Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why is everyone so big on replacements when it's quite obvious Poch has faith in the youth.

First it was a replacement for Ade and Bobby. Step up God.

Then it was Schneiderlin. Step up Dier.

We have one of the best academies. Let's not do a Jose and Chelsea and butcher their chances with signings for signings sake.

Sissoko is not worth 30m.
Never said he was. I think he's a desperate signing at the death. You've seen the academy lads. They are promising. That is it. If you think that we can go into CL & compete with lads who haven't even had a season in the Prem, then good luck & I hope you're right. Personally, I think we lack experience in the PL, let alone against Europe's finest.

Exhibit A- Dortmund away.

It's based on revenue. This from 2 years ago. We're now 10th apparently

Deloitte Football Money League - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That says we are 12th BEHIND Utd Chelsea, City, Goons and Liverpool. So The fact we regularly finish higher than one of them and recent above 4 of them highlights what a good job Levy is doing.

Plus we will be up there due to the money generate by levy in player sales over the last few years which have been piled into buying land and funding the stadium.

I'm frankly sick to death of the levy hate on here. In his tenure of it weren't for the financial "cheating" of Chelsea and City we would be a regular CL side and frequent title challengers. And that's from dire mid table obscurity.

I won't deny his apparent transfer window antics can be frustrating as fuck at times but on the whole the guy has worked bloody wonders and some people on here need to weigh up their grumbles a bit more evenly.

We havent improved our starting 11 when the clubs round us have

Not by signings, no - but hopefully we've grown some due to experience. All I'm saying is that we are overreacting a bit. We addressed our greatest weaknesses from last season (Wanyama/Janssen), shed some squad players on higher salaries than their (youth) replacements and we're still a competitive side. We simply aren't as ambitious as our competition financially but we're banking on inside growth and Poch I guess. I'm confident in the squad and Poch. Levy is what he is.

Or maybe we could have just upgraded one position, is that asking too much? While I am happy with the two we have brought in they are more cover for Kane and Dier. I don't think with the add on of CL football that buying one star to push us on is asking too much.
Oh, I agree. I'm disappointed that we didn't pursue Isco more. I do think that one or two more outfield players would have helped us compete across all competitions.

Never said he was. I think he's a desperate signing at the death. You've seen the academy lads. They are promising. That is it. If you think that we can go into CL & compete with lads who haven't even had a season in the Prem, then good luck & I hope you're right. Personally, I think we lack experience in the PL, let alone against Europe's finest.

Exhibit A- Dortmund away.

Dortmund away is not the same. We know why we sent a weaker side.

We won't be doing that in CL.

It will also be a lot of our more established players first season in CL. Yet we have faith in them.

This worry is exactly the same as last season and it was unfounded.

We have DM cover. We have ST cover.

How people think we are now weaker with the same 1st XI and now that cover is beyond me.

Unless they're looking for reasons to be melty.

Which is absolutely ridiculous.

Crazy numbers, but we have to accept that with new money flowing in this is the new reality. It is not just the "big" clubs that are splashing cash these days. This deal, Brahimi, Bolassie, with more to come shows that if we plan to do things the way we always have then we won't secure established players, and we will be foreced to gamble with bargain buys.
Not to say this can't work, last season proved that, but as more teams spend, then chances of us competing in various competitions diminishes. There is no doubt out top 11 is great and we have adequate subs at many of the positions. However, for a club that craved CL, and has ambition to compete there while also competing in our league, we have not done the necessary business. That doesn't mean I don't believe in Poch, or that I won't support this club each and every week, but there are new realities, surely our management can see this.

I think we need a creative midfielder and another Central attacking midfielder.
However, we all say how Poch is a genius. The best manager in the PL. We always talk him up so maybe we have to trust his judgement. If he feels 18 man squad and rest made up of 2 U21 players ( Dele & N'igma) and academy players -which are now good enough - we have to trust him. Dont we?
He will live and die by his decisions.
I ain't forgot why Pochettino was brought here. He's doing that.
We just have to hope he and the staff manage the players like they did last season, and it wasn't luck.
If we get a few injuries simultaneously to first team players, especially in the CB and CM positions, I think we will struggle.
We will have the majority of our squad not resting over the international break and we have a very tough season.

Just because others around us have doesn't mean we have to. We have a great squad and if we wanted to improve our starting XI we would have to pay through the nose for a player of better quality than what we have now.

We finished 3rd last season with that starting XI I hope I'm wrong but I see United, city and Chelsea all challenging for the league that leaves us, Woolwich and Liverpool fighting it out for 4th place both them teams have significantly strengthen their starting XI where as we have stood still, as I've mentioned before i thought breaking into the champions would allow us to really kick on and improve our XI not just squad and it hasn't been the case.

Im not saying go out and spend the amounts of the two Manchester clubs but flip me another season in profit, I just feel we've once again let a massive opportunity pass by, so so frustrating

Exactly. The first team will be playing many more games (we hope). More chance of burnout and injury. Why are you so against the idea of strengthening the first team? It just seems bloody minded to me.
Again. Injury and burnout was an excuse for doom and gloom last year.

How am I against improvement? I was all for Isco, because he was gettable.

Other than him I've seen no player we've been linked with as a definite improvement of our 1st XI.

Back
Top Bottom