Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

:levywtf:
No. West Ham and QPR throwing money around without a sustainable plan is a small club mentality. Building a very competitive squad in a cost effective way is the best thing we could be doing right now, and i'm happy that we are doing just that.
And I can just imagine Daniel Levy drooling and fondling himself as he reads through posts just like this one:levywtf:

No. West Ham and QPR throwing money around without a sustainable plan is a small club mentality. Building a very competitive squad in a cost effective way is the best thing we could be doing right now, and i'm happy that we are doing just that.

Ummm... to be fair, no one wants their money so far.

Upgrades in attack? Over who?

Let's be really clear about some of this stuff before a whole bunch of false narratives take over.

Our attack last year was one of the 3 best in the league. Arguably the best, depending on how you want to measure it.

Exactly who the blistering fuck do you intend to find who is going to sign for us, within our wage structure, for 30 million pounds or less, and who is an automatic upgrade on one of Dele Alli, Christian Eriksen, Erik Lamela, or Harry Kane?

There is literally no one in Europe who is better than one of those four players who are also not more expensive than 30 million pounds. And that's not taking into account the fact that unlike everyone (literally) with better attacking output than them, they're not over the age of 25. All of our ideal front four are still developing talents, and have not yet entered their peak seasons (Alli and Kane in particular). Sure, you could find someone who scored one or two more goals, but they're all 27 or so, with a shorter future and little to no potential for growth.

Adding to that Son, N'Jie, and hopefully Janssen with similar profiles and we have one of the strongest attacking squads in England. Don't judge Son and N'Jie on injury hit first years, judge them on what we signed them for, their last years in Germany and France. Our weak points are Nacer Chadli, Ryan Mason and Tom Carroll. None of whom are bad players. They might not be superstars, but they're not stealing a living, by any stretch.

Who is going to be an upgrade? There are a few guys we could add who would be excellent additions and who could maybe match our current players, but to do better you need to find a legitimate Champion's League superstar. Like Mkhitaryan, for example. Who isn't going to cost 30 million pounds.

People need to get their fucking noses out of the red tops, and stop with the sky-is-falling hyperbole.

This is our best team in a long time, (best I can think of since at least the mid-80s) and we need to stop slagging ourselves off because we're not transfer pundit darlings.

People need to start accepting the fact that Spurs, right now, are genuinely a good team, and on talent, aren't some plucky underdogs relying on luck.
Shortsighted opinion.

We were a couple short last season and every team every must add a couple of quality additions. That means we need 4 players.

Anything less and your words will be the embodimemt of hyperbole because my friend you are playing to the easy view.

Our squad is good but nothing more as it stands.

:levywtf:
And I can just imagine Daniel Levy drooling and fondling himself as he reads through posts just like this one:levywtf:

If only he'd been smart enough to trademark this phrase....

ra,unisex_tshirt,x3104,f89f2b:1617e563f0,front-c,650,630,900,975-bg,f8f8f8.u4.jpg

...and he'd have cornered both polar ends of the market on here :levyeyes:

De Spurs gaan dus met hun vierde bod tegemoet komen aan de vraagprijs van AZ van zo'n € 20 miljoen. De overgang en deal zal dinsdag a.s. op basis van dit bericht wel beklonken worden.

Voor AZ en Vincent Janssen de gewenste duidelijkheid. Janssen kan afscheid nemen van AZ en de voorbereiding starten bij de Spurs. AZ kan z.s.m. de gewenste opvolger(s) halen. Weghorst en Friday zijn de meest genoemde namen. Twee voor de prijs van één en pak 'm beet € 14 miljoen op de bank na betaling van de afkoopsommen en opleidingsvergoedingen e.d.

From AZ forum.

No idea what it says, & Google translate made it no easier to understand but it seems that we may be close.
They had me at beklonken.

After Wanyama and Janssen I think all we need is a pacey dribbler to play in the attacking three behind the striker.

It's the one dimension we miss in attack and I think we'd be devastating with that in our team. We thought Lamela and Son could do it when we signed them but neither can and we don't have anyone who can beat a man.

N'Jie is supposed to be lightening quick but I haven't seen enough to judge what he can do in possession as well as off it.

Someone of the ilk of Martial, Mahrez, Sanchez, Hazard is all we need to have all bases covered in attack imo. We're linked with Gini Wijnaldum at the moment and I have to say I've always been impressed when I've watched him for Newcastle and I think he'd be an upgrade on any of the sub options we have at present.

After Wanyama and Janssen I think all we need is a pacey dribbler to play in the attacking three behind the striker.

It's the one dimension we miss in attack and I think we'd be devastating with that in our team. We thought Lamela and Son could do it when we signed them but neither can and we don't have anyone who can beat a man.

N'Jie is supposed to be lightening quick but I haven't seen enough to judge what he can do in possession as well as off it.

Someone of the ilk of Martial, Mahrez, Sanchez, Hazard is all we need to have all bases covered in attack imo. We're linked with Gini Wijnaldum at the moment and I have to say I've always been impressed when I've watched him for Newcastle and I think he'd be an upgrade on any of the sub options we have at present.

They may not be the definition of pacey, but saying that our three behind in Alli, Lamela and Eriksen are not driblers and cannot beat a man, is very harsh indeed.

Imho you're looking at it the wrong way. And you give it away by making the statement about Lamela and Son. You're assuming that they can't because they don't very often. Our play isn't really set up that way. Given a choice between skill we need passing, movement off the ball, pressing and stamina before dribling. Might not be sexy but that's the reality imo.

The times when the opposition is camped in their own box - which for us is the majority of games - we need special skills to unlock defences.

One of those is dribbling and as it stands we have no one who can consistently beat a defender with skill and pace. Even a player like Willian who can threaten defenders and force them to retreat is so useful in those scenarios and creates spaces for the likes of Kane, Eriksen and Alli to make key passes or take shots.

Don't talk shite about Lamela or Son being able to beat a defender one on one... it simply isn't true.

The times when the opposition is camped in their own box - which for us is the majority of games - we need special skills to unlock defences.

One of those is dribbling and as it stands we have no one who can consistently beat a defender with skill and pace. Even a player like Willian who can threaten defenders and force them to retreat is so useful in those scenarios and creates spaces for the likes of Kane, Eriksen and Alli to make key passes or take shots.

Don't talk shite about Lamela or Son being able to beat a defender one on one... it simply isn't true.

If you want to try to simplify football tactics to "we don't have this, let's go get it", be my guest. Does show you don't really understand how football tactics work in generel and specifically how Poch is setting up our attacks.

We don't have a big lump up front either for when the opponents are camped in. Andy Carroll might be available. Or Benteke.

Shortsighted opinion.

We were a couple short last season and every team every must add a couple of quality additions. That means we need 4 players.

Anything less and your words will be the embodimemt of hyperbole because my friend you are playing to the easy view.

Our squad is good but nothing more as it stands.
Not melting is the easy view?

Fascinating.

We could've done with a couple more? We would've had them, too, if only Pritchard and N'Jie hadn't both been lost for basically the entire season.

The reality is that we have an excellent squad, compared to the competition. It can be improved, and we're trying to, but to claim that we are doomed and not good enough without massive change is ridiculous.
To claim things are a disaster because we haven't signed x by now is likewise ridiculous. This isn't football manager, this is real life. Things are actually complicated and involve real human beings.

So, if we struggled so much at unlocking these defences because we lacked dribbling and pace, how'd we score the second most goals in the league and carve open the best defences in the league quite regularly?

Or did you not actually watch the games so you missed how our offence worked?

It's about improving. Yes we had a great season last time, do we just sit around and pat ourselves on the back?

No we look to improve and you do that by adding to areas in the squad which are deficient. One such area is having a different option when plan A isn't working.

Having someone who can come off the bench and offer something different is vital and could have turned some of those games we dominated but drew, into wins.

Lets look at it this way:

Woolwich : Sanchez
Man United: Martial
Chelsea: Hazard
Man City : Aguero
Liverpool: Sturridge
Leicester : Mahrez

All our rivals have players that are great in one-on-one duels and we simply do not. There are very slight improvements needed for this Spurs team but that is one of them and if you can't see that then I don't know what to say.

Someone of the ilk of Boufal or even Berahino would be great.
We have midfield sorted with Wanyama and Janssen will provide the striking cover.

All that's left is an injection of pace and dribbling ability.

Back
Top Bottom