Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think it's the worst kept secret that he really wanted Berahino last summer & we didn't get him. Maybe that's down to Poch himself setting the bid limit- I doubt it, but maybe that's the reason he didn't come to us. Similarly, I can't see the club wasting time & energy showing Jannsen round the facilities & turning his head to us if he wasn't a player Poch wanted. Which brings me back to the fee for him. Maybe Poch has set the bid limit again for him. Maybe not. But if we keep missing out on targets in a position where we have a critical need to strengthen, then there is no point in complaining when we fall short again. I take it that is melting to some people. Manure are strengthening. Citeh are. As are the chavs, the dippers & the scum.

At some point we are going to have to spend on a striker. Historically the most expensive position to fill. We dropped so lucky with Harry Kane. Are we really even debating the need to lay out some serious money to consolidate our place in the league, or are we happy to fall back behind our rivals, having finally made a dent in the sky 4?
Man U, City and chavs have more money than us, always have always will. I think we are being a bit more frugal as there is some building work going on at the ground. Maybe that will be a new stadium that could see us compete at least on the same level as Woolwich?
Yes you are right, striker is usually the most expensive position to fill, but is Janssen the finished article. That remains to be seen surely. He may have potential but some are going on like he's going to be banging in 25 as season here, like they did when we spent all that dough on Soldado.
He could just as easily be a flop.
Janssen was playing in the dutch equivalent of the championship up until last year, and is probably a worst level. He could overachieve like Ali did- who some were bemoaning relying on for last season - or he could turn out to be a flop.
Troy Deeney was a consistently high scorer in the championship for Watford. His last 4 seasons he scored low of 11 and a highest of 29. Yet managed 13 in the PL starting every game.
For the record I think he's worth having a punt on, but he's not someone we should expect to pay £20m for.
Arjen Robben cost £20m, Wijnaldum and strootman the same.
Man U paid £34m for Depay who scored 34 goals and made 12 assists in the 2 seasons for PSV before he came to Man U. How did he fare.
In fact Man U have paid the most for Dutch players.

Whilst that is true, you have to ensure an upward trajectory in order to get to the point where you're a Bale, Rooney, Ronaldo or Messi - in terms of earnings.

Ask Lukaku how his career path stalled - same as Torres, Remy, Ba, Moses, Cuadrado, Marin and a few of the other guys chelsea signed, left to rot, and ended up in the Turkish league on loan or permanently at age 27.

I absolutely agree about their track record in player development. My point was more a general one, because the complaint is common and not restricted to this one instance.

In this specific case, that long list of players they've ruined might easily be the reason they had to offer £150k per week instead of him simply being happy to pick up the £100k he was asking for - their bad history is probably coming back to bite them, especially since Bats was on international duty with Lukaku while this played out.

Really not trying to be a dick, but your boss must absolutely fucking love you.

"Those guys over at Sprockets B offered Gatsby Gatsby double the money and a 4 day work week, but the good boy told them to fuck off - he wants to enjoy his sprocket making."

The amount of money in football is obscene, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still a job - and a very short term one at that. Bats can go to hell, but I do get so tired of people having a moan about footballers choosing this club or that "for an extra £30k a week" as if they'd just turn the money down and play for free.

What I'm saying is, money isn't everything. I'd rather do a job I enjoy for less than something I hate for more. Of course he may of looked at Drogba and thought he can emulate him.. But then looked at Remy, Torres, Marin, Kakuta and Lukaku. All brilliant players but were ruined at Chelsea.

Janssen seems like he has the better attitude and knows that he'll develop correctly and play more with us.. Hence the rumours he's turned down PSG.

I absolutely agree about their track record in player development. My point was more a general one, because the complaint is common and not restricted to this one instance.

In this specific case, that long list of players they've ruined might easily be the reason they had to offer £150k per week instead of him simply being happy to pick up the £100k he was asking for - their bad history is probably coming back to bite them, especially since Bats was on international duty with Lukaku while this played out.

Depends if they are mates - if either one was a bit of a dick, then MB might have just thought "they got rid of you because you're not as good as me" etc,

What I'm saying is, money isn't everything. I'd rather do a job I enjoy for less than something I hate for more. Of course he may of looked at Drogba and thought he can emulate him.. But then looked at Remy, Torres, Marin, Kakuta and Lukaku. All brilliant players but were ruined at Chelsea.

Janssen seems like he has the better attitude and knows that he'll develop correctly and play more with us.. Hence the rumours he's turned down PSG.

Absolutely agree that they've ruined a ton of careers. But they've obviously paid him over the odds in personal terms. I'll hate him for being a chav and hope he rots...but I can't begrudge him the wage, given that he'll likely make double what we'd have paid him.

Depends if they are mates - if either one was a bit of a dick, then MB might have just thought "they got rid of you because you're not as good as me" etc,

I like to imagine that comment being made immediately before Lukaku is named in the teamsheet.

The hilarity is undermined by the fact Wilmots is shit, so his team selection doesn't really mean anything.

Whilst that is true, you have to ensure an upward trajectory in order to get to the point where you're a Bale, Rooney, Ronaldo or Messi - in terms of earnings.

Ask Lukaku how his career path stalled - same as Torres, Remy, Ba, Moses, Cuadrado, Marin and a few of the other guys chelsea signed, left to rot, and ended up in the Turkish league on loan or permanently at age 27.
Their footballing careers are even shorter by wasting years at the Chavs doing nothing and ending up on loan at some second level league. No wonder they take the money.

Absolutely agree that they've ruined a ton of careers. But they've obviously paid him over the odds in personal terms. I'll hate him for being a chav and hope he rots...but I can't begrudge him the wage, given that he'll likely make double what we'd have paid him.

That's what I'm now glad we didn't sign him. He's playing football for the money not for the enjoyment of the game.

Their footballing careers are even shorter by wasting years at the Chavs doing nothing and ending up on loan at some second level league. No wonder they take the money.

Imagine how much better Falcao's career would be now if he went on loan to a team that played him regularly, like your West Ham or Stokes of the league. He still earns the same, but his next contract isn't likely to be as rewarding as it could be if he maintained his status.

He's also won sod all at Man Utd and Chelsea.

Sturridge made a mistake signing for them when he left City, but redeemed himself. Shame it was for lolerpool, who no striker can play without losing their knees. #youllneverwalkagain

Man U, City and chavs have more money than us, always have always will. I think we are being a bit more frugal as there is some building work going on at the ground. Maybe that will be a new stadium that could see us compete at least on the same level as Woolwich?
Yes you are right, striker is usually the most expensive position to fill, but is Janssen the finished article. That remains to be seen surely. He may have potential but some are going on like he's going to be banging in 25 as season here, like they did when we spent all that dough on Soldado.
He could just as easily be a flop.
Janssen was playing in the dutch equivalent of the championship up until last year, and is probably a worst level. He could overachieve like Ali did- who some were bemoaning relying on for last season - or he could turn out to be a flop.
Troy Deeney was a consistently high scorer in the championship for Watford. His last 4 seasons he scored low of 11 and a highest of 29. Yet managed 13 in the PL starting every game.
For the record I think he's worth having a punt on, but he's not someone we should expect to pay £20m for.
Arjen Robben cost £20m, Wijnaldum and strootman the same.
Man U paid £34m for Depay who scored 34 goals and made 12 assists in the 2 seasons for PSV before he came to Man U. How did he fare.
In fact Man U have paid the most for Dutch players.
All the teams around us seem to have deeper pockets than us. They are more prepared to take risks on signings. That's the way of the world. But if this lad has been scouted properly (& looking at southamptons track record under Poch & Mitchell, I'd fucking well hope so) the black box has spoken, etc- then let's just get the fucker done nice & early. Let's give Poch a full pre season with him. Is £20 million an unreasonable risk when Troy Deeney's name is being flung around at a far higher price?

The TV money means there will be some eye watering transfers. I'm not saying we have to auction the family silver, but we should be expecting to pay more than Robben went for several years ago.

Really not trying to be a dick, but your boss must absolutely fucking love you.

"Those guys over at Sprockets B offered Gatsby Gatsby double the money and a 4 day work week, but the good boy told them to fuck off - he wants to enjoy his sprocket making."

The amount of money in football is obscene, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still a job - and a very short term one at that. Bats can go to hell, but I do get so tired of people having a moan about footballers choosing this club or that "for an extra £30k a week" as if they'd just turn the money down and play for free.

The thing is, people who make these complaints are fans. I don't think it's a stretch to say that if you lined up 100 Spurs fans and said "we need someone on our roster, we'll cover food/travel expenses but you'll only earn minimum wage", at least half of them would volunteer.

Man U, City and chavs have more money than us, always have always will. .
City and Chelsea have most definitely NOT always had more money than us. Historically they are smaller clubs with smaller fan bases. What they currently have though is very wealthy owner/s with a willingness to spunk a load of their own wealth into their clubs to elevate them above their normal station. We also have extremely rich owners. A tax dodging less wealthy one I admit. But rich nevertheless. Only ours refuses to invest a single shekel of his dodgy billions into helping us compete. (spursy)

The thing is, people who make these complaints are fans. I don't think it's a stretch to say that if you lined up 100 Spurs fans and said "we need someone on our roster, we'll cover food/travel expenses but you'll only earn minimum wage", at least half of them would volunteer.

Obviously, but its not a pub team is it? But yeah, I understand where the sentiment comes from, just think people ought to think rationally about things. The professional in professional footballer is there for a reason.

If you believe Lying Thomas....

Don't believe he knows much more than any one of us. But what he does know is that Levy has form for turning a players head, getting the press in a lather, upsetting the selling club & then coming up short with the bid to land the player.
Exhibit 1- Saido Berahino.

Imagine how much better Falcao's career would be now if he went on loan to a team that played him regularly, like your West Ham or Stokes of the league. He still earns the same, but his next contract isn't likely to be as rewarding as it could be if he maintained his status.

He's also won sod all at Man Utd and Chelsea.

Sturridge made a mistake signing for them when he left City, but redeemed himself. Shame it was for lolerpool, who no striker can play without losing their knees. #youllneverwalkagain
Falcao's career died when he signed for Monaco. Now he's an expensive blagger that gets a massive contract and very little playing time. Then again his knee is done for isn't it?

Still he has an impressive CV. Atleti, Monaco, Utd and the Chavs looks good.

Falcao's career died when he signed for Monaco. Now he's an expensive blagger that gets a massive contract and very little playing time. Then again his knee is done for isn't it?

Still he has an impressive CV. Atleti, Monaco, Utd and the Chavs looks good.

I see him as no different to some one like Mark Schwartzer, Anders Lingaard or any of the others who have signed for big clubs and practically not played.

If he's got a nose for ££, he'll end up in China.

Not sure how official the official AZ news is but it seems to be going around a bit that we've made an acceptable 4th bid. Player expected in London this week to finalise move.

Back
Top Bottom