Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ending in ‘os’

rk0fuf.png

What? How does that have any bearing on whether we're better going into this season than a year ago?

Oh, and in case you missed it - we're actively trying to ship off two of those semi finalists.
Have you played football to a decent level? Like, not Sunday morning (where the pressure is zero).

If so, you know full well that playing in the latter stages of ''prestigious'' competitions (whether that be a F.A. Vase or a World Cup, depending on your level) gives you a wealth of experience. Winning that penalty shootout v. Colombia alone is worth it's weight in gold when dealing with pressure situations. Much like when we folded against Chelsea, these lads have now come out the other side of highly pressured competition. And won.

All those players who played in the latter stages of the World Cup will be better players for it. As they all, to a man, have already said.

Kieran Trippier will be a better player. Davinson Sanchez will be a better player. Harry Kane. Dele Alli.

Any player of this game understands that with experience comes improvement. And what an experience they've just had.

No matter what happens today, I'm still confident going into the new season. We haven't lost any of our main players, and they are another year old with more experience. The England lads would have picked up some great experience during the World Cup.

- Lloris -
- Trippier - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Davies -
- Winks - Dier - Eriksen -
- Dele - Son -
- Kane -
That team could still beat anyone. Plus with Lamela, Moura, Dembele*, Wanyama, Alderweireld* and others still here we have players who can come in. Grealish would only add to that, maybe not as a starter, but as a player who can change a game.

Lets not write the season off yet.

Do you play football to a decent level?

If so, you know full well that playing in the latter stages of ''prestigious'' (whether that be a F.A. Vase or a World Cup, depending on your level) gives you a wealth of experience. Winning that penalty shootout v. Colombia alone is worth it's weight in gold when dealing with pressure situations. Much like when we folded against Chelsea, these lads have now come out the other side of highly pressured competition. And won.

All those players who played in the latter stages of the World Cup will be better players for it. As they all, to a man, have already said.

Kieran Trippier will be a better player. Davinson Sanchez will be a better player. Harry Kane. Dele Alli.

Any player of this game understands that with experience comes improvement. And what an experience they've just had.
Are we really falling back on that as definitive squad improvement? I agree that getting to the semis is good experience for them, but I don't think it makes up for bringing in no-one to improve the team.

Also, what then of Toby and Rose? If your logic of the semi final experience being so important holds true then has it made the other players sufficiently better to mitigate shipping those two out with no incomings?

I'd say it doesn't. I'd say it leaves us thinner than we were before.

Back
Top Bottom