Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the weakess era of the Premier League era, where a Leicester pub team and Victor Moses won titles.

Monopoly money is irrelevant - Pochettino has a squad capable of winning, and has had for 3 seasons. In that time, Conte and Ranieri have won things with inferior teams, St Poch has won nothing.

What’s the cut off point for him to deliver success? 5 years?

Mate, stop embarrassing yourself. You're no Spurs fan so kindly fuck off to where you belong.

A Woolwich toilet.

I do admire the bullishness of most on here but it’s hard to argue that Liverpool aren’t spending well and improving.

They are the complete opposite to us. They are spending like they want to compete with City and win the league, plus have another go at the CL. Spurs lack of activity means we just want to be plodding along as per usual with no trophies to our name for another season.

In the weakess era of the Premier League era, where a Leicester pub team and Victor Moses won titles.

Monopoly money is irrelevant - Pochettino has a squad capable of winning, and has had for 3 seasons. In that time, Conte and Ranieri have won things with inferior teams, St Poch has won nothing.

What’s the cut off point for him to deliver success? 5 years?

Mate this is going to be my last message to you about this because you're clearly a bit of an armchair fan a bit or a glory boy and someone that hasn't given it a seconds thought about the groundwork Pochettino put in place to get us where he has.

I'll sign off with this. Roberto Martinez has won more cups domestically with Wigan than Pochettino has with Spurs. Martinez also relegated Wigan that year and they have not been in the Premier League ever since, with a very strong chance they never will again. Competing in the league is far more important to our growth than a domestic cup win and even if I think a bit more money could have been spent in areas where we needed it I don't know the financial situation of the club so I can't pass judgement on it. The 86 points won in our most successful season with Pochettino would have been enough to have won the Premier League 8 times since it began back in the early 90's, with a further two being tied on equal points as the eventual winners that year.

Pochettino has done a great job turning our fortunes around. He's turned us from a team that wins the occasional cup to one that's consistent in the League. If that's a success that you can't recognise compared to the longevity of Wigans FA Cup success or how Leicester have performed after their once in a lifetime league win then I don't know what else to say.

Last edited:
I do admire the bullishness of most on here but it’s hard to argue that Liverpool aren’t spending well and improving.

They are spending well within their means. We cannot go out and spend £200,000,000 like they have this summer. There is your difference.

Until the transfer window ends. I can't comment on our business. 3 and a half weeks is a fucking long time in football.

Sanchez, Aurier, Llorente, Foyth, Gazzaniga all signed within the last week of the window.

They are spending well within their means. We cannot go out and spend £200,000,000 like they have this summer.

Until the transfer window ends. I can't comment on our business. 3 and a half weeks is a fucking long time in football.
Oh I agree and I’m very confident we’ll bring 3/4 in. Just no idea who and what positions

No it isn't. People say they're worried that we're being overtaken by Liverpool and you respond with "we finish above Liverpool every year lmao", yet Liverpool have been steadily increasing for years now and pretty much all their transfers have been spot on. They've also managed to promote youth players like Alexander-Arnold
They haven’t “increased” any more than we have. Their last few league finishes have been 4th, 4th, 8th, 6th. Ours were 3rd, 2nd, 3rd 5th. Does that really reflect them steadily increasing? The chances are they will have a successful season next year but frankly, like City, they HAVE to based on the amounts they’ve been spending. If they fail with all the dealings they’ve been doing they’ll be slaughtered.

People should at least stick to their story. Liverpool's spending hasn't improved them. (If) they finish above us = they only finished above us because they spent a fortune.

They haven’t “increased” any more than we have. Their last few league finishes have been 4th, 4th, 8th, 6th. Ours were 3rd, 2nd, 3rd 5th. Does that really reflect them steadily increasing? The chances are they will have a successful season next year but frankly, like City, they HAVE to based on the amounts they’ve been spending. If they fail with all the dealings they’ve been doing they’ll be slaughtered.
They seem to have fixed their defence and on paper improved their midfield massively. Now they're adding a good goalkeeper, you'd be an idiot not to worry about them

They seem to have fixed their defence and on paper improved their midfield massively. Now they're adding a good goalkeeper, you'd be an idiot not to worry about them
Yeah I’m worried that they’ve improved for next season, but what can we do about it? As keeps being reiterated, we can’t afford to spend the amounts that they do. I trust Poch to do the best he can with our squad and a couple of smart signings and I’m sure we’ll still give them a run for their money. They may well finish above us next year, but frankly they should do as Klopp is like a kid in a candy shop right now.

No it isn't. People say they're worried that we're being overtaken by Liverpool and you respond with "we finish above Liverpool every year lmao", yet Liverpool have been steadily increasing for years now and pretty much all their transfers have been spot on. They've also managed to promote youth players like Alexander-Arnold

Liverpool have been steadily increasing for years now yet every year we finish above them. What does that say for Tottenhams growth then?

And young players that have come through over the past few years.. how about all the unknowns we've turned into multi million national level players. We've given the likes of Kyle Walker, Danny Rose, Eric Dier, & Dele platform other big clubs didn't think twice about doing and they've all become players most of those big clubs would want in their team, not to mention giving Kane his chance when teams like Woolwich & Watford turned him away.

Liverpools transfers have been spot on? Mignolet, Karius, Lovren, Oxlade-Chamberlain for £40m with 1 year left of his contract, Solanke, Origi, Ings? Pretty much all of their transfers have been spot on? Have a word mate they've done great business but they still haven't finished above us under Klopp and they still haven't won a trophy under Klopp. That could well and should well change this year but they're far from the well oiled machine with all of their riches you've made them out to be compared to Spurs. Sorry mate just my opinion on the matter

Last edited:
It's cost us nearly £1bn to build our stadium, it didn't cost them a penny, hence they just gained about a £1bn advantage on us regardless of our financial status compared to theirs.

But it's not their asset. They can't leverage it.

The haven't gained a £1bn pound because, in practical terms, they don't have it. If they wanted to get access to that money, they can't get it from the stadium.

They're treading water.

The haven't gained a £1bn pound because, in practical terms, they don't have it. If they wanted to get access to that money, they can't get it from the stadium.

They're treading water.

We've had to outlay £1bn in loans, interest rates, all other expenditure whereas West Ham get a 100 year pass without having to do so. They're treading water yes but they won't have to worry about it for a hundred years.

They get instant returns on match day revenue and can use it to lump on any old bastard the top 6 aren't interested in. Eventually they'll be up shit creek without a paddle but until then they get the rewards of big Premier League revenues and potentially a larger fan base generated because of it at no expense or outlay. It's not there but it's certainly making them a lot of money at the moment and will continue to do for a very long time

There's some costs they have to cover, and possibly a little bit of a % they give for renting the place but from what I know and understand they really have cut a huge short term financial corner. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong

They're treading water.
I see another half a million of taxpayers money was paid to some cunts to find a stadium sponsor...

Back
Top Bottom