Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure we tried to offload one of them thus making space for that other capable striker. I think Bobby and Ade will be gone in the summer as long as there isn't a miracle happening. But with Pochettino, he doesn't seem to want too many new factors in at the club in the middle of the season. Looking at the other clubs it seems to be actually the same.

Yeh I get that but we are in deep trouble if one indivdual gets injured, I am not expecting a guy of Kane's class but someone who can operate as a half decent forward, we really have exposed ourselves, we have had two windows to get this sorted and we have not. I think Poch can handle one new face and just imagine having to go into the cup final with either Ade or Bobby, it doesn't bare thinking about.

Yeh I get that but we are in deep trouble if one indivdual gets injured, I am not expecting a guy of Kane's class but someone who can operate as a half decent forward, we really have exposed ourselves, we have had two windows to get this sorted and we have not. I think Poch can handle one new face and just imagine having to go into the cup final with either Ade or Bobby, it doesn't bare thinking about.

A loan then? Because there might be targets in the summer that could be blocked because we had made a panic buy in January (probably to over price) that isn't that good and would be impossible to sell.

I can see both sides of the arguments, but think it will be easier in the summer. I hope, as said a few times, that Ings in one of the incoming striker this summer.

A loan then? Because there might be targets in the summer that could be blocked because we had made a panic buy in January (probably to over price) that isn't that good and would be impossible to sell.

I can see both sides of the arguments, but think it will be easier in the summer. I hope, as said a few times, that Ings in one of the incoming striker this summer.

Nothing wrong with loans, I know we loan out and don't really seem to loan in but for the rest of the season that would have been fine with me.

I still find it amazing that we have effectively one striker, no club should ever put themselves in that position, I cannot imagine for one second that Poch is in private happy about the situation one bit, it's almost madness.

A club like us should be at least able to scout across the UK, Europe, World etc and afford a player for 10 maybe 15 mil, it was the only essential thing we required and we required it in the past summer as well (admittley Bobby and Ade have proven themselves even less capable this season). I really can't see this as anything but Levy's failure and we have a history of not covering positions only to get caught out.
If we have to move Soldado and Abebayor first, and were unable to, then there's not a lot of space for a striker. We couldn't move Adebayor.

There were a few options we were rumoured to be looking at, but they were not players available in January. Rather than buying crap, it's better to wait for the targets we actually want. It leaves us a bit short of quality up front for this year, but it's better than having a short-term solution become a long-term problem because we cannot get rid of them quickly later.

Nothing wrong with loans, I know we loan out and don't really seem to loan in but for the rest of the season that would have been fine with me.

Alright, just saying it's not easy. I can't really see many players that would have been possible to get in on loan this January? We are one of the world's top clubs and to get in short time loan it had to be of very good quality. It's not like Heskey, Gudjohnsen or Carlton Cole is of the right quality. The best ones wouldn't be available for loan would they?

If we have to move Soldado and Abebayor first, and were unable to, then there's not a lot of space for a striker. We couldn't move Adebayor.

There were a few options we were rumoured to be looking at, but they were not players available in January. Rather than buying crap, it's better to wait for the targets we actually want. It leaves us a bit short of quality up front for this year, but it's better than having a short-term solution become a long-term problem because we cannot get rid of them quickly later.

Price tage for Ings in the window was apparently 10 mil and Berahino 20 mil, both would have represented good long and short term solutions. I can understand Levy's reluctance to go up to that amount, particularly with Ings as his contract is up soon, personally I would have paid 10 mil for Ings, he is a top class striker and we have no granatee in the summer of getting him, it would have been worth it to make sure he comes to us as I don't see another striker as good for that price right now, not in the prem anyway.

I just think in light of our situation we are not in a good position to be scouting for bargains, we have to accept that we might need to pay a bit to cover a very weak area. I am sure we will do something come summer and I will be amazed if we don't resolve this issue then. As for the rest of our team I think we have just enough to cope, I just hope not to see Paulinho on the pitch anymore.

Ings seems an obvious choice up top, quite like the idea of Jedinak and Depay would be a dream.

There are better players around, but thinking that is slightly more realistic.

Those are my choices as realistic targets that would improve us, would take Berahino even if he is a bit wild as the guy has amazing talent. Don't need much really just one or two key areas and and a good number of sales.

Price tage for Ings in the window was apparently 10 mil and Berahino 20 mil, both would have represented good long and short term solutions. I can understand Levy's reluctance to go up to that amount, particularly with Ings as his contract is up soon, personally I would have paid 10 mil for Ings, he is a top class striker and we have no granatee in the summer of getting him, it would have been worth it to make sure he comes to us as I don't see another striker as good for that price right now, not in the prem anyway.
I'm sorry, but that price tag for Ings is just ridiculous fiction. Burnley can't sell Ings and stay up. The cost of relegation is about 40 million in TV revenue, so why would they sell him for 10? Red top logic may suggest that he was available for that, but the club sure didn't.

Berahino is similar. WBA are in the same boat. If they sold their best striker at this point, and couldn't find another source of goals, it would probably sink them. Also, Berahino's really cooled off after his initial burst of goals, so I think 20 million for an at best "ok" striker would be an insane price. We've over-payed for Soldado and Paulinho already. Doing the same for Berahino wouldn't help.
I just think in light of our situation we are not in a good position to be scouting for bargains, we have to accept that we might need to pay a bit to cover a very weak area. I am sure we will do something come summer and I will be amazed if we don't resolve this issue then. As for the rest of our team I think we have just enough to cope, I just hope not to see Paulinho on the pitch anymore.
It's not a matter of paying a bit, it's a matter of finding someone competent. There are a lot of strikers out there, most of whom are actually really rubbish. You either pay a lot for someone really good, or you're wading through miles of crap to find an uncovered diamond. It's not a lot of in-between.

Add-in that the club aren't going to want to shove unwanted players on Pochettino and you get a situation where unless the player clearly fits our system, we're not going to try to get him. There were very few players that matched our profile, who were available in January. In fact, it seems there were none.

Those are my choices as realistic targets that would improve us, would take Berahino even if he is a bit wild as the guy has amazing talent. Don't need much really just one or two key areas and and a good number of sales.

Exactly. I think we will see Pritchard compete for a place, along with Yedlin and Dele Alli.

So as you said, outgoings could be the main business.

I'm sorry, but that price tag for Ings is just ridiculous fiction. Burnley can't sell Ings and stay up. The cost of relegation is about 40 million in TV revenue, so why would they sell him for 10? Red top logic may suggest that he was available for that, but the club sure didn't.

Berahino is similar. WBA are in the same boat. If they sold their best striker at this point, and couldn't find another source of goals, it would probably sink them. Also, Berahino's really cooled off after his initial burst of goals, so I think 20 million for an at best "ok" striker would be an insane price. We've over-payed for Soldado and Paulinho already. Doing the same for Berahino wouldn't help.

It's not a matter of paying a bit, it's a matter of finding someone competent. There are a lot of strikers out there, most of whom are actually really rubbish. You either pay a lot for someone really good, or you're wading through miles of crap to find an uncovered diamond. It's not a lot of in-between.

Add-in that the club aren't going to want to shove unwanted players on Pochettino and you get a situation where unless the player clearly fits our system, we're not going to try to get him. There were very few players that matched our profile, who were available in January. In fact, it seems there were none.

Yes but within Europe surely there must be a player at a resonable price who can offer something greater than the useless duo of Bobby and Ade. If in two transfer windows we can't resolve this issue in even a band aid or temp way it doesn't reflect good on the club, we have been so so lucky for Kane remaining fit. We are endangering a potentially good season by not doing everything we can, a top 6 club should not allow itself to become this thread bare in a key position.

Yes but within Europe surely there must be a player at a resonable price who can offer something greater than the useless duo of Bobby and Ade. If in two transfer windows we can't resolve this issue in even a band aid or temp way it doesn't reflect good on the club, we have been so so lucky for Kane remaining fit. We are endangering a potentially good season by not doing everything we can, a top 6 club should not allow itself to become this thread bare in a key position.

That's the thing though, there must be. There certainly are, but would they:
- fit in at Spurs
- speak the language
- be available at a reasonable price
- be willing to come to Spurs?

It will be easier in the summer. On the paper Soldado and Ade should be good enough to step up, but they worry me as much as they worry everyone else.

Based upon recent performances we could probably find a more productive striker in League 2, and not have to search all around Europe.

Based upon recent performances we could probably find a more productive striker in League 2, and not have to search all around Europe.

I know you mean it as a joke but your not far wrong, the gap between Kane and Bobby/Ade is a grand canyon chasim, I am sure there are a few top Championship strikers who would have done the trick, at least offered the ability to hold the ball up which neither Bobby or Ade seem able to do. Alternative to that is to try say Chaldi in the forward role.

I am very curious how some of our players like Ade/Bobby/Paulinho became so so bad.

eanN17 eanN17 said it well, but finding an instantly successful addition at striker is a very tall ask. The available choices were very limited, in particular the number who can do the non-goal scoring stuff that we need a striker to do as well.

Summer, with the longer time period and more open contracts allows for us to find someone, but a January window with a dead market is not going to allow you to find solutions quickly.

I don't like our striker situation, but it is what it is, and wasn't able to be fixed in January for very understandable reasons. We'll see what happens in the summer, when things are more in our favour.

Doing everything we can, and actually finding something that works are not the same things. It wasn't a case of throwing money at the problem, it was a case of finding the right people. Saying "I'm sure there was someone in the Championship" is not the same thing as going looking and actually finding that person. And then getting their club to sell them to you.

I know you mean it as a joke but your not far wrong, the gap between Kane and Bobby/Ade is a grand canyon chasim, I am sure there are a few top Championship strikers who would have done the trick, at least offered the ability to hold the ball up which neither Bobby or Ade seem able to do. Alternative to that is to try say Chaldi in the forward role.

I am very curious how some of our players like Ade/Bobby/Paulinho became so so bad.
It was a joke and exaggeration but I frankly think that there is some truth to it as well. At least if you were able to pull out a somewhat talented striker from a lower league, they would come out on the pitch and work their ass off, unlike Ade right now. All things being equal, one of those players would have slotted home at least one of the muffed shots by Bobby. I'm not actually advocating that we go out and scour the lower leagues for this player, but I think that they could actually produce more for us at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom