Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will this and will that...so Ashton is just surmising what might happen, none of this entire paragraph can be used as proof of anything other than Ashton's very fertile imagination...

A nor was it intended to.

The opening paragraph was used to show that there is a clear and definite indication that the entire article was not "based soley" on deadline day.

A small part of me(the childish 10 year old optimist who remembers the signings of Ossie and Ricky) was hoping we would sign them both.
Silly I know....
I remember the day my dad brought home the paper, dancing round the house like a loony because we'd signed them both. That back page was put up on my bedroom wall after a quick flick through my World Cup 78 sticker book (one of only two that I ever managed to complete) & stayed there for years. One of my most endearing memories tbh. We had signed two players from the very top table of world football. Nowadays, it is so very different.
#whimsicalmoment

Because its Levy, Baldini and Mitchell and Levy is the chief negotiator.
Maybe you should go and learn how our club is structured.

Might not

Not really. He´s the chief negotiator. And 15 days isnt 3 weeks

No but Neil Ashton does. He didnt mention a transfer team as far I read, or that Levy has people doing his negotiating for him.

The article firmly backs my theory that Levy in the thick of everything transfer related working from dusk til dawn.

People can invent all the staff they like who are supposedly being sent around the grounds to have meetings, but maybe they could too produce an article which supports it.

Ive backed my speculation with a creditable article.

What do you have? ArtyB saying "Levy must be mowing the pitch today"..

Don't forget "painting the goalposts", another gem!

:eriksenlol:

I remember the day my dad brought home the paper, dancing round the house like a loony because we'd signed them both. That back page was put up on my bedroom wall after a quick flick through my World Cup 78 sticker book (one of only two that I ever managed to complete) & stayed there for years. One of my most endearing memories tbh. We had signed two players from the top table of world football. Nowadays, it is so very different.
#whimsicalmoment
I was ill at home with tonsillitis,with a bed made up on the settee .
My mum brought the paper in to me to cheer me up ..It did :)
Supporting Spurs, and football in general was so much more simple then.

A shame about Fazio. Good player. Will be a good acquisition for West Brom.

Problem with Fazio is that in a team with no proper DM and playing high pressing a slowish defender is always going to have problems, I imagine it's why the much quicker Dier was put last season ahead of him.

At West Brom under Pulis Fazio will get better support so it's a good buy for them.

He got a bigger Anti Spurs agenda than Adrian Durham.

Whether he spent time with levy or not i wouldn't take anything he writes as fact or credible.

But the article wasnt anti or pro Spurs.

It was a neutral observation of how Levy works on his transfers.

Are you suggesting he left out the "transfer team" on purpose to make Spurs look bad?

If I had an anti Spurs agenda, it would be the first thing I wrote about, as it would make us look like a clueless amature bunch of muppets, where the chairman sends people out to make decisions for him and sign players.

Ummm, no its not. It opens like this which should give you an idea its not based on one single day:

Around an hour before kick-off in the north London derby, Daniel Levy will welcome a delegation of Woolwich officials into his spacious boardroom at White Hart Lane.
The conversation with Woolwich’s chief executive Ivan Gazidis will be polite and cordial, barely scratching the surface before Levy sits down for pre-match brunch with a table full of Tottenham executives.
Later this month, when David Sullivan, David Gold and Karren Brady walk up the stairs of the West Stand on February 22, the atmosphere will be a little bit more chilly.

The article later procedes with:

Levy comes alive in the window, spending hours on the phone to a network of agents.

You missed the last line of that sentence though, oddly, which sates:

Two years on, he cannot resist.

Oh dear....Berahino > Nuclear War

Eales played a big role it says in the article you posted. Nowhere does it say he was negotiating transfers. Baldini doesnt negotiate deals either. He uses his network and contacts to find "talent"...now he has been fired.

Obviously Levy is the main negotiator and the buck stops with him but it is pretty clear throughout Levy's tenure we have had numerous executives with the power and role of helping to negotiate. Theres is decent evidence that Eales, Baldini, Comolli, and Caplehorn are all involved heavily in negotiating. Any large organization that has only one person negotiating everything is extremely poorly run. Which to be fair, Spurs aren't particularly well run so that's probably the best argument in favor of Levy being the only one answering the phones.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-transfer-news-tim-sherwood-3033097

"Sherwood admitted Tottenham's Director of Football Franco Baldini was busy working on deals behind the scenes.

He said: "I think Franco might be working in the background regarding a lot of transfers.

"We've had discussions, yes, but it's sometimes a case of supply and demand. We've got fantastic players here at the club and if we were to lose no-one I wouldn't be shedding any tears."

http://m.goal.com/s/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2013/07/22/4135969/tottenham-send-baldini-to-negotiate-soldado-deal-with?utm_referrer=https://www.google.co.uk/

"Tottenham have sent technical director to Spain to negotiate a deal for Valencia striker Roberto Soldado, Goal has learned."

"Baldini was Roma's chief negotiator during his time in the Italian capital and has been charged with the task of securing a big-name striker for manager Andre Villas-Boas."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-transfers-franco-baldini-best-2190555

"Appointed technical director, Baldini has taken responsibility for the identification of players and early negotiations with agents and clubs.

Chairman Daniel Levy may be famed for driving hard bargains, but he wastes time over every pound and can send the people he is dealing with crazy.

Levy also engages in needless point scoring.

Baldini is a far more skilled communicator, with an impressive contacts book, and is well liked throughout the world of football."

http://talksport.com/magazine/features/130628/david-villa-move-tottenham-latest-news-spain-200570

"talkSPORT round up what the Spanish media are saying about the deal...

"Tottenham will send Baldini to negotiate with Villa"
Mundo Deportivo, the Barcelona paper that is closest to the club's current board, seem to confirm news in the English press that Franco Baldini has been tasked with landing Villa, noting that he has "already spoken with Barca". They elaborate that he will travel to Barcelona next week 'to make a formal offer to Villa'"

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...brink-levys-reduced-role-inside-the-tottenham

"Baldini has played only a minor role in the actual negotiation of transfers, with such discussions previously led by Levy or former director of administration Darren Eales, who left in November to become president of the new Major League Soccer side in Atlanta.

Eales is being replaced by QPR finance director Rebecca Caplehorn in another rejigged role, with the chartered accountant set to take over as head of the 'football operations' side of the club in which she will act as the focal point in transfer negotiations with clubs and agents.

While Levy will remain in his role as chairman, he intends where possible to take a step back from said football operations. He is well aware of recent criticism from supporters in the stands but has only ever acted in the best interests of the club. Mistakes are being acknowledged and corrected: the board know that they cannot keep blaming - and sacking - the manager."

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/damien-comolli-factfile-070905/

"Involved in the players transactions (deals and contracts) with the Chairman and the managing director."

I was ill at home with tonsillitis,with a bed made up on the settee .
My mum brought the paper in to me to cheer me up ..It did :)
Supporting Spurs, and football in general was so much more simple then.
Yep. No internet twatter etc. Mensa made the same point a few days ago about the good old days when you got your news off the back page of the paper & teletext. I'm guessing it was much easier to Negotiate deals too, particularly because football clubs were just that, rather than huge businesses or money laundering operations for Russian gangsters or Arab oil barons. Whilst I like the extensive coverage of football on TV now, the beginning of Sky was the end of football as we knew it. Add to that, the Internet, twatter etc & the landscape is so different than it was back then. Some would say it's evolved. I am not so sure. & if it has, it hasn't necessarily been for the better.
Right, off to the pub to cheer myself up before flying off on holiday. By the time I get back in England there will only be a couple of days left of ITK & transfer window. Thank fuck for that

Yep. No internet twatter etc. Mensa made the same point a few days ago about the good old days when you got your news off the back page of the paper & teletext. I'm guessing it was much easier to Negotiate deals too, particularly because football clubs were just that, rather than huge businesses or money laundering operations for Russian gangsters or Arab oil barons. Whilst I like the extensive coverage of football on TV now, the beginning of Sky was the end of football as we knew it. Add to that, the Internet, twatter etc & the landscape is so different than it was back then. Some would say it's evolved. I am not so sure. & if it has, it hasn't necessarily been for the better.
Right, off to the pub to cheer myself up before flying off on holiday. By the time I get back in England there will only be a couple of days left of ITK & transfer window. Thank fuck for that
Oh good you'll not miss Jim White on DEADLINE DAY!!!

Have a good Holiday mate.
And if you meet any Spanish waiters who use to play for Real Madrid and would sign for Spurs for nothing...They are probably lying ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom