players for turning their noses up at the prospect of going to Hull.

While we've yet to see it in one league game at West Ham, I do think it also possible Poch intends to play Holtby in that role as he did in preseason.
If he stays. But actually it looks like he hasn't such a bright future at Spurs, which might be a consequence of the different ideas you mentioned Poch has.

If he stays. But actually it looks like he hasn't such a bright future at Spurs, which might be a consequence of the different ideas you mentioned Poch has.

Entirely possible he goes. From preseason it appears as though Poch plans to use him, and the fact Poch tried to get him in January for Saints certainly would coincide with this, but of course with the return of Dembele and Paulinho that could all completely change.

Well, another explanation would be that he wants out. He may not like the fact it seems we overlooked him and decided to look elsewhere for a first choice RCB. Or, it could be as simple as he wants to be back playing in the CL and Roma can offer it. Maybe he likes Italy, England not so much. Tons of factors at hand here, and not always entirely up to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom