Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solid plan. But if anyone calls him a "developing", "young", or even "a half way decent midfielder," Ill pay whatever Levy wants just to get him out of the squad asap.
He is a decent midfielder, he's a good squad player. He's Tottenham through and through, works hard in training and gives it his all when he plays. He's not young by any means, but not old either. There's definitely room for improvement, but he's never going to be a superstar.

Solid plan. But if anyone calls him a "developing", "young", or even "a half way decent midfielder," Ill pay whatever Levy wants just to get him out of the squad asap.
He's a 10 who was asked to suddenly play a new position. And he gave it his all, but naturally struggled. Unless he somehow learns to fix all his positioning issues by August, I'd rather he became Eriksen's back-up.

He's not for sale. Poche is getting Levy to flog all dissidents.
Funny one really. I`d rather Poch concentrate on changing the mentality and getting the best out of of our good players, rather than keep the rubbish players on the basis that they have the right attitude.. ..

Last edited:
What about Dennis praet as a backup or contender for Eriksen? We could get him for around 9 mil and I think Eriksen needs more rest and a contender.

What about Dennis praet as a backup or contender for Eriksen? We could get him for around 9 mil and I think Eriksen needs more rest and a contender.

I'd like to think Pritchard (and Lamela) be the backups and contenders for that CAM position. And given that, we still need to get wingers though.

Funny one really. I`d rather Poch concentrate on changing the mentality and getting the best out of of our good players, rather than keep the rubbish players on the basis that they have right attitude.. ..
Not sure Madon is rubbish, he was played out of position all year. I would like to see him played in position before claiming he's rubbish.

As far as mentality goes, either you're professional or not. If you can't commit to the team, talent won't save you. Most of the squad had no problem with this. If some did, we don't need them.

I'd like to think Pritchard (and Lamela) be the backups and contenders for that CAM position. And given that, we still need to get wingers though.
I agree with that, but poch rarely used lamela at this cam spot and we don't know how Pritchard is going to work out. Furthermore I would like to see Pritchard as back up for all 3 offensive positions, so another no 10 could be great.

Not sure Madon is rubbish, he was played out of position all year. I would like to see him played in position before claiming he's rubbish.

As far as mentality goes, either you're professional or not. If you can't commit to the team, talent won't save you. Most of the squad had no problem with this. If some did, we don't need them.

It's the old schoolteacher thing do you spend half your time on one or two kids who are disruptive in class or do you improve the 15-20 willing to learn

I say fuck off the troublemakers, that was number 1 rule in fergie book no matter who they were Beckham, Keane the minute they stepped out of line that was the end of it

People dissing Mason and Bentaleb, I would love to know your honest assessment of Harry Kane before last season. Mason and Bentaleb were starting several games in a premier league team that finished fifth. So they can't be that bad!

I am not saying they are world beaters but they have done extremely well compared to the utter trash we have had to deal with compared to experienced international stars like Paulinho and Capoue and Dembele.

Their main problem is consistency. Also it is a team game and unless you are as talented as Messi, your game will not stand out unless the entire team plays well. In the game against woolwich at WHL, the entire team was wonderful. Attack after attack, quick pressing and closing down and all done by a team that had Bentaleb and Mason in the middle chasing around like rabid dogs! So these same set of players are capable of giving teams like Woolwich and Chelsea the run around.

Mason and Bentaleb don't give us the wow factor that a pairing like Pogba-Vidal or Alonso-Schweinsteiger would give and it is not intimidating on paper because they are still making their way. But if they stick around and the team improves together, these guys will get more recognition.

Having said that, if we get rid of Paulinho, Capoue, Stambouli, Holtby and Dembele, we should go all out and sign 2 players who are better than Mason and Bentaleb. Schneiderlin and Bender would be the best possible scenario. That is because no matter how many talented youngsters we have, we should always strive to improve the first team.

Charlie Austin is a quality player, being a Swindon based Spur I watched him many times playing for the Town and his awareness and all round game are top level. The only issue is his injury record as would he survive a Pochettino pre-season. Would like us to sign him as he has a nasty side and we could do with more of those players (Pritchard also has this). I'm more for buying these type of players than some of our foreign purchases - will give more.

So we have basically gotten rid of 4 players who were no way near the first team in the central midfield spot for 26 million pounds.

Now I hope we have learnt from our mistakes and try to get one established star for 20-25 million in the market rather than two or three 8 million unproven players. Please do not use this to reignite the argument of higher price doesn't necessarily mean better. It is not always the case but it is not the rule.

Nothing wrong with signing youngsters, but the initial focus of the transfer window should always be to improve the first team. Players who are capable of walking into the starting 11 because they are better than our current first team starters. After we get a guy like Schneiderlin (just an example, I know he is joining United) who has proved himself at the top level for several years, then we focus on a youngster who we can train and improve to become a first team player in 3-4 years.

And I hope we also sell Dembele and get a more mobile and quick passing defensive midfielder. Dembele is terrific, he is probably one of the best in the world at what he does, but what he does is a complete mismatch to what is needed in the Spurs' system under Poch. A guy like Dembele would be a superstar in the tiki-taka Barcelona team, but he is bad fit for us and we have to take away the sentimentality factor and get rid of him to get someone like Sven Bender who is so much better suited for the quick transition play that Poch is looking for.

Despite our net spend mentality I think if we get rid of 5 CMs who are not close to the first team and sign 2 who are better than Bentaleb and Mason, we are going to automatically improve a lot. Guys like Fazio and Vertonghen don't go bad all of a sudden. With a better midfield ahead of them, the defense will automatically improve!

Afraid I can't agree with selling Dembele. Think back to our best performances of last season, did he feature? Yes he did.

I'd like to see Dembele get a run in the more attacking position he was briefly given. As far as I'm concerned, though, he's not our biggest worry at the moment and I don't understand the vitriol he gets here.

Chiriches, on the other hand....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom