Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyway, I'm way past the arch Tory Nick "Trevor" Sharp Nick "Trevor" Sharp 's witching hour, so I'd best be off. I wouldn't want to upset one so humble as he. "No sorr, so god forgive me Nick and no mistake."

For the record Joe, I like you as a poster. It's just that I've noticed that the only times I find myself thinking you sound like a pillock are after midnight. It's all very Jekyll & Hyde.

It's only my opinion, I'm sure it won't bother you too much. Just like you've decided I'm an Arch Tory because I disagreed with hyperbolic Cameron hate; it doesn't bother me too much. I'd rather you saw through that, but such is the nature of internet forums. You can't please everyone.

For the record Joe, I like you as a poster. It's just that I've noticed that the only times I find myself thinking you sound like a pillock are after midnight. It's all very Jekyll & Hyde.

No Nick, you're wrong. I sound like a pillock all the time. It must be your perception that changes at midnight, and your politics are no business of mine. I certainly wouldn't like to be called an arch Tory, and for that I apologise.

I usually love the transfer windows. But with our likely increased spending power and "football ambition pull" with CL-football on offer, combined with the fact that the media just like everyone else seem to have no insight into what Poch wants to bring in, I suspect the amount of players we'll be linked with will be off the charts. Even by Spurs standards. I don't know if I can handle months of " *Insert random junk media* understands that...." and " *Insert random player* will sign within two weeks, combined with waiting to see our boys in the CL.

Might have to leave civilization for a few months. Anyone know if rent's cheap on the North Pole? :angryscouser:

I usually love the transfer windows. But with our likely increased spending power and "football ambition pull" with CL-football on offer, combined with the fact that the media just like everyone else seem to have no insight into what Poch wants to bring in, I suspect the amount of players we'll be linked with will be off the charts. Even by Spurs standards. I don't know if I can handle months of " *Insert random junk media* understands that...." and " *Insert random player* will sign within two weeks, combined with waiting to see our boys in the CL.

Might have to leave civilization for a few months. Anyone know if rent's cheap on the North Pole? :angryscouser:
54d4057325f9a_-_tumblr_m5yt5nvmeg1rphknyo1_500.gif

Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb

When it comes to defensive mids, what's your take on William Carvalho? A year or two ago, I guess, we wouldn't have any chance on him, but would it be on for us to get him with CL footie coming to the Lane? Fee? Also, did his form drop off? It seems strange for someone who everybody and their dog wanted to sign is still at Sporting at 24.
He would be a "big name" signing. Leave them to the rich boys. Am I the only cunt other than sammyspurs sammyspurs that loves what we have & wants to keep it? Ffs. We are on the cusp of great things. Keep this bunch tight & I will bet a wank (for an old man that's a commitment) to a sticky finger that we will be troubling the sky 4 for a long time.

He would be a "big name" signing. Leave them to the rich boys. Am I the only cunt other than sammyspurs sammyspurs that loves what we have & wants to keep it? Ffs. We are on the cusp of great things. Keep this bunch tight & I will bet a wank (for an old man that's a commitment) to a sticky finger that we will be troubling the sky 4 for a long time.

Oh, I agree very much. I spent the majority of the January thread arguing against the need to buy a striker for the sake of it, so you're preaching to the choir. I think, it's essential that we only add (and ship off) a few players and do our research very well, at least as much in regards to the personality as the ability/potential of the incomings, and I think that's Poch's thinking as well.

Carvalho's name just popped up somewhere, and I got curious as to Nabil's thoughts on him and why he hasn't progressed, as he seemed a similar type of player to Dier, from what little I have seen of him. And I happen to think that someone who can perform the same role as Dier is one of the few incomings, we should have. Barring that someone from the academy can fulfill the role.

Oh, I agree very much. I spent the majority of the January thread arguing against the need to buy a striker for the sake of it, so you're preaching to the choir. I think, it's essential that we only add (and ship off) a few players and do our research very well, at least as much in regards to the personality as the ability/potential of the incomings, and I think that's Poch's thinking as well.

Carvalho's name just popped up somewhere, and I got curious as to Nabil's thoughts on him and why he hasn't progressed, as he seemed a similar type of player to Dier, from what little I have seen of him. And I happen to think that someone who can perform the same role as Dier is one of the few incomings, we should have. Barring that someone from the academy can fulfill the role.
I am probably (definitely) talking tipsy shit here. But. I think we should keep our first XI together. I can't think of too many players (apart from Sausage John McGinn of course) that would improve us. Signings are great when needed. Apart from the obvious back up for Harry & Eric , where are we missing badly??

On the one hand, you'd imagine our transfer committee has the desired targets lined up and Poch would want to bring them in ASAP for pre-season training...

But on the other hand, young players often like to see if they can broadcast their talents in the Euros and won't move until after then. I seriously hope we don't have to wait too long.

I'd love us to get a young promising midfielder like Tielemans in, another young CB and splash the rest of the money on one massive statement signing that could also play as a striker worst case.
Someone like Bale or Griezmann.

A team like that would win the league within 1 - 2 seasons and we'd be able to have a proper go at winning the CL.
I don't see the point in playimg CL without at least seriously trying to win the thing.
We're not Woolwich.

If in some crazy world where we've signed Lukaku then we'd line up like this,
Lloris

Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose

Dier

Dembele - Alli

Eriksen

Kane - Lukaku​

Nah. We'd realise that Lukaku doesn't fit our system, and he'd be about as succesful as Benteke in Liverpool.

Lukaku should not be a target for us, for a bunch of reasons.

In terms of player type, he'd fit in perfectly with us. But risk/reward might be too negatively skewed as he's most likely on massive wages after moving on a free as a huge talent. We'd be able to get better talent for less financial risk imho.

But what are massive wages in Germany?

I read yesterday that Shelvey (£80k/w) will make more money in Championship with Newcastle than Neymar (£77k/w) makes winning the league and CL with Barcelona (bonuses not included).

We have one striker mate, it is the position in most urgent need of an option and cover doesn't have to mean bang-average or a kid just because we have Kane. Ok Lukaku might be pushing it but I for one want us to have another quality player in this position.

We want to compete in the Champions League up to knockout stages,
try to win a domestic cup AND genuinely challenge for the Premier League title again.

Please name a club that have two top strikers alternating for one spot in a 4-2-3-1 succesfully. It doesn't work.

Dzeko, Negredo, Bony in City all failed as backups to Aguero. Lukaku would do the same for us.

If we'd buy him.

Which we wouldn't. Because he's not the type we need. Because we haven't got the money to pay what Everton would demand. Because he wouldn't join us without a guarantee that he'd be first choice.

Kane can play in the number 10 role Kane is a complete footballer. He's not just a forward.
There is no reason why Kane and someone like Lukaku can't play together in a 4321, as long as they both are adhering to the team ethics.
Kane has been compared to Sheringham.
Look at Sheringham/Klinnsmann and Sheringham/Armstrong.

I don't get this 'he has to be willing to sit on the bench' mantra, especially as the same people are saying Kane needs a rest.
We have played 47 game already this season, and will be playing 53 by the end of it.
We also could have played more.

Your Sheringham examples are from an era when teams mainly played 4-4-2. The meta game has changed, and I think we can all agree that our current system works pretty fucking brilliantly.

Can Kane play AMC? Sure. Is he as efficient there as the alternatives? No. Can Lukaku play as our striker? Sure. Would he be as good and efficient there as Kane? I doubt it. Is it worth spending €60M+ on being a bit worse off in two positions? No.

Back
Top Bottom