Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference with the scum is they have a policy. World class manager and a properly run board. We do not have a philosophy unless the philosophy is sacking managers.

Or appointing crap ones?

The other point i take issue with (not just this post but generally on here) is the implication that the board / chairman is solely responsible for the firing of managers and that the fans take no blame.

Are we naive enough to think that all the moaning and bitching and negativity on the forums, twitter etc... and in the stadium itself doesn't have any influence on Daniels itchy trigger finger? That the negativity and hostility towards the board and the players doesn't permeate through the core of the club and help to fuel the media's agenda to sell column inches through scandal and depreciation.

We're essentially giving him the rope to hang us with.

What ever issue you have with Levy and his alleged lack of desire to progress the club over the last ten years, the fan base has to take responsibility with regard to the unbelievable pressure to succeed that they create.

Yes, we have the right to question decisions made, yes, we all have the desire to see our team succeed at the level we deem ourselves worthy of, but we need to do it constructively and realistically.

Losing our shit 2 games into the season is neither of those things.

Obviously Levy is the main negotiator and the buck stops with him but it is pretty clear throughout Levy's tenure we have had numerous executives with the power and role of helping to negotiate. Theres is decent evidence that Eales, Baldini, Comolli, and Caplehorn are all involved heavily in negotiating. Any large organization that has only one person negotiating everything is extremely poorly run. Which to be fair, Spurs aren't particularly well run so that's probably the best argument in favor of Levy being the only one answering the phones.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-transfer-news-tim-sherwood-3033097

"Sherwood admitted Tottenham's Director of Football Franco Baldini was busy working on deals behind the scenes.

He said: "I think Franco might be working in the background regarding a lot of transfers.

"We've had discussions, yes, but it's sometimes a case of supply and demand. We've got fantastic players here at the club and if we were to lose no-one I wouldn't be shedding any tears."

http://m.goal.com/s/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2013/07/22/4135969/tottenham-send-baldini-to-negotiate-soldado-deal-with?utm_referrer=https://www.google.co.uk/

"Tottenham have sent technical director to Spain to negotiate a deal for Valencia striker Roberto Soldado, Goal has learned."

"Baldini was Roma's chief negotiator during his time in the Italian capital and has been charged with the task of securing a big-name striker for manager Andre Villas-Boas."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-transfers-franco-baldini-best-2190555

"Appointed technical director, Baldini has taken responsibility for the identification of players and early negotiations with agents and clubs.

Chairman Daniel Levy may be famed for driving hard bargains, but he wastes time over every pound and can send the people he is dealing with crazy.

Levy also engages in needless point scoring.

Baldini is a far more skilled communicator, with an impressive contacts book, and is well liked throughout the world of football."

http://talksport.com/magazine/features/130628/david-villa-move-tottenham-latest-news-spain-200570

"talkSPORT round up what the Spanish media are saying about the deal...

"Tottenham will send Baldini to negotiate with Villa"
Mundo Deportivo, the Barcelona paper that is closest to the club's current board, seem to confirm news in the English press that Franco Baldini has been tasked with landing Villa, noting that he has "already spoken with Barca". They elaborate that he will travel to Barcelona next week 'to make a formal offer to Villa'"

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...brink-levys-reduced-role-inside-the-tottenham

"Baldini has played only a minor role in the actual negotiation of transfers, with such discussions previously led by Levy or former director of administration Darren Eales, who left in November to become president of the new Major League Soccer side in Atlanta.

Eales is being replaced by QPR finance director Rebecca Caplehorn in another rejigged role, with the chartered accountant set to take over as head of the 'football operations' side of the club in which she will act as the focal point in transfer negotiations with clubs and agents.

While Levy will remain in his role as chairman, he intends where possible to take a step back from said football operations. He is well aware of recent criticism from supporters in the stands but has only ever acted in the best interests of the club. Mistakes are being acknowledged and corrected: the board know that they cannot keep blaming - and sacking - the manager."

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/damien-comolli-factfile-070905/

"Involved in the players transactions (deals and contracts) with the Chairman and the managing director."

Well that's just articles with little or no quotes, JDK.

Who in their right mind would.... Oh.

Obviously Levy is the main negotiator and the buck stops with him but it is pretty clear throughout Levy's tenure we have had numerous executives with the power and role of helping to negotiate.

Something Im fully aware of

"Sherwood admitted Tottenham's Director of Football Franco Baldini was busy working on deals behind the scenes.

He said: "I think Franco might be working in the background regarding a lot of transfers.

"We've had discussions, yes, but it's sometimes a case of supply and demand. We've got fantastic players here at the club and if we were to lose no-one I wouldn't be shedding any tears."
And?

"Tottenham have sent technical director to Spain to negotiate a deal for Valencia striker Roberto Soldado, Goal has learned."

"Baldini was Roma's chief negotiator during his time in the Italian capital and has been charged with the task of securing a big-name striker for manager Andre Villas-Boas."
Yes Im sure Levy handed over the responsibility of a 26M signing to someone else.
Goal.com said he was sent to negotiate, with zero quotes from anyone that Baldini done the deal.

"Appointed technical director, Baldini has taken responsibility for the identification of players and early negotiations with agents and clubs.

Chairman Daniel Levy may be famed for driving hard bargains, but he wastes time over every pound and can send the people he is dealing with crazy.

Baldini is a far more skilled communicator, with an impressive contacts book, and is well liked throughout the world of football."

Yes. Baldini uses his contacts to spot players in the early stages. Thats not negotiating for two straight weeks with a club though is it. Funny how he´s been sacked. Could that be because Levy has rendered him useless?

Mundo Deportivo, the Barcelona paper that is closest to the club's current board, seem to confirm news in the English press that Franco Baldini has been tasked with landing Villa, noting that he has "already spoken with Barca". They elaborate that he will travel to Barcelona next week 'to make a formal offer to Villa'"

Andre Villas-Boas did not approve four of Tottenham’s seven summer signings and asked chairman Daniel Levy not to buy them.
Villas-Boas objected to the acquisitions of Erik Lamela, Nacer Chadli, Vlad Chiriches and Christian Eriksen, a quartet who cost Spurs a total of £56million, but his judgment was overruled.
The Portuguese manager asked his chairman to buy Hulk, Joao Moutinho and David Villa as he planned for life without Gareth Bale.

I thought it was common knowledge that AVBs requests were overruled when Levy backed Baldini.
Sending Baldini out to Spain as a token gesture to sniff a bit of piss on a tree regarding the "signing" of David Villa doesnt constitute holding down transfer talks.

"Baldini has played only a minor role in the actual negotiation of transfers

So....not a major role then. Like leading transfer negotiations off his own back.

"Involved in the players transactions (deals and contracts) with the Chairman and the managing director."

Where did I say Baldini and Mitchell were not involved in transfers?

The other point i take issue with (not just this post but generally on here) is the implication that the board / chairman is solely responsible for the firing of managers and that the fans take no blame.

Are we naive enough to think that all the moaning and bitching and negativity on the forums, twitter etc... and in the stadium itself doesn't have any influence on Daniels itchy trigger finger? That the negativity and hostility towards the board and the players doesn't permeate through the core of the club and help to fuel the media's agenda to sell column inches through scandal and depreciation.

We're essentially giving him the rope to hang us with.

What ever issue you have with Levy and his alleged lack of desire to progress the club over the last ten years, the fan base has to take responsibility with regard to the unbelievable pressure to succeed that they create.

Yes, we have the right to question decisions made, yes, we all have the desire to see our team succeed at the level we deem ourselves worthy of, but we need to do it constructively and realistically.

Losing our shit 2 games into the season is neither of those things.

It's got nothing to do with the fans.

Levy, Enic or Joe Lewis don't give a fuck about the fans!

To them my beloved club is just another financial investments!

If anyone is being naive its you!

:levylol:

Are we naive enough to think that all the moaning and bitching and negativity on the forums, twitter etc... and in the stadium itself doesn't have any influence on Daniels itchy trigger finger?

The majority of fans are happy though, and the melters are a noisy minority.

Instead of moaning about the moaners, the majority would be better off just being happy, and typing positive stuff.

Oh...you ran out of positive stuff after "the kids" and "our fitness"...

Any businessman interested in making money will take stock of feedback from his consumers and react accordingly. Where does the pressure to sack a manager come from if it doesn't come from the reactions of the fans and the media?

Where does the pressure to sack a manager come from if it doesn't come from the reactions of the fans and the media?

From the manager not playing very good football with the players Levy sees fit to give him.

Do you think Levy wouldnt have moved to Stratford because some fans were upset?

Obviously Levy is the main negotiator and the buck stops with him but it is pretty clear throughout Levy's tenure we have had numerous executives with the power and role of helping to negotiate. Theres is decent evidence that Eales, Baldini, Comolli, and Caplehorn are all involved heavily in negotiating. Any large organization that has only one person negotiating everything is extremely poorly run. Which to be fair, Spurs aren't particularly well run so that's probably the best argument in favor of Levy being the only one answering the phones.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-transfer-news-tim-sherwood-3033097

http://m.goal.com/s/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2013/07/22/4135969/tottenham-send-baldini-to-negotiate-soldado-deal-with?utm_referrer=https://www.google.co.uk/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-transfers-franco-baldini-best-2190555

http://talksport.com/magazine/features/130628/david-villa-move-tottenham-latest-news-spain-200570

"talkSPORT round up what the Spanish media are saying about the deal...

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...brink-levys-reduced-role-inside-the-tottenham

"Baldini has played only a minor role in the actual negotiation of transfers, with such discussions previously led by Levy or former director of administration Darren Eales, who left in November to become president of the new Major League Soccer side in Atlanta.

Eales is being replaced by QPR finance director Rebecca Caplehorn in another rejigged role, with the chartered accountant set to take over as head of the 'football operations' side of the club in which she will act as the focal point in transfer negotiations with clubs and agents.

While Levy will remain in his role as chairman, he intends where possible to take a step back from said football operations. He is well aware of recent criticism from supporters in the stands but has only ever acted in the best interests of the club. Mistakes are being acknowledged and corrected: the board know that they cannot keep blaming - and sacking - the manager."

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/damien-comolli-factfile-070905/

Ha ha, Sammy's been embarrassed by the facts again. The funny thing is, is that 10% of what he says actually makes sense. If he would just cut down his posts to the rate of an average member by omitting his 90% of bollocks he would be alright

But the article wasnt anti or pro Spurs.

It was a neutral observation of how Levy works on his transfers.

Are you suggesting he left out the "transfer team" on purpose to make Spurs look bad?

If I had an anti Spurs agenda, it would be the first thing I wrote about, as it would make us look like a clueless amature bunch of muppets, where the chairman sends people out to make decisions for him and sign players.
I'm not suggesting anything other than I don't take anything written by Aston as fact or credible.

That's the only point I was making. Building an argument based on an Article written by him not the strongest of foundations.

But if I were to comment on your point (I've not read the entire argument/debate) id say that Levy probably isn't involved in every single negotiation that takes place and I'm sure there are other employees that get involved to varying extents.

For instance we've seen many photos depicting baldini in meeting with other teams representatives presumably in negotiations.

Levy probably gets more involved in the bigger deals and from what I gather seems to be more involved in sales than purchases.

Also Levy was on holiday until 10 days ago. So he clearly couldn't have been negotiating for the Colombian kid for 15 days (assuming that deal is even real). Not as if that ever actually made an iota of sense in the first place.

Last edited:
Also Levy was on holiday until 10 days ago. So he clearly couldn't have been negotiating for the Colombian kid for 15 days. Not as if that ever actually made an iota of sense in the first place.

Now all we need is Arcy to say "Ended"...a pity he's in the bin...

From the manager not playing very good football with the players Levy sees fit to give him.

Do you think Levy wouldnt have moved to Stratford because some fans were upset?

Do you think that there are many chairmen in football that wouldn't have tried to get that stadium in Levys position he would have saved tens of millions and jumped all the hurdles. I was always anti Stratford but that's easy to say when you're not the man spearheading a 400 million pound investment

I have no issue with us aspiring to be better and understand that being so close makes it harder to stomach when we fall short. The point is that their fans are still not happy regardless as their level of expectations are higher.

They're still calling for the manager's head every time they drop points at home, still questioning their transfer policy, still questioning the manager's decision to only play in a certain way etc.. etc... etc...

So using them as example of some bastion to aspire to is fucked up imo.

Plus they're the fucking scum, have a word.

Who said aspire to be them? Aspire to achieve what they've done in the past 10 years though, let alone the past 20. Yeah it fucking hurts but it's a fact. It hurts a lot and so hence why the apologist, loser-mentality types piss me off. They think they're so Spurs because they accept mediocrity, fuck ups and general incompetence, like it makes them better supporters to just raise eyebrows and say nevermind. They question anybody berating and challenging failure, well how about I question how Spurs they are to not care far more about watching that scum best us for so long.

Fazio gone then. Shame he hasn't worked out either, somebody who's actually hard and can be a bit of a bastard like we need. Total soft underbelly takeover almost compete. At least we've had one Parker, Sandro, Fazio type around generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom