Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only you, me and everyone who follows the club knows that ENIC will not subsidise transfers. There is a set budget for transfers and if we over pay for one there is less in the pot for another. We will do very well to hang on to some of the best young kids in the country when every other year the best English talents sign for big wages to warm Citeh's bench.

FWIW we do not have to scrimp because of the stadium we will borrow the bulk of the costs and repay from increased revenue. Any other year I would be on your wavelength, but Levy is keeping his head down getting on with business and we have a good setup.

If we do not sell a couple then I can't see more than two or three incomings.

We have a squad full of players other teams would undoubtedly want but in a perverse kind of way we benefited from the relatively poor showing of Alli and Kane in the Euros. In truth even the usually dependable Alderweireld was not at his best.

They form a strong part of our spine but looked tired or unable to deliver on the expectation.

My take on it was that they were not caoable of producing the goods because the demands on them all season was too great. That they need even better quality alongside them or that this time next year they will start looking elsewhere. The same could easily apply to Rose, Walker and Dier.

We are seeing that loyalty is a cold tasteless dish unless served with disgustingly high wages or a clear sign of club intent.

Pochettino may have enviable relationships with the players but the Premier League now has some big hitters who will see our players on a regular basis and have a closer handle on their whims.

We have as firm a base as any. Nobody is asking for silly expenditure but we need to maximise our position right now and if that means a bit of speculating so be it.

Our English players looked shit in the Euros because not because they were tired, but because Hodgson is a clueless twat. They'd have looked just as bad with 3 months off before.

It's hard to get excited about this transfer window because although Wanyama is a solid signing and Janssen (if he comes) a potential hit, neither are top top draw signings.

I think Mourinho/Guardiola/Conte going to United/City/Chelsea and bringing in the likes of Ibra, Mhkitaryan, (possibly Matuidi), Gundogan, Nolito, Batshuayi makes it feel like we're being left behind.

Even Woolwich look in good shape with Xhaka looking a great addition and Sanchez, Ozil, Giroud, Ramsey all tearing it up for their national teams this summer.

Liverpool have brought in Mane who - while obviously not worth £30 mil - will be great for them.

It's going to be exceptionally hard to replicate or improve upon last season if we're just targeting players in the £10-15 million bracket.

At the end of the day the market has changed and we have to accept that silly prices are now the norm. We have the new TV money, we have Champions League football and if the likes of West Ham and Palace can offer £30 million for players why can't we?

It's clear we need upgrades in attack and we're gonna have to pay a fair chunk if we want the right calibre of player in.

It's hard to get excited about this transfer window because although Wanyama is a solid signing and Janssen (if he comes) a potential hit, neither are top top draw signings.

I think Mourinho/Guardiola/Conte going to United/City/Chelsea and bringing in the likes of Ibra, Mhkitaryan, (possibly Matuidi), Gundogan, Nolito, Batshuayi makes it feel like we're being left behind.

Even Woolwich look in good shape with Xhaka looking a great addition and Sanchez, Ozil, Giroud, Ramsey all tearing it up for their national teams this summer.

Liverpool have brought in Mane who - while obviously not worth £30 mil - will be great for them.

It's going to be exceptionally hard to replicate or improve upon last season if we're just targeting players in the £10-15 million bracket.

At the end of the day the market has changed and we have to accept that silly prices are now the norm. We have the new TV money, we have Champions League football and if the likes of West Ham and Palace can offer £30 million for players why can't we?

It's clear we need upgrades in attack and we're gonna have to pay a fair chunk if we want the right calibre of player in.

I totally get what you're saying. I really do. I'd love exciting signings as well. The cold, hard truth is though that we were left behind long before this window. The money is no object due to outside investment kind of clubs (and the United's of this world) are miles ahead of us.

People can call it ENIC yes man all they like. But I'd prefer what we're doing over selling our collective souls to a dirty Russian or being the marketing tool of a small foreign state. I'd take promoting Edwards, CCV, KWP over those signings, you mention, if the price is what City have paid.

If we, with Poch at the helm, do actually succeed and go all the way in the league in the coming years, my pride will be infinitely bigger than it would be if we did it by just throwing oil billions at solving it.

Palace are metaphorically spunking £30m. If they have that from TV money there is no doubt in my mind at all that they should be spending it on the foundations of the club, be it youth, training or stadium.

We should know as well as anyone that a big fee can mean FA in terms of returns (Soldado....). Unless there is a blank cheque and the means to make it look like you are playing by the financial rules then I think you have to cut your cloth accordingly. If that means being the best run of the non-funny money clubs then I'm happy with that.

Amazingly I think our true rivals are Liverpool. And if they're paying £30m for mane then I think their decision making is still piss poor.

If we continue to invest in youth, and can be seen as the best option (apart from Mourihno and his 45 youth promotions) for the best young players to actually play first team football in the EPL then I see that as our route to winning.

Fuck it, I think I'm done with the forum for a month or so, at least until something happens.

"We can't advance if we're only going to spend £10-15 mil on players"

Aye, it's worked shit so far. Who would want Bayern Munich target Eric Dier in their team, probably Englands best player? How about eventual Real Madrid target Alli, who has been dubbed the best young prospect in Europe?

People still bleating on about spending big money 1) Don't understand what the club and Poch are trying to do 2) The financial restrictions of the stadium 3) Big signings have ended in disaster for us in the past 4) With one of the best coaches in the world you may as well buy cheap and develop 5) You're doing a massive disrespect to the academy, where we have loads of great players developing who will fill spots 6) An insult to Chadli, Son and Clinton, who will all improve on last year.

Too many melts, too much "Fucking Levy!" posts and too much ignorance. If you want us to spend £30-40mil on Bats, go support Chelsea or another club, this isn't the club for you.

Fuck it, I think I'm done with the forum for a month or so, at least until something happens.

Aye, it's worked shit so far. Who would want Bayern Munich target Eric Dier in their team, probably Englands best player? How about eventual Real Madrid target Alli, who has been dubbed the best young prospect in Europe?

People still bleating on about spending big money 1) Don't understand what the club and Poch are trying to do 2) The financial restrictions of the stadium 3) Big signings have ended in disaster for us in the past 4) With one of the best coaches in the world you may as well buy cheap and develop 5) You're doing a massive disrespect to the academy, where we have loads of great players developing who will fill spots 6) An insult to Chadli, Son and Clinton, who will all improve on last year.

Too many melts, too much "Fucking Levy!" posts and too much ignorance. If you want us to spend £30-40mil on Bats, go support Chelsea or another club, this isn't the club for you.

Oh dry your fucking eyes you wet blanket!!!!! No one is saying we need to spend 90 million on Gareth Bale and none of us are Expecting that sort of transfer but to sit there and dismiss our inability to sign a proper striker in the last 4 windows is just ignorance. Burying your head in the sand thinking we are going to cope again with 1 striker don't hold with me. I'm just as passionate about spurs as you are and I see the likes of palace spending 30 mil on strikers while we are struggling to pull off a 15 mil deal for a player. It's ridiculous and we need a striker desperately!!!! Get that into your thick skull before mouthing off accusing everyone of not being true supporters. Oh and don't let the door hit you on the back of the ass either.

Clinton hardly kicked a ball last season. Anyone who thinks they saw enough of him in a spurs shirt to come to a conclusion about his suitability is never going to be happy with anything we do,

Yeah great post.

Loads of bargains out there and Pochettino is bound to develop all of them into worldbeaters.

Once that is done and the players get a bit older they will stay despite the attention of suitors but no worry.

As we are a selling club and as long as we survive and maybe get to the odd final here and there what's there to improve?

Once Pochettino signs his 25 year contract to just develop hopefuls we can get about the business of watching the so called smaller clubs making stupidly high bids for players of quality safe in the knowledge that whatever quality they do bring in won't match us..

I like it. In fact I hope Wanyama is the most we spend on any player until 2020.

Yeah great post.

Loads of bargains out there and Pochettino is bound to develop all of them into worldbeaters.

Once that is done and the players get a bit older they will stay despite the attention of suitors but no worry.

As we are a selling club and as long as we survive and maybe get to the odd final here and there what's there to improve?

Once Pochettino signs his 25 year contract to just develop hopefuls we can get about the business of watching the so called smaller clubs making stupidly high bids for players of quality safe in the knowledge that whatever quality they do bring in won't match us..

I like it. In fact I hope Wanyama is the most we spend on any player until 2020.

Are you Harry fucking Hotspur in disguise?

I don't get why anyone is citing Palace as an example of 'spending big'...
Are you saying you want us to go for James Tomkins, re-sign Townsend, and blow the rest on Benteke?

Fuck me!!!

Are you saying you want us to go for James Tomkins, re-sign Townsend, and blow the rest on Benteke?

Fuck me!!!

That's not the point though smart ass. The point is that palace are more than capable to go out and spend large amounts of money on certain individuals they need but Spurs now for the 4th transfer window running are dithering on another striker target when clearly we are in desperate need for one. Rather than throw your toys out the pram and accuse every spurs fan who questions our transfer policy, think about it.......4 transfer windows and still no striker. How is this acceptable?

That's not the point though smart ass. The point is that palace are more than capable to go out and spend large amounts of money on certain individuals they need but Spurs now for the 4th transfer window running are dithering on another striker target when clearly we are in desperate need for one. Rather than throw your toys out the pram and accuse every spurs fan who questions our transfer policy, think about it.......4 transfer windows and still no striker. How is this acceptable?

Unbelievable mate. Honestly I just don't understand some Spurs fans.

Your point times 2.

And we need 2 strikers but 4 windows, next to no net transfer outlay and still we act like chumps.

Fuck me!!!
they have the money and they buy players they know but in spurs its a big club not a middle team at premier league .

TBF Palace's "Big Spend," is a bid to stay in the division and ensure the TV revenue keeps coming. Their big signings will have relegation pay cuts and release clauses. They are shopping at Aldis we are window shopping at Waitrose.

Everyone saying we need to spend big to send a message. We're building a stadium, our transfer budget in this time will be meagre. Woolwich had the same issues when they were investing in their stadium. Also at a time when building costs were lower and transfers were not as astronomical.

Still let's spunk £30m+ on a player because everyone else is.

Back
Top Bottom