Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure how i feel about Wijnaldum

In short, we want another AM

We'd sell Chadli, Mason, and Son if we got the right offers

Chadli and Mason perhaps, not Son. He's got a lot to give and Poch will unlock it this year.

As for Wijnaldum, he clearly knows where the goal is, grabbed a few assists and may link up wel with Janssen and the other players from the Dutch league.

Bats had ridiculous wage demands which would have torn our team to pieces and created real problems. It wasn't the case of 40m here and 100K a week. It was a case of 40 Million there, and then about 2-300k a week in wages. That is a pretty obvious problem.

Some will have agreed with Harry, others wouldn't have. Nobody fully agrees on any transfer. Every player has weaknesses. It's whether their strengths make up for their weaknesses in the position they play. Jansen looks like a very well rounded player, and we have already signed a midfielder. Melting doesn't make it happen faster, it just makes it all the more annoying for those actually trying to be a little patient with the club, and the clubs targets.

Not sure how i feel about Wijnaldum

In short, we want another AM

We'd sell Chadli, Mason, and Son if we got the right offers

Apparently he wasn't sure how he felt about you neither. Clearly the chemistry was not instant.

I rate Pochettino but think he expected too much from the squad last season and kind of got stage fright in the last 2/3 games. No worries there as he is young in managerial terms and had never been in the cauldron of a title run-in before. Of course much the same could be said of the players.

However if we buy Janssen and do not add another 2 players at least then I will retain a nagging doubt that he has or knows what it takes to get to the summit.

I make him more sensible than that.

I've read a lot about him, but have never seen him play.

From what I've read over the years, certainly since he was 14/15, he's quite the talent. City have tried and failed to poach him, as well as Spam I think, and McDermott raves about him when pressed.

I think we've seen little of him playing as he's yet to sign a professional contract (even though he was offered one in December, that's he's not yet signed). Very much like Reece Oxford at Spam, as soon as you start playing these unprotected young players, the lazy-scouting oil-rich clubs (like Chelsea) take notice and start trying to poach them for next to nothing.

If he signs a pro deal, he'll be seen playing next season, I have no doubt about that.

As long as we don't sign Sissoko, I'm happy.

Something tells me he lacks the work ethic needed for poch :pochrolleyes:

cPGpqSZo3muIw.gif

Last edited:
I rate Pochettino but think he expected too much from the squad last season and kind of got stage fright in the last 2/3 games. No worries there as he is young in managerial terms and had never been in the cauldron of a title run-in before. Of course much the same could be said of the players.

However if we buy Janssen and do not add another 2 players at least then I will retain a nagging doubt that he has or knows what it takes to get to the summit.

I make him more sensible than that.

You, however, obviously do. FM has trained you well over the years.

Shut the fuck up. You do not know more about football or management than Poch. End of. Jog on.

Like the Wijnaldum link, could be a nice squad player.

To be blunt.....fuck "a nice squad player".

As a mentioned in a post above, we're one player, maybe two, from an ideal squad purely in terms of numbers. With Janssen - hopefully - close, we're there. If the story about Edwards is true, then we're with those two, at the point where we really need to let players go, to take any more in.

I'm all for adding to the squad from the outside to increase the overall quality. But doing so should only be with players who aren't squad players, but ones who can truly push the existing starting eleven.

I'd much rather keep as big a part as possible of core of the group together than bring in a "so so level" player and need to replace someone. Even if that someone is also so so.

I'd even take keeping Mason over bringing a squad player, but that'll probably ruin my point because there's such a negative feeling towards him. So let's say we fill the last two remaining spots in the squad with Janssen and Edwards, and then sell Mason to clear the path for one more. I would always prefer to actually utilize someone like Pritchard, who'd also have to be sold or be left on the very outskirts of the squad, if we bring in Wijnaldum.

Lloris/Vorm
Walker/Trippier
Rose/Davies
Alderwiereld/Vertonghen/Wimmer/Dier/CCV
Dembele/Dier/Wanyama/Bentaleb/Mason*/Carroll*
Lamela/Eriksen/Alli/Wijnaldum/Son/Chadli*/Onomah/Pritchard*
Kane/Janssen/Clinton

*Maybe sold.

If we were to sign the targets then that's certainly be a good squad to cover the league, cups and Europe. Experience all over the team and players who are willing to step up and prove they should be starting.

Last edited:
To be blunt.....fuck "a nice squad player".

As a mentioned in a post above, we're one player, maybe two, from an ideal squad purely in terms of numbers. With Janssen - hopefully - close, we're there. If the story about Edwards is true, then we're with those two, at the point where we really need to let players go, to take any more in.

I'm all for adding to the squad from the outside to increase the overall quality. But doing so should only be with players who aren't squad players, but ones who can truly push the existing starting eleven.

I'd much rather keep as big a part as possible of core of the group together than bring in a "so so level" player and need to replace someone. Even if that someone is also so so.

I'd even take keeping Mason over bringing a squad player, but that'll probably ruin my point because there's such a negative feeling towards him. So let's say we fill the last two remaining spots in the squad with Janssen and Edwards, and then sell Mason to clear the path for one more. I would always prefer to actually utilize someone like Pritchard, who'd also have to be sold or be left on the very outskirts of the squad, if we bring in Wijnaldum.
Wijnaldum is probably a better option than someone like Chadli or even Pritch.

Back
Top Bottom