Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
good post.

i am shocked at how many of u lot had seen lamela play. & how many thought he was suited to the premiership.

most people i spoke to had never seen lamela play.
30m for a player most fans hadnt seen play or heard of was a strange one.

but i know u guys watch a lot more footy so probably have a roast whilst watching seria a every sunday.

I honestly believe there was massive collusion between Roma and Baldini. Baldini is Mr Roma.

That deal should be investigated.

I will also say this. Berahino is going to be a massive mistake as well. 25m for an U21 is ridiculous. I have seen him play. He isn't Kane and despite the fact him and Kane have played well together for the u21s I truly believe Kane would help any player. Lambert would have been a better fit.

That said old close eyes isn't going to play 2 up anyway. Not till we are on 7 points after 8 games anyway.

25m for Berahino is a joke. Piss poor management from above again. Levy thinks it's a bargain. He's always wrong. Why is no one else interested him?

I see a more expensive version of dos santos.

again. u misunderstand.

i never said dont buy imports.
just that buying 7 at once is stupid & huge gamble.

i prefer a balance.
i think 4/3 either way makes more sense.
im not saying we should have got 7 premiership proven players.
so yeh id take a gamble on a potential suarez rather than a welbeck too.

In that particular summer we signed what seemed like the 7 best players available to us with the money we had though. I get that 7 foreign imports is a huge gamble, but the club motto is To Dare is to Do

We dared. And sadly we didn't. But STILL.

i think hardly any off us would have seen those players play bar a handful of games (if that).
it was blind faith in levy & baldini.
it went wrong. dont think its as much of a suprise as being made out. i did think paulinho would be a lot better.

also 7 players who have never played in the premiership is a huge gamble.
the same people who have said all summer that buying a player from a foreign league is a gamble must surely think buying 7 is too?
dont get how buying 6 more is less of a gamble?

For a lot of people singing say Paulinho on his reputation was very much like city singing Silva and Aguero, we all looked at the foreign successes and it was wave of happiness, at least from memory.

A lot of hard lessons have been learned, well learned by the fans, not sure by the board. Such a disappointment, even Eriksen and Chadli are not without big faults, who'd have thought it be Kane as our best out field player back then.

And we have alreadt suffered for three games due to our shite policy..

Points dropped. When we fall short in May, again, you can accuse me of hindsight...again
"Our" shite policy of the window not closing BEFORE the season starts?

And I don't recall "accusing" you of hindsight. Not entirely sure that sentence even makes legible sense.

How would that even work? Are u suggesting at the end of the season if you point out these 3/4 games as the reason we've missed out on 4th I'd say you were using hindsight despite you having made the complaints up front?

Not everyone twists their arguments like you do. If that happens I won't disagree. My opinion won't change as to whether it's levy's fault we haven't signed Berahino earlier though.

Because my opinion is I don't know what negotiations are taking place and when don't don't know if it's his fault we having tied up the deal yet. Don't know now and won't know then.

I honestly believe there was massive collusion between Roma and Baldini. Baldini is Mr Roma.

That deal should be investigated.

I will also say this. Berahino is going to be a massive mistake as well. 25m for an U21 is ridiculous. I have seen him play. He isn't Kane and despite the fact him and Kane have played well together for the u21s I truly believe Kane would help any player. Lambert would have been a better fit.

That said old close eyes isn't going to play 2 up anyway. Not till we are on 7 points after 8 games anyway.

25m for Berahino is a joke. Piss poor management from above again. Levy thinks it's a bargain. He's always wrong. Why is no one else interested him?

I see a more expensive version of dos santos.

I reckon we could get Dos Santos for less than 20M :crouch:

Errrr......the difference is this time, that we have not sold a world class player and need to upgrade him.

We have sold half the squad, are short in three positions in the first team, and half of our "depth" have about an hour on PL football between them.

Bale sale = Needed to improve from the verge of a top 4 side
This summer = Need a basic squad so we can hang in there for top 8

We made a mistake with the Magnificent 7.

Should we never sign players again on that basis?
every club needs to sign players and we have just need a couple more the problem we have is that is that we need champions league quality players without having champions league so we are always going to find it hard to bring in the best unless we do what we done with the 7 and what utd and liverpool have done recently which is over spend on the best of average and see who comes good

Sammy. Why are you so sure results would have been any different if we had made all of our signings before the window had even opened? The problem isn't just our transfer policy, but also our piss poor pre season prep.

Pre-season is part of it but look at each game.

Man United: we should have got at least a draw, we were crying out for pace, they were so exposed on occasions. Got that Clinton guy afterwards.

Stoke: took Kane off and our formation went to shit and collapsed from there, a cover striker would have made the world of difference to that game as our formation would have remained stable.

Leicester: nothing obvious in this one other than Verts being a donkey at the end.

good post.

i am shocked at how many of u lot had seen lamela play. & how many thought he was suited to the premiership.

most people i spoke to had never seen lamela play.
30m for a player most fans hadnt seen play or heard of was a strange one.

but i know u guys watch a lot more footy so probably have a roast whilst watching seria a every sunday.
what is your point?
are you saying you'd seen plenty of Lamela and knew he wasn't going to be suited to the premiership?
are you having a go at people that may have seen lots of Lamela and had no idea if he was going to be any good in the premiership?
are you having a go at people that had never seen him and had no idea if he would be suited to the premiership but were excited?
in most cases no cunt had seen enough of Lamela to make a judgement, but even if they had its very difficult to say he would be shit. You are in a minority if you are one of those people who called it immediately and certainly in a minority if you weren't a bit excited by it all.

what is your point?
are you saying you'd seen plenty of Lamela and knew he wasn't going to be suited to the premiership?
are you having a go at people that may have seen lots of Lamela and had no idea if he was going to be any good in the premiership?
are you having a go at people that had never seen him and had no idea if he would be suited to the premiership but were excited?
in most cases no cunt had seen enough of Lamela to make a judgement, but even if they had its very difficult to say he would be shit. You are in a minority if you are one of those people who called it immediately and certainly in a minority if you weren't a bit excited by it all.

I try and watch a fair bit of Roma if I'm honest, and I had seen a fair bit of Lamela at the time. But it really is hard to tell how a players skill set will translate when he is playing in a different team under a different manager.

Manager instructions can be a big part of why players fail. His age made it more likely that he could adapt however.

A few years back(well more than a few) wasn't Levy congratulated by a lot of the footballing world for getting Spurs business done early(think it was the year we got Modric)

We agreed terms with Modric before the window opened (April) and signed Bale in late May. On both occassions we payed the market rate without months of brinkmanship... well, not that we were aware of. That said, we did our business with the Bale money (before we got it) early in that window too, so it's not when you spend it's how you identify your targets.

I don't think anyone is believing that one striker is acceptable, we are all pretty annoyed about the matter and want it resolved quickly. The issue we have is the new stadium. The money for the stadium isn't going to come out of nowhere, and for the clubs best interests in regards to the future we need to have the money to support the stadium. A bigger stadium and the deal with the NFL will bring in more money, more sponsorships and attract bigger name players to Tottenham.

We'd all love for Levy and ENIC to go and through £35m left, right and centre at new players, big names and not have to worry about anything, but the fact of the matter is that we can't afford to with new stadium. The last thing we need is for this new stadium to send us into a financial meltdown because we spent £60m on 2 players and got us nowhere.

I honestly believe, and some of you might slate me for this, but once we have the new stadium we will be able to attract the Agueros, Hazards and Bales of the future. But first and foremost we need to start backing a manager instead of sacking him after a poor run of results.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Sorry but this post is far to sensible for this forum and makes far too much sense. You didn't even call anyone a cunt

There is no rule that says you have to wait til deadline day.
Yet, with the exception of the elite clubs that spend big money and massive wages most clubs end up doing business in the last week and on deadline day.

Come on now you can't be that naive that you think that Levy is the only chairman that dictates when transfers get done.

I've no doubt that he could have signed "a" striker if he wasn't being picky about who but then you'd be complaining that he hasn't got who the manager wants.

Personally, I think 25 is too much for Berahino. If WBA won't sell for 22 then we should look elsewhere.

To me we need a quick striker who can come on and impact games in the last 20/30 minutes when legs are tired. This player might be Clinton or if we were willing to part with 10-20 Million I'd love to see us sign Pato who could do that job or Remy, who could do that as well as be an adequate back up striker/replacement if Kane gets injured/suspended.

The other thing we need up front is a striker who can be a good back up to Kane. Once more, Remy would be a good choice, another being Austin. 10-20 Million for one, depending what Chelsea would want for Remy. We all know we could sign Austin for 15, but that price could drop the closer to Deadline day we get.

I think one of our constant problems is the scouting set up. Yup we get the odd gem but with constant hiring & firing means there is little concrete structure to our purchases. J often sense panic buys. We seem to be very much a " flavor of the month " type of purchaser in many aspects of the infrastructure.

A few years ago I would have looked at Dario Gradi as a chief U.K. Scout.

There is many constants in football & the need to get new , talented players in is one. That requires lots of ground work over many years. I do question if we do that.

Illaramendi going back to sociedad is trending on twitter which despite all the bullshit makes it sound like its essentially done. Surely we could have offered more?

In this instance I don't think offering more would have made much of a difference. Madrid set a price which was met and the player wanted to go back to Sociedad, even with El Moyes. Much like Milner I think; he wasn't moving south, and that was that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom