Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chelsea league winners last year and they are improving their side with some quality additions including going for Morata which is being reported today. Why are we accepting that we can't improve this team? It seems certain Spurs fans are just happy to accept us doing fuck all in this window despite last season proving we didn't have a good enough squad to compete in both the CL and the title hunt. Every single team around us are buying quality and improving so why are Spurs as per usual standing still doing fuck all?

A goalkeeper who wouldn't get into any of the teams finishing in the top 6 and a centre back who is absolutely awful.

STRENGTH.

They have Anders Christensen whos better, yet they'll probably get rid of him and I genuinely believe Ake is better too and they've already fucked him off.

Morata isn't better than Costa either.

Chelsea league winners last year and they are improving their side with some quality additions including going for Morata which is being reported today. Why are we accepting that we can't improve this team? It seems certain Spurs fans are just happy to accept us doing fuck all in this window despite last season proving we didn't have a good enough squad to compete in both the CL and the title hunt. Every single team around us are buying quality and improving so why are Spurs as per usual standing still doing fuck all?
They're losing Costa and Hazard is out injured. If you're going to bleat at least bleat correctly.

Deloitte Football Money League - Wikipedia

Chelsea's revenue is 168M per year more than us - we have always had to take punts on buying players and improving them, now a punt is not as good as our first 11 and probably not as good as our reserves. Love the fact we are still promoting youth and it has worked very well over the last few years.

If we spend £50M + on the players that will improve us we have to pay the associated wage which proves difficult. Also if we get a gem of a deal before others around us have finished we will be gazumped (Willian) by those with more resource - Look at the fees being quoted once Woolwich have got involved with Lemar. Out best bet to get quality in is to wait until others have finished - its not great with regards to pre-season but I understand it.

:dier:

I'm worried that as fans and as a club we might be stuck in the past. Swansea have just turned down 40 mil for Siggy - 40 million Great British Pounds. And are demanding 50.

Yet it seems like we are still hunting for that £18-25 mil player (which would have been a decent fee 3/4 years ago) but I just don't think they're there anymore.

If we want to add real quality we are looking at spending upwards of £40 mil on one player and I just don't get the impression we will this summer.

Maybe there is still value to be had abroad and I guess that is our approach. But we've been linked with that Kovacic - if Siggy can command 50mil than fuck knows what Real would want for him. Hopefully the hyper inflation hasn't hit Spain as hard.

Like has been said ad nauseum on here we need that extra bit of quality, one or two first-team ready acquisitions, if we want to win the league and not get embarrassed in Europe.

I'm worried that as fans and as a club we might be stuck in the past. Swansea have just turned down 40 mil for Siggy - 40 million Great British Pounds. And are demanding 50.

Yet it seems like we are still hunting for that £18-25 mil player (which would have been a decent fee 3/4 years ago) but I just don't think they're there anymore.

If we want to add real quality we are looking at spending upwards of £40 mil on one player and I just don't get the impression we will this summer.

Maybe there is still value to be had abroad and I guess that is our approach. But we've been linked with that Kovacic - if Siggy can command 50mil than fuck knows what Real would want for him. Hopefully the hyper inflation hasn't hit Spain as hard.

Like has been said ad nauseum on here we need that extra bit of quality, one or two first-team ready acquisitions, if we want to win the league and not get embarrassed in Europe.

...+ WAGES.

I'm not sure winning the league is on our immediate financial agenda right now.

Wait till the likes of Leicester get relegated and have cant afford the high end wages of their crap squad ......and if Siggy is worth 50M, then why are Swansea so shite?

Just because Everton are paying top bracket prices for lower league players that couldnt even get into the Sunderland squad, it doesnt mean Spurs should abandon a stable policy and follow on.

There is a weird feeling among some fans that because other clubs are doing some atrocious business, we should also do that. Mental.

Come on Levy, you tight arse......

varyemez-amca.gif

Stop scoogemcducking and spend some sheckles. The ungrateful masses need appeasing. Even Swansea are making us look like mugs now!! Fuck your meticulously balanced books. That stadium will have to sort itself out.

Just sign someone / anyone NOW..... and it better be for big money!

Last edited:
Really? He has been better than a goal every other game for 3 Premier League seasons. Good luck replacing that.
Him leaving Chelsea is great news, it should be a national holiday.

What's not to like....

They go into pre-season with question marks over the #1 spot (and Batshuayi's future)... Potentially replaced by a lesser striker... Potential managerial unrest due to the entire clusterfuck.... And we likey don't have to see that ugly scumbag Costa again.

:pochsmirk:

Wait till the likes of Leicester get relegated and have cant afford the high end wages of their crap squad ......and if Siggy is worth 50M, then why are Swansea so shite?

Just because Everton are paying top bracket prices for lower league players that couldnt even get into the Sunderland squad, it doesnt mean Spurs should abandon a stable policy and follow on.

There is a weird feeling among some fans that because other clubs are doing some atrocious business, we should also do that. Mental.
It's a near classic case of "if everyone else jumped off a bridge would you do it as well?"

Have they though?

I mean, outside of the realm of bored journalists, have they?

I'm not suggesting that we match Everton's gung ho approach. Simply saying that transfer fees have moved on incredibly quickly and £30 million for Sissoko now looks like a standard purchase rather than a massive outlay.

I think even with a year left on his contract we'll have to get close to £30 mil for Barkley simply because if we don't someone else will.

What is the Adrien Silva latest? Translation please

giphy.gif

We're still quids-in in this market...

Voorm: £40m... Better than Pickford and likely the bloke City bought too.... Amirite?
Davies: £40m... Better than some of the Top 6 have... And the 2017 version of Everton's LB. Euro's semi-finalist... Ink still drying on a new contract.... Seeing as KW/DR can't be bought for £40m domestically... 'Maybe' our back-ups could? ( : P )

:kaneear:

Imagine going back in time and telling 2013 version of yourself that in 4 years time, Siggy would be valued by the media as £50m, people turned their noses up at Ross Barkley, Rooney would be back at Everton on a free, and Paulinho was linked with Barca

:pochshock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom