Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fact is, once again we have a player our manager really wants to sign. We have a player who really wants to join us. And once again we fail to land the player due to Levy refusing to sanction the deal. What makes this even more hard to take, we seemingly lost out to fucking team that's only qualified for CL football once in the last decade and finished 8th last season. It's all very well for us to say he ain't worth whatever. Klopp and Poch obviously think he is.
Evidence, once again, the Levy will always put profit over progress

DeeGee has already covered the key points why I don't agree with this POV.

You would think also Sissoko will leave Newcastle, fits the build for an 'aggressive offensive player' that Poch recently described he wanted in the press. Questionable character but unquestionable talent, dont think he can aspire to anything higher than us at the moment but his stock has probably doubled since the euros, and I still havent forgiven him for that dive in the 5-1

Isco wouldn't give "eriksen a kick up the bum", he'd completely obliterate him. Isco vs Eriksen is a none contest.

Can anyone really say they've seen Eriksen develop over the past 3 years? He's one of the only players in the squad who hasn't improved.

This is true. I think, if you look at his general performances, his style of play has stayed the same, and his form peaks and troughs like a sine wave. Walker and Rose have gone from "LOL as if a big club would want them" to indispensible players, Alderweireld has gone from an Atletico reject to one of the best defenders we've had in the PL (obvs behind King), Vertonghen has improved next to Toby, Dembele has gone from "out of time" to "never sell him", Kane has turned into an indispensible striker, even Lamela is now seen as a key player, when we were on the verge of nigh on giving him away not so long ago.

It's hard to think of a player that hasn't improved under Poch (except perhaps CE), but it's a good place to be where I can't think of a single player that we *need* to get rid of (i.e. squad liabilities, hard to shift players). That's a good sign, surely?

You would think also Sissoko will leave Newcastle, fits the build for an 'aggressive offensive player' that Poch recently described he wanted in the press. Questionable character but unquestionable talent, dont think he can aspire to anything higher than us at the moment but his stock has probably doubled since the euros, and I still havent forgiven him for that dive in the 5-1

I'd be worried about him being a midfield version of Adebayor. Seems to be motivated by the wrong things, and it's hard to imagine him not unsettling the squad.

Very good player, shame about his motivations.

Something like 'thanks ENIC for 7 years of record league consistency, 9 out of 10 seasons in Europe, the new training complex, lodge and stadium. But enough is enough bring back the cup team..:)
Surprised I never realised neo football was about assets/ bricks and mortar . I naively thought it was about passion , soul , ethics and rather stupidly glory .. In my day I had a picture of a Glen Hoddle , Alfie Conn , Jimmy neighbour or Ricky Villa on my bedroom wall."""
I never realised that the " training complex " would be the poster of choice . I had a lovely
few of FA/UEFA cup winners .

Last edited:
Surprised I never realised neo football was about assets/ bricks and mortar . In my day I had a picture of a Glen Hoddle , Alfie Conn , Jimmy neighbour or Ricky Villa on my bedroom wall."""
I never realised that the " training complex " would be the poster of choice . I had a lovely
Same here mate. Alfie Conn was God. I was present for all our cup wins.
I saw spurs play about 6 times in UEFA cup comps from about 77 until ENIC took over and a few times in the now defunct cup winners cup.
The fact is football is different now. Even Forest, Ipswich and QPR had pin up players in those days. Football has changed dramatically.
Those great cup winning times also brought us to the brink of collapse. We could have been finished as a club.
We haven't been the same since then. We missed the boat and were in decline and going nowhere before ENIC bought us. There was no plan before. We seemed content with Spurs lodge and WHL whilst our neighbours were thinking ahead in 96. We also did not get lucky with the buy outs and Chavs did ( if you would have wanted things that way) just after ENIC took over.
One may have been the clause ENIC made to the shareholders on take over but more possibly that our team needed a complete overhaul and Stamford bridge had some Hotels and a better developed facilities & stadium which held more.
Yet, we are now more consistent in the league and in Europe now than we ever were in my time. We have achieved this whilst investing money in big club facilities.
We aint won as much, no. Then again since the inception of the PL and the 'top 4' who has won the FA cup from outside the top 4.
Chelsea, Everton, Portsmouth, Wigan?
It aint all that bad. Liverpool have also just won one league cup in a decade. Everton have won nothing too.

Surprised I never realised neo football was about assets/ bricks and mortar . I naively thought it was about passion , soul , ethics and rather stupidly glory .. In my day I had a picture of a Glen Hoddle , Alfie Conn , Jimmy neighbour or Ricky Villa on my bedroom wall."""
I have an oil on canvas of Alan Hutton holding aloft the Carling Cup.
There is still Glory in supporting Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom